Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thinking Minn Kota Terrova - opinions? #12718339 04/16/18 12:30 PM
reeltexan Online Happy OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Online Happy
TFF Celebrity

The Spot Lock feature has hooked me.
Thoughts and opinions from owners would be appreciated.

Thanks

"..The pleasantist angling is to see the fish
Cut with her golden oars the silver stream,
And greedily devour the treacherous bait.
Bill Shakespeare

[Linked Image]
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Thinking Minn Kota Terrova - opinions? [Re: reeltexan] #12718360 04/16/18 12:51 PM
T
Taylored Offline
Angler
Angler
T
I have one. It's the first generation. They are nice but the spot lock is not even close to an ultrex. I would save my money and buy the ultrex if I had it to do again.

Re: Thinking Minn Kota Terrova - opinions? [Re: reeltexan] #12718372 04/16/18 12:59 PM
harvey walker Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I brought mine this past Sept. and I love it.

Re: Thinking Minn Kota Terrova - opinions? [Re: reeltexan] #12718374 04/16/18 01:00 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Unless you need the stow/deploy feature you're better off with the Ultrex. I have the Ultrex and the spot lock is a game changer bang. If you're like me and fish alone quite a bit the spot lock is invaluable and from what I read on here about the Terrova the spot lock is not as accurate. Don't like the small base either. If you already a MinnKota the Ultrex in most cases uses the same holes.

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Re: Thinking Minn Kota Terrova - opinions? [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES] #12718437 04/16/18 01:53 PM
S
sprigsss Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES
Unless you need the stow/deploy feature you're better off with the Ultrex. I have the Ultrex and the spot lock is a game changer bang. If you're like me and fish alone quite a bit the spot lock is invaluable and from what I read on here about the Terrova the spot lock is not as accurate. Don't like the small base either. If you already a MinnKota the Ultrex in most cases uses the same holes.

The Terrova doesn't have Auto Stow/Deploy, that is the Ulterra.

Depends on what options are more important to you.

Terrova - Spot-lock, can be linked to Humminbirds

Ulterra - Similar to Terrova with Auto-Deploy

Ultrex - Spot-lock function, electronic steering with response of cable steer

Prices vary, but typically the Terrova is < $1500, Ulterra and Ultrex are > $2000.

What options are most important to you?

I have the Terrova and wouldn't spend money upgrading. I don't mind pulling it out of the water myself, the spot-lock is great, and response is plenty good enough for what I do. Had no problems navigating through the tree tops at Fork.

Re: Thinking Minn Kota Terrova - opinions? [Re: reeltexan] #12718470 04/16/18 02:16 PM
C
Cheesehead Wes Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
Mine is slow. The remote is nowhere as good as my power drive that i had before. I have to point the remote directly at the unit within 3-4 to get it to work. I have sent it in and replaced the remote with no success. Save for the new ultrex!

Re: Thinking Minn Kota Terrova - opinions? [Re: reeltexan] #12718479 04/16/18 02:28 PM
Wishunter09 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I had one on my last boat, now have Ultrex in the new one. Just my thoughts having run both it depends what type of fishing you do most. If you fish docks/brush, the Terrova can be frustrating because the electric steering is slow and laggy compared to the cable steer units or the Ultrex. Spotlock is definitely a handy feature, again the Ultrex is hands down better, itll actually hold you right on a spot, the Terrova will let you drift a few feet then pull you back. Again Id say just depends what your type of fishing is, if youre primarily fishing deeper water the Terrova would be just fine and is a good unit and saves you a few bucks, I didnt have any issues with remote or otherwise with mine. If you fish shallow and close to structure or docks, my two cents I would save for Ultrex if you want spotlock or stick with a standard cable steer.

Last edited by Wishunter09; 04/16/18 02:32 PM.
Re: Thinking Minn Kota Terrova - opinions? [Re: sprigsss] #12718504 04/16/18 02:50 PM
reeltexan Online Happy OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Online Happy
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: sprigsss

I don't need stow/ deploy, I'm interested in Spot Lock, but I would want that feature to be accurate on the Lock.
I run Humminbirds.

"..The pleasantist angling is to see the fish
Cut with her golden oars the silver stream,
And greedily devour the treacherous bait.
Bill Shakespeare

[Linked Image]
Re: Thinking Minn Kota Terrova - opinions? [Re: reeltexan] #12718510 04/16/18 02:57 PM
9094 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Get the Ulterra. You will thank me later.

Re: Thinking Minn Kota Terrova - opinions? [Re: reeltexan] #12718520 04/16/18 03:08 PM
J
Jpurdue Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
J
I hate the all electric steer. I feel like I'm constantly chasing it. I'm sure you eventually get used to it. I'm not not sure why anyone would pick that over the Ultrex. I can't think of any scenario where it would be a better choice unless you just couldn't afford it.

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: Thinking Minn Kota Terrova - opinions? [Re: reeltexan] #12718522 04/16/18 03:09 PM
6BOOMER Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
I purchased a Terrova two months ago coming from a Maxumm Pro. Much better, I do like the electric steering. Spot lock and I-plot is outstanding. Terrova like mentioned does drift a little but will come back. Primarily deep water fishing but will go shallow also. Only thing I don't care for it sticks out quit a bit. I do have a slide plate (mka-51)for stowing but it's a PITA.

Re: Thinking Minn Kota Terrova - opinions? [Re: reeltexan] #12718563 04/16/18 03:57 PM
S
sprigsss Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Originally Posted By: reeltexan
Originally Posted By: sprigsss

I don't need stow/ deploy, I'm interested in Spot Lock, but I would want that feature to be accurate on the Lock.
I run Humminbirds.

So sounds like you could use either the Terrova or the Ultrex.

Like others have mentioned with Ultrex you have quicker response time.

I have no issues with my terrova. I fish without my shoes on and feel the buttons with my toes. I pretty much only use the remote for spotlock.

As far as one being better than the other with spotlock, I honestly.cant say because I havent used the others. However, I thought all use the same GPS technology.

With no wind, mine will bounce around some as I will drift over spot and then it recorrects.

It seems to hold better with at least a little wind.

But spotlock on my terrova certainly beats fishing without it. I cant get used to my buddies cable steer now.

So really just depends on how important the quick response time is to you.

If my trolling motor went out today, Id probably get the Ultrex, but as long as it is working Im not going to upgrade.

Re: Thinking Minn Kota Terrova - opinions? [Re: reeltexan] #12718568 04/16/18 04:01 PM
1bassdaddy Offline
Angler
Angler
I currently run a Terrova and it has served me well. Having said that, I plan to put an Ulterra om my next boat. The spot lock on my current Terrova travels a bit but not enough to bother the type of fishing a do. I also don't use the peddle much as I have become fairly adept with the hand held remote and I prefer it. My choice to move up to the Ulterra is based on the auto deploy function. From reading countless responses I see that most folks value the responsiveness of the Ultrex foot peddle but it just isn't an issue for me.

Re: Thinking Minn Kota Terrova - opinions? [Re: reeltexan] #12719000 04/16/18 09:17 PM
B
Bobby Milam Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
The spot lock feature is the same whether it is a terrova, ulterra or ultrex. The new models all use the same and have the same accuracy. The original terrova has a spot lock that wasnt quite as accurate. If you want to hook it to your hb fishfinder then you need to buy the link version. It can be connected to one unit. If you have 2 or more fish finders, you will then need a 5 port hub. Without the hub only 2 devices would connect. The link adds some functionality to the tm but isnt required for the spot lock and other functions.

It wont be like a foot control if you are accustomed to that. It does take some getting used to but I have been using them for the last several years and wouldnt switch. I hate foot control and would never buy the ultracentrifuge myself. Prior to this year the motorguide xi5 was the more accurate unit. The new Bluetooth my units changed that. If you have questions feel free to contact me and Ill answer what I can.

Re: Thinking Minn Kota Terrova - opinions? [Re: reeltexan] #12719029 04/16/18 09:42 PM
D
DBFishing83 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
....I had the Terrova
went to the Ulterra for the self deploy and retrieve feature.
I LOVE IT .... plus at my age it keeps me safer,,,,,,not as app to fall off the boat when picking it up.
The Spot Lock is improved on the new models and it locks in extremely well.
the foot control is very easy to use.
the NOISE has never been an issue for me in catching fish.
GO FOR ONE or the others but just do it

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide