Print Thread
Best Place to Attach an Anchor? #12724770 04/21/18 03:45 AM
J
Jaybonnett Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
Im going out Monday morning on a sandy bottom area if Belton Lake. I just got an anchor and this will be the first time I use it. I know some people dont think they are safe on a yak but I figure its a random Monday so it shouldnt be too busy. Im curious if the front or rear is the place to hook it or even the side. My thought is to attach it dependent on wind direction so that I can be facing the main lake to see any wakes coming my way. Im only fishing on a 10 1/2 SOT fishing yak. Any guidance would be nice.

Keep doin what youre doin, youll keep gettin what youre gettin.
Re: Best Place to Attach an Anchor? [Re: Jaybonnett] #12724814 04/21/18 05:40 AM
L
lconn4 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
L
I rarely use an anchor. Was advised by folks when I was starting out that they were trouble waiting to happen. They are. Especially until you have experienced what all can go wrong.

Best advice I could give if your using one is:

Learn to tie a slip knot (if tying anchor line to kayak itself) so that you can release yourself from your anchor if you get in trouble. Much faster than trying to grab your knife and cut. If there is slack in you anchor line/rope it will take both hands on one side of your kayak to cut it and in a real emergency you'll probably already have both hands on your paddle.

When you have a stuck anchor and you are trying to pull it up... don't pull your kayak over. thumb

Don't use heavy braid for anchor line unless you want to slice your hand off. thumb

Rig some kind of float system that you can ditch quick. The easiest and cheapest for those that don't have a trolly system installed yet is to wind paracord around a an empty one litre plastic water bottle. Drop anchor, let anchor line out and the put plastic bottle under your leg. I'd rather do this than have it tied to kayak with slip knot. In my kayak its simple because of the way my seat is. It could be different in yours. I can just lift my leg up and its out floating (keep cap on bottle) and I'm free of my problem. You can adjust the amount of air in bottle so that it sits flatter against your leg.

Getting a stuck anchor out in windy conditions will usually result in waves coming over the side if you aren't careful. Best to paddle past hung up anchor with bow into wind or current and try to pull it loose as you drift by. Repeat until you get it loose. If you have anchor rope attached through some attachment on bow... you are going to bury the nose if you pull too hard.

Once you are loose from your anchor rope you are going to have to retrieve it and wind it up (takes both hands) and usually your bow will not be in to wind so keep paddle handy and make correction strokes if you get turned sideways to waves.

Too many situations to describe which can get you in trouble fast without experiencing them.

Once had a big jack cravelle wrap around my anchor line while fishing the salt. Couldn't get fish unwrapped and realized that if a shark had been in the area watching it thrash around it could taken me over in a split second if it had decided to munch on fish.

Just be really aware of everything going on around you, sometimes you might find that your anchor line is on the opposite side of your kayak if wind changes or current changes directions. Just remember to always keep your paddle handy and don't scare yourself too badly. roflmao

Last edited by lconn4; 04/21/18 06:14 AM.

A good rule of angling philosophy is not to interfere with another fisherman's ways of being happy, unless you want to be hated.
Zane Grey, Tales of Fishes, 1919

https://vimeo.com/73372194
https://vimeo.com/72859045

Re: Best Place to Attach an Anchor? [Re: Jaybonnett] #12724870 04/21/18 12:30 PM
B
Brad R Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
To Iconn4's advice, as regards best position, I think the general consensus is most of us like it off the stern, the more centered the better. This way, your kayak will float down and away from the anchor with its bow pointed away. You won't be fishing over your anchor line this way.

Sometimes, though, you want or need to anchor off your bow and it is okay, too, as long as you stay aware of it. A large bass might get all wrapped up in it if you snag one and it runs left-right on you.

That bit about being precisely off the stern (or bow). If you aren't, your kayak will "[censored]" a bit as it swings on the anchor line. Not a big deal, but you will notice it more.

I and others are like Iconn4. Many of use rarely drop an anchor. I prefer my stake out pole for water < 7 or 8', even sometimes just dragging it works well; and, I also like to use a brush clip to anchor myself.

Finally, don't forget to just glide into thick vegetation as it arrests current and wind action. You can then fish the vegetation line down both sides from where you are "beached" in the green stuff.

Oh! and finally again, don't forget that your kayak will take you to sites where you can pop out, stand up and fish from an isolated bank, sand bar, etc. If you have waders on, that, too. It is a great way to really work an area while you stretch out.

Brad

Last edited by Brad R; 04/21/18 12:32 PM.
Re: Best Place to Attach an Anchor? [Re: Jaybonnett] #12724934 04/21/18 01:51 PM
T
Todd Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
T
Good advise above. For a simple answer you need to attach it to an anchor trolley. They are the safest way to anchor and you can adjust it where you want it. They make inexpensive kits that are better but you can tie the loop of rope trough your handles and tie it to a ring.

Re: Best Place to Attach an Anchor? [Re: Jaybonnett] #12725205 04/21/18 05:56 PM
J
Jaybonnett Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
I like the idea of a slip knot next to me so I can quickly let it loose. I also love that jug idea! Im going to do both but will also take the advice of Brad and bank it or wade when I get there. Yall have helped a lot and I appreciate it! I hope to post pics of a successful Monday morning. Either way, better to be on the water than somewhere else.

Re: Best Place to Attach an Anchor? [Re: Jaybonnett] #12725269 04/21/18 07:23 PM
C
Clay34 Offline
Angler
Angler
C
Anchoring is a passion of mine. Best place to anchor depends on the wind and which direction you want to fish. Best place to anchor is off of the bow or stern. Worst place and dangerous is off the middle of the boat.

I use a stake out pole often: DIY stake out pole

I use this system in moving water: Anchoring in moving water

I just purchased an Anchor Wizard compact and will use that in conjunction with my YakAttack HD Anchor Trolley. anchor trolley with Anchor Wizard

Have fun deciding which anchor system works best for you, or invest in them all like I did.

Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not the fish that they are after. Henry David Thoreau
Re: Best Place to Attach an Anchor? [Re: Jaybonnett] #12725366 04/21/18 09:15 PM
J
Jaybonnett Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
I love the stakeout pole and will make one tomorrow. I also like that Yakattack trolley but will save that for the next time. Thanks for the help!

Re: Best Place to Attach an Anchor? [Re: Jaybonnett] #12725572 04/22/18 12:40 AM
B
Brad R Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
I just slayed them today. 1 big bluegill and a dozen bass, two of them 5 +/- pounds. And, I had the same luck yesterday afternoon. Lake Athens has been hot for me.

If you will look at one of the photos of the bluegill, you will see my stake-out pole. Angler's Pro Tackle made it for me several years ago and it has pieces that can be added for additional length.

When I pull up on my locations, I have it lying in my canoe/kayak with its tip already through the Anchor Trolley ring, then simply tilt it up and shove it down in the mud. Then, I typically sort of move it back toward the stern end but this just to get it out of my casting path.

You can see it in the canoe in bluegill photo.

Brad

Re: Best Place to Attach an Anchor? [Re: Jaybonnett] #12725610 04/22/18 01:09 AM
L
lconn4 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
L
cheers

A good rule of angling philosophy is not to interfere with another fisherman's ways of being happy, unless you want to be hated.
Zane Grey, Tales of Fishes, 1919

https://vimeo.com/73372194
https://vimeo.com/72859045

Re: Best Place to Attach an Anchor? [Re: Jaybonnett] #12726040 04/22/18 03:28 PM
J
Jaybonnett Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
Nice fish! I think you just wanted to show us haha! Id love to fish the lilys but neither of our public lakes have them. We have a great tank here in town and its on the public golf course but they wont let anyone fish the good spots. It has several little coves covered in lily pads like the picture. Athens isnt to far from here though so maybe my boy and I will make a day trip this summer.

Re: Best Place to Attach an Anchor? [Re: Jaybonnett] #12726106 04/22/18 04:23 PM
M
Mudman63 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
I fish offshore structure and almost always anchor to maintain position. There are two anchor trolleys on my PA14, one on each side, and I use the side that will put me in the right location depending on the wind.

I use a collapsible anchor (the type found at academy) on a 125 length of 1/4 rope. The weight of the anchor depends on the wind velocity and bottom holding properties. Heavier anchor in wind and firmer bottom. I also use a 6 length of chain attached to the anchor.

When fishing grass, I remove the chain and tie directly to a mushroom anchor as it is easier to pull free from grass.

Be prepared to lose anchors, its a fact of life. Keep a sharp knife handy at all times in case you need to escape quickly or to cut it loose in the event it is stuck.

Ive never had an issue anchoring, even in 30+ mph winds. Experience using the anchor system builds confidence.

Re: Best Place to Attach an Anchor? [Re: Jaybonnett] #12726151 04/22/18 05:29 PM
J
Jaybonnett Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
Good advice! Speaking of having a sharp knife handy, do yall strap it to your leg? I have yet to capsize and would love to know what to expect before it actually happens. I feel the way I have most items on my boat right now, when I flip, they may be all goners.

Re: Best Place to Attach an Anchor? [Re: Jaybonnett] #12726228 04/22/18 06:55 PM
M
Mudman63 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Originally Posted By: Jaybonnett
Good advice! Speaking of having a sharp knife handy, do yall strap it to your leg? I have yet to capsize and would love to know what to expect before it actually happens. I feel the way I have most items on my boat right now, when I flip, they may be all goners.

I have 2 or 3 knives onboard. One is clipped to my pants pocket. One has a float attached.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide