Extreme Angler
C
Originally Posted By: buda13
Originally Posted By: COWBOYSFAN008
Originally Posted By: DJB
Man up

Really?

Yes, really.

Since I started tournament fishing I cant think of a year the compares to the amount of bickering, crying, and threatening not to fish trails if they dont cancel or reschedule due to wind. If you cant drive a boat in big water then dont enter, no sense in the rest of the field that knows how to handle their equipment to be punished for the folks that cant. If trailering is allowed and a fella cant get to his water then you darn sure better have a plan B or locate something you can get to, not blow up the TD's phone and email about canceling. I can respect the tournament trails decision to cancel in the event their insurance wont cover them over a certain wind speed, some wont cover anything if there is a lake wind advisory issued.. I get that. I just dont get the anglers that call themselves tournament fishermen acting like tournament day and fun fishing day are the same thing. hammer

The last sentence is where I would disagree with you. Most tournament fishermen would fish rain, cold, and wind. Even ride out some bad thunderstorms, but sustained 25 to 30 (now) with gust in the 40s to 50s is where most anglers would stay home. If you have more anglers not show up vs show up, the club made a bad decision. I think most know tournament fishing isnt just fun fishing, but also know what is down right dangerous.

Last edited by cephusjoe; 04/12/18 06:28 PM.

Mcurtain county okie
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Wind mph and tournaments [Re: cephusjoe] #12713692 04/12/18 07:02 PM
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Groovy
Originally Posted By: cephusjoe
Originally Posted By: buda13
Originally Posted By: COWBOYSFAN008
Originally Posted By: DJB
Man up

Really?

Yes, really.

Since I started tournament fishing I cant think of a year the compares to the amount of bickering, crying, and threatening not to fish trails if they dont cancel or reschedule due to wind. If you cant drive a boat in big water then dont enter, no sense in the rest of the field that knows how to handle their equipment to be punished for the folks that cant. If trailering is allowed and a fella cant get to his water then you darn sure better have a plan B or locate something you can get to, not blow up the TD's phone and email about canceling. I can respect the tournament trails decision to cancel in the event their insurance wont cover them over a certain wind speed, some wont cover anything if there is a lake wind advisory issued.. I get that. I just dont get the anglers that call themselves tournament fishermen acting like tournament day and fun fishing day are the same thing. hammer

The last sentence is where I would disagree with you. Most tournament fishermen would fish rain, cold, and wind. Even ride out some bad thunderstorms, but sustained 25 to 30 (now) with gust in the 40s to 50s is where most anglers would stay home. If you have more anglers not show up vs show up, the club made a bad decision. I think most know tournament fishing isnt just fun fishing, but also know what is down right dangerous.

Both you guys have good points. Tournament fishing is an outdoor sport done in the elements. Today's equipment is so much better than what we had 30 years ago. Safer, faster, smoother, better. If some guy doesn't have the good sense to run his boat in big water & high wind then he needs to take up another sport. Sorry, I'm a little old fashioned that way.

I do agree that I would fish a tournament in much worse weather than I would go Fun-Fishing. I would not choose to fish on a day with 30-40 mph wind but if it is tournament day and that's what we are dealt, then we go.

Re: Wind mph and tournaments [Re: cephusjoe] #12713823 04/12/18 08:23 PM
John175☮ Offline
MACHO MAN
MACHO MAN
I would have been on Ray Roberts this weekend for the tournament if it had not been cancelled. I already made adjustments to where I would run and fish.

Next weekend may be just as bad with rain on top of it...this is Spring. Can't hide from it.

“Do not pray for easier lives. Pray to be stronger men.” -JFK
Re: Wind mph and tournaments [Re: Douglas J] #12713885 04/12/18 08:55 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Doug R.
Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES
Originally Posted By: Ken A.
Not saying it was "safe" but on April 10, 1988 me & my partner fished an event on Fork and the North Wind blew 35-40 ALL day with gusts recorded to 54 mph!! It gave us all we wanted in my 17' 10" Ranger. (that was a big boat in those days)

We didn't catch any monsters but my partner KCB did catch a 13.61# SAL that day!!

Just waiting patiently for Gig'em to come along and tell you you are lucky you didn't die...

Ken, you're lucky you didn't die. There you have it. thumb

It's official, you should have died

Stop putting words in my mouth Doug, I said lucky you didn't die. If you consider yourself a hero or one heluva man because you fished in 35-40 mph winds then you are fooling yourself. On three different occasions on two different lakes I fished where 4 people died due to inclement weather and it was a real eye opener for me. If it ain't fun then I ain't fishing and when people die fishing it stops being fun and I could care less what anyone on this forum thinks because I chose not to fish in freezing weather and high winds. If it makes you feel manly and tough to fish in the kind of weather we had last Saturday then by all means keep doing it. I ain't scared I just have better things to do and I won't apologize to anyone for it nor will I condemn those that will fish in that kind of weather. Do what you feel good about and I won't think less or more of you either way. If Ken will be honest and I know he will there was more than once when he wished he was on dry ground when those winds were gusting to 45.

Last edited by GIG'EM AGGIES; 04/12/18 08:56 PM.

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Re: Wind mph and tournaments [Re: cephusjoe] #12713904 04/12/18 09:09 PM
J
Jarrett Latta Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
Depends on available ramps in protected areas. If it's a club event it should be trailer anyway.

Re: Wind mph and tournaments [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES] #12713967 04/12/18 09:48 PM
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Groovy
If Ken will be honest and I know he will there was more than once when he wished he was on dry ground when those winds were gusting to 45.

Ken wasn't real smart 30 years ago. He is a lot smarter now and not nearly as tough as he used to be. wink

Re: Wind mph and tournaments [Re: Ken A.] #12713981 04/12/18 09:57 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Ken A.
If Ken will be honest and I know he will there was more than once when he wished he was on dry ground when those winds were gusting to 45.

Ken wasn't real smart 30 years ago. He is a lot smarter now and not nearly as tough as he used to be. wink

I can vouch for a lot smarter now but I don't think you have to be tough to fish in 40 mph winds but you do need a real good reason. Apparently a tournament is a good enough reason. Certainly was memorable huh.

Last edited by GIG'EM AGGIES; 04/12/18 09:58 PM.

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Re: Wind mph and tournaments [Re: cephusjoe] #12713991 04/12/18 10:02 PM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
Depends on lake and direction on that lake

Re: Wind mph and tournaments [Re: WAWI] #12713995 04/12/18 10:08 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: WAWI
Depends on lake and direction on that lake

It was Lake Fork and the wind was 35-40 all day out of the north. Lake basically runs south to north.

Re: Wind mph and tournaments [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES] #12714051 04/12/18 10:38 PM
J
junk baits Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
J
My partner and i fished TTT on richland chambers couple years ago with winds gust at 50mph. Fishing was hard and areas to fish limited. But went on our own judgement. Main thing is our choice and did not go on a public forum to bitch. Wow

GO FISH!
Re: Wind mph and tournaments [Re: cephusjoe] #12714065 04/12/18 10:45 PM
C
ChuChu1 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
Gale force wind is 39 to 46 mph. Only a fool will venture out in a gale force wind. Some people on here have some wild imaginations or just plain liars.

50 mph is a severe gale force wind.

Snowflakes and entitled brats will be the doom of America!

Re: Wind mph and tournaments [Re: junk baits] #12714066 04/12/18 10:45 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: junk baits
My partner and i fished TTT on richland chambers couple years ago with winds gust at 50mph. Fishing was hard and areas to fish limited. But went on our own judgement. Main thing is our choice and did not go on a public forum to bitch. Wow

Hooray for you, want a prize ?

Re: Wind mph and tournaments [Re: cephusjoe] #12714920 04/13/18 03:07 PM
D
Douglas J Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
D
[quote=Doug R.][quote=Ken A.]Not saying it was "safe" but on April 10, 1988 me & my partner fished an event on Fork and the North Wind blew 35-40 ALL day with gusts recorded to 54 mph!! It gave us all we wanted in my 17' 10" Ranger. (that was a big boat in those days)

We didn't catch any monsters but my partner KCB did catch a 13.61# SAL that day!!

Stop putting words in my mouth Doug, I said lucky you didn't die. If you consider yourself a hero or one heluva man because you fished in 35-40 mph winds then you are fooling yourself. On three different occasions on two different lakes I fished where 4 people died due to inclement weather and it was a real eye opener for me. If it ain't fun then I ain't fishing and when people die fishing it stops being fun and I could care less what anyone on this forum thinks because I chose not to fish in freezing weather and high winds. If it makes you feel manly and tough to fish in the kind of weather we had last Saturday then by all means keep doing it. I ain't scared I just have better things to do and I won't apologize to anyone for it nor will I condemn those that will fish in that kind of weather. Do what you feel good about and I won't think less or more of you either way. If Ken will be honest and I know he will there was more than once when he wished he was on dry ground when those winds were gusting to 45.

I have fished in that kind of wind on occasion, though not for fun and I have operated a rescue boat in much higher winds. I actually have some expertise in operating boats in very dangerous situations. It's a big part of my job.So I am not posting from feelings or internet research, it's from actual real world experience. Not just from talking about "back in the day" and typing on the TFF like yourself.

You constantly come on here and matter fact post that someone will tear up this or that or get injured or killed if they do not do as you say or do. Dude you are not everyone's keeper or grandfather. If you do not have the stones or want to anymore than put on your snuggie and watch some TV.

There ya go, no beating around the bush

Re: Wind mph and tournaments [Re: cephusjoe] #12714943 04/13/18 03:21 PM
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Groovy
You guys play nice

Re: Wind mph and tournaments [Re: Douglas J] #12715237 04/13/18 05:56 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
[quote=Doug R.][quote=Ken A.]Not saying it was "safe" but on April 10, 1988 me & my partner fished an event on Fork and the North Wind blew 35-40 ALL day with gusts recorded to 54 mph!! It gave us all we wanted in my 17' 10" Ranger. (that was a big boat in those days)

I have fished in that kind of wind on occasion, though not for fun and I have operated a rescue boat in much higher winds. I actually have some expertise in operating boats in very dangerous situations. It's a big part of my job.So I am not posting from feelings or internet research, it's from actual real world experience. Not just from talking about "back in the day" and typing on the TFF like yourself.

You constantly come on here and matter fact post that someone will tear up this or that or get injured or killed if they do not do as you say or do. Dude you are not everyone's keeper or grandfather. If you do not have the stones or want to anymore than put on your snuggie and watch some TV.

There ya go, no beating around the bush

Last edited by GIG'EM AGGIES; 04/13/18 06:29 PM.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide