Page 1 of 2 1 2
Best new rod help!! #12726266 04/22/18 07:30 PM
J
jbaker33 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
My second bonehead tackle rod finally bit the dust this weekend and broke. I went online to buy 2 more and I can not find them anywhere. Does anyone have any insight in to this or a recommendation to which rods are just as sensitive and nice as these were?

Re: Best new rod help!! [Re: jbaker33] #12726283 04/22/18 07:48 PM
T
TreeBass Offline
Lt. Dan
Lt. Dan
T
Several threads about whats the best rod. I've never used a bonehead rod, but my favorite rod is the 8' Proangler rods. Links in my sig

[Linked Image]

My success in life is measured by the number of hunting
and fishing stories that my kids can share with others

Sure-Life Products
Dobyns Rods
Holding The Line Guide Service
www.facebook.com/texasfishingforum
Re: Best new rod help!! [Re: jbaker33] #12726314 04/22/18 08:46 PM
F
Finaddict Offline
Angler
Angler
F
Without question lightest, most sensitive, and strongest backbone available is the G-Rod.

You know you are a fishaholic if you have more rods than your wife has shoes!

www.g-rods.com/collections/crappie-spinning
www.sscrapiejigs.com
www.constantpursuitoutfitters.com
www.chriswebbsfishing.com
www.fishingftworth.com

Survived Vietnam TET offensive 1968, 100% disabled compliments of Agent Orange.
NO regrets.....
Re: Best new rod help!! [Re: jbaker33] #12726325 04/22/18 08:59 PM
Three Nails Guide Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
For the money pro angler is hard it beat. Its all I use.

Mark Standridge
East Texas Crappie Guide
Fork Palestine
www.threenailsguide.com
www.facebook.com/threenailsguide
Re: Best new rod help!! [Re: jbaker33] #12726673 04/23/18 02:51 AM
C
canyoncreek06 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
Look into Waterloo Rods. They have made saltwater and bass rods for years. I finally got them to making and 8'ft crappie rod. They can wrap it with your choice of colors since they hand wrap these rods. Had mine wrapped in maroon and gold (SWT Grad). They are currently making one for my daughter and it is being wrapped in sea foam and coral along with her name on it. Hopefully it will be finished later this week. They are a little softer tip than the Pro Anglers I have but are also lighter by .05 of a pound.dance2 As soon as, they are finished with my daughters' I am going to have them make me another one with two inches cut off the tip. Mainly doing this so that I have two different actions and for horsing fish out of heavy cover.

>E

Columbus took a chance and he made it.
Re: Best new rod help!! [Re: jbaker33] #12726772 04/23/18 05:09 AM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: jbaker33
My second bonehead tackle rod finally bit the dust this weekend and broke. I went online to buy 2 more and I can not find them anywhere. Does anyone have any insight in to this or a recommendation to which rods are just as sensitive and nice as these were?

I dont do Facebook, but Bonehead does, as I understand it...also, there is a bait shop in Chandler that handles them. I recently purchased an 11foot rearseat G-rod from Todd at Thermocline....they seem like good rods, but I cant say a lot about them, as I have only caught a couple hundred fish with it, so far (which means I am still putting it through its paces...GRods will set you back a couple hundred...my current Boneheads all have well over 1,000 fish each behind them, except for the 2 little short red dock shooters, which I seldom have occasion to use. I still prefer the Black Boneheads, and consider them be best deal in a rod by far.
If you need to contact Josh for help, send me a PM, I believe I still have his phone number handy.

Proangler and basspro sell some decent 50 dollar rods...I have a couple of each...they both will work, for most crappie applications, except heavy brush and tangles. I favor the bass pro versions, due to better balance of the rod (accordingly I dont get wrist/elbow/shoulder fatigue as quickly with them).

As far as ACC, I have only fished with an 11 foot rear seat model. It was unimpressive to me and after fishing it regularity for a year, I went and bought a G-rod, then promptly gave the ACC away.

If you want only the best, money can buy, I suggest you look into a custom rod maker...and figure out the best blank for your primary fishing style, and have it built with the guides and in the colors you prefer, engraving...then go get a knockout kind of reel to put on it.

Hope my perspective helps...

Re: Best new rod help!! [Re: jbaker33] #12726777 04/23/18 05:48 AM
TurboDan Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Pro Angler. Have six 8' rods and one 10' rod. I keep a spare tip for each as well. Need one more 10'.

- dan "formally known as gazn357"

[Linked Image]
"Life is what you make it. Always has been. Always will be." - Grandma Moses
Re: Best new rod help!! [Re: jbaker33] #12726865 04/23/18 12:06 PM
J
jbaker33 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
Thanks for the insight will look into some of these choices. If I could I'd like to get some more bonehead rods, just didn't see any available on their website. More or less was looking for a comparison through experience of what is most similar to them.

Re: Best new rod help!! [Re: jbaker33] #12726924 04/23/18 12:46 PM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Thanks for the insight will look into some of these choices. If I could I'd like to get some more bonehead rods, just didn't see any available on their website. More or less was looking for a comparison through experience of what is most similar to them.

G-Rod is the closest you are going to get, the tip is not as fast but the backbone and overall fishability are very similar. I did use a shorter Salmon/steelhead version G-Rod, that was highly similar to the Bonehead, but it will set you back around $300...about the price of a really good custom rod.

Someone told me Loomis makes one very similar, but no one has shown me a Loomis that even comes close.

The Bass Pro brand and the Pro angler arent gonna touch it, in my extensive experience with all three...but at half the cost they shouldnt, either.

That bait store in Chandler has some of the red/ green versions on the shelf...I like the black versions, myself...if I am ever unable to get anymore of the black versions, I will go to G-rods, or find a comparable blank and have someone make me some...but I still have 8 Boneheads, so hopefully I am good for a while...

Re: Best new rod help!! [Re: jbaker33] #12727077 04/23/18 02:30 PM
J
jbaker33 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
Want to get rid of 1 or 2 of those 8.... I cant find the blacks anywhere

Re: Best new rod help!! [Re: jbaker33] #12727091 04/23/18 02:39 PM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Want to get rid of 1 or 2 of those 8.... I cant find the blacks anywhere

AHEM....NO...and that is as POLITE, as I can put it.... roflmao

Sometimes you can find some available on the trading post section...or from some of the guys that dont know what they got...

Re: Best new rod help!! [Re: jbaker33] #12727186 04/23/18 03:36 PM
U
UJC Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
U
Without considering $ to burn, I think rods are over thought. Just get a rod you're comfortable with. Rods have been around a long time and anglers caught fish no matter what stick was in their hands. Electronics and TM improvements have made the largest impact on crappie IMO. I fully understand some anglers have a particular fondness for a rod and have one for just about any condition nature can throw at us, but really any rod would do, even a cane pole. And for locally, then add the crappie knowledge/techniques shared by Paty, O'Bier, Sims, Skinner, Hancock, Belcher, Carter, Reeve, Gaby, Rains, Schwieterman, and more recently Palmer, Ezell, Standridge, Box and too many others to list who have made multiple contributions to Crappie Anglers of Texas' members over the years. The knowledge and techniques all contributors have made to CAT will have put more crappie in the boat than a rod, including some TFF contributors who openly share information on this forum.

I ain't worried about a rod, I'll take what I've learned and apply it. Heck, I even know what a parabolic rod is now thanks to a CAT seminar.

I probably will get slammed for the above. 'I apply the how many more to my purchases'. As in, how many more crappie I'm going to catch if I have rod x vs. rod y or rod z... In other words, you're not going to get my $300 or $100 for a crappie rod.

Re: Best new rod help!! [Re: UJC] #12727309 04/23/18 05:04 PM
F
Finaddict Offline
Angler
Angler
F
Originally Posted By: UJC
Without considering $ to burn, I think rods are over thought. Just get a rod you're comfortable with. Rods have been around a long time and anglers caught fish no matter what stick was in their hands. Electronics and TM improvements have made the largest impact on crappie IMO. I fully understand some anglers have a particular fondness for a rod and have one for just about any condition nature can throw at us, but really any rod would do, even a cane pole. And for locally, then add the crappie knowledge/techniques shared by Paty, O'Bier, Sims, Skinner, Hancock, Belcher, Carter, Reeve, Gaby, Rains, Schwieterman, and more recently Palmer, Ezell, Standridge, Box and too many others to list who have made multiple contributions to Crappie Anglers of Texas' members over the years. The knowledge and techniques all contributors have made to CAT will have put more crappie in the boat than a rod, including some TFF contributors who openly share information on this forum.

I ain't worried about a rod, I'll take what I've learned and apply it. Heck, I even know what a parabolic rod is now thanks to a CAT seminar.

I probably will get slammed for the above. 'I apply the how many more to my purchases'. As in, how many more crappie I'm going to catch if I have rod x vs. rod y or rod z... In other words, you're not going to get my $300 or $100 for a crappie rod.

I like many others am fortunate enough to be able put more emphasis on what I want and will enjoy using/owning more than the price.

Last edited by Finaddict; 04/23/18 05:06 PM.

You know you are a fishaholic if you have more rods than your wife has shoes!

www.g-rods.com/collections/crappie-spinning
www.sscrapiejigs.com
www.constantpursuitoutfitters.com
www.chriswebbsfishing.com
www.fishingftworth.com

Survived Vietnam TET offensive 1968, 100% disabled compliments of Agent Orange.
NO regrets.....
Re: Best new rod help!! [Re: jbaker33] #12727428 04/23/18 06:12 PM
Z
zig-zag Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Z
cowboywell, guess it doesnt matter what rod you fish with? Fishing is fishing? However how many times have i heard, how come so and so catches so many fish and i only well dont!!!! If you cant feel it you cant catch it!!!!! Gene L.Rods are cane pole both will work, but rather catch 100 than 6, if you know what i mean. Some rods are called the best for a reason. Just its not always about the money, if you dont have it save it tel you do, better to have one best thab 10 cane poles, just saying. fish

Re: Best new rod help!! [Re: jbaker33] #12727745 04/23/18 10:12 PM
U
UJC Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
U
Paul O'Bier and his partners over the years on the CAT trail have won 9 of the 10 years Angler of the Year using Pro Angler. Enough said. Like I said, it's your money to use as fit. To each his/her own. My preference is electronics and TM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide