Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Barometric Pressure limitations [Re: gborg] #12718815 04/16/18 06:51 PM
gborg Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
Boyles Law and Charles Law are for real. If The BP doesn't affect the fishes swim bladder,changing their behavior from active biting fish to non biting fish. As the BP falls, where do they go ??

Re: Barometric Pressure limitations [Re: gborg] #12718881 04/16/18 07:39 PM
B
Brad R Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted By: gborg
Boyles Law and Charles Law are for real. If The BP doesn't affect the fishes swim bladder,changing their behavior from active biting fish to non biting fish. As the BP falls, where do they go ??

Two questions for you that answering might inform your own thoughts on BP:

1) How much depth variation do you think a bass might experience over the course of a normal day? That is, do you think it might range from, say, being 4 feet deep at times . . . to 12 feet deep? So, do most bass float and swim around at depths that vary 6, 8 or 10 feet, maybe more?

2) Do you think that a bass that occupies different levels of depths over a day, do you think it can discern the differences in pressure it feels from the depth it occupies (more pressure when deeper) differently than the pressure it feels from the air column pushing down on top of the water?

No, not trick questions. Curious as I think this solves it, makes anglers' minds up about the topic, how they answer.

Brad

Last edited by Brad R; 04/16/18 07:40 PM.
Re: Barometric Pressure limitations [Re: Ken Gaby] #12718903 04/16/18 07:56 PM
B
Brad R Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted By: Ken Gaby
There was another thread a while back on this topic. Same type discussion. Someone gave calculations on water pressure indicating that a fish only had to move up or down in the water column 2-3 feet to compensate for the BP change.
Someone else posted a study done on RF tagged crappie. As I recall, the results of the study indicated the crappie forgot their calculator, or at least how to use it. When the pressure changed up or down quickly per hour, the crappie in shallow water, left the shallow water and moved out to water 20-25 ft deep. The crappie might have settled at 12-15 ft deep but were no where near the shallow water they were in 2 hours earlier.
I won't argue with the math on BP or water pressure, but the fish didn't get the memo stating they just had to move a couple feet to feel good.
This may not apply to whites/hybrids, but my guess is they move also.

Ken, that was me. Sorry, I didn't see page 1 here before I posted a minute ago with a few questions.

No, not 2 or 3 feet. A BIG swing in Barometric pressure ranges, say a full point, would only require a fish to move up or down in the water column by an inch or so. I'd need to go back and check my math again.

And, my point, then and now, is that fish move up and down in the water column all day long, every day, experience different pressures just like we do as we move up and down, say, after diving into the water. Everyone knows the ears begin to hurt at 10 feet or more.

The pressure is real. The WATER pressure is real. So, fish experience different water pressures, for certain, it's just that the air pressure variable is such a very, very tiny addition up or down.

So, a fish is supposed to be able to discern these minor fluctuations in pressure from air pushing down on water from the pressure of it moving up or down "routinely" in the water column all day long? How? Why?

No, the BP, to the extent it works, is just strongly associated with certain weather events. We do know that fish are affected by wind vs. dead water, clear skies vs. clouds, those sorts of things. It's these sorts of weather events that change fish behavior, not some particular very minor source of pressure on them. They live in pressure variances much more extreme than ours.

The one notation about fish cutting on and off from what, 29.85 to 29.87 . . . like two-hundredths of a point? C'mon! That is so far beyond silly, I wouldn't even know how to respond.

Brad

Last edited by Brad R; 04/16/18 07:59 PM.
Re: Barometric Pressure limitations [Re: gborg] #12719675 04/17/18 12:28 PM
B
Brad R Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Barometric Pressures and equivalent related water depths in "feet of water":

29.50 = 33.422'
29.92 = 33.898' (one atmosphere)
30.00 = 33.989'
30.50 = 34.555'

Brad

Re: Barometric Pressure limitations [Re: gborg] #12719734 04/17/18 01:09 PM
gborg Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
Stripers, Sandies and Hybrids are the fish I am referring to. As they swim all day long and evidently have a much larger swim bladder than non-pelagic species of fish! Someone with biological expertise will probably confirm or knock out this assumption .

Re: Barometric Pressure limitations [Re: gborg] #12719894 04/17/18 02:51 PM
B
Brad R Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted By: gborg
Stripers, Sandies and Hybrids are the fish I am referring to. As they swim all day long and evidently have a much larger swim bladder than non-pelagic species of fish! Someone with biological expertise will probably confirm or knock out this assumption .

Good point, gborg. Different fish species have different needs as regards swim bladder size to live their "lifestyles."

My little chart just shows how little a fish need move up or down in the water column to offset the changes in atmospheric pressure even in big swings taking hours or even days to complete. My thoughts have always been "big deal," as the distance is so very minor compared to the depth range they move in . . . all day long without effects. That, and how in the world could a bass discern the difference between the pressure it'd feel from swimming around and that minor amount caused by air pushing down on water.

Now, barometric pressure and weather effects, we've got something!

Hope the chart helps.

Brad

Re: Barometric Pressure limitations [Re: KidKrappie] #12724617 04/21/18 12:45 AM
T
TarponFly Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: fishin'aholic2
roflmao
T-fly just uses those numbers as excuses when he can't catch them. When the pressure rises .2 all the fish has to do is swim up or down in the water column to adjust the pressure back. With the pressure swings around here, the fish would never eat according to his calculations. For example, pressure was rapidly rising last spring after a major cold front and I was pulling in Hybrids and sandies left and right and they all told me when I caught them that they forgot to check the air pressure LOL.

You are the biggest Tool on the planet. It’s confirmed by Hubble.

[Linked Image]

https://CowboyNavy.org ( please sign up if you have a boat )

Contact Number 469-528-0210

Facebook- Carey Thorn Foshing Guide
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide