Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Moon Myths [Re: Jpurdue] #12709830 04/09/18 10:28 PM
G
grout-scout Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G
I thought John Hopes book said that the big fish came shallow at night and laid eggs on full moon nights, then retreated back in the morning to their home. I’ll try to remember to look later.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Moon Myths [Re: Jpurdue] #12709844 04/09/18 10:35 PM
slim 285 Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
If you go back and look at all the 13lb sharelunkers recoreded there is no better moon phase. There is almost equal fish caught all across the different moon phases.

Re: Moon Myths [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES] #12710077 04/10/18 01:08 AM
B
basscaster46 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES
Yeah that moon deal is a joke but when you see cows laying you might as well stay home cause the fish ain't biting when the cows are laying. It's called animal spirits. clap

+1

I got all day I’m retired
Re: Moon Myths [Re: Jpurdue] #12710213 04/10/18 02:31 AM
C
coachallentca Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: Jpurdue
Originally Posted By: coachallentca
I don't know if it affects but sure does affect the crazies. My wife is a nurse and every nurse she knows hates the full moon. To many crazies out.

It is absolutely true that large numbers of doctors and nurses believe this. It is also true they are all wrong about it. Great example of confirmation bias.

http://www.healthcarebusinesstech.com/full-moon-hospital/

anyone can write an article but it does not make fact

Last edited by coachallentca; 04/10/18 02:33 AM.
Re: Moon Myths [Re: Jpurdue] #12710231 04/10/18 02:42 AM
kevine80 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
i like a bright full moon --it helps me hook my boat up in the dark !

if i lived on the lake and had nothing but spare time to fish when i wanted i might pay attention to this kinda stuff ----buuuuuuuuuuuuuuut life is always in the way

i fish whenever i can !

Re: Moon Myths [Re: Jpurdue] #12710393 04/10/18 11:32 AM
Ken A. Online Content
Groovy
Online Content
Groovy
I know the statistics do not confirm that a bass' spawning activity changes during a full moon phase but I will have to agree to disagree. Over a four year period I kept logs of all my fishing trips. I recorded wind speed/direction, water temp, lures, water depth, etc.

In a little over 900 days of fishing from 1988 thru 1991 I saw a direct correlation to my catch rates of larger fish (5# plus) during a full moon phase.

Re: Moon Myths [Re: coachallentca] #12710406 04/10/18 11:49 AM
J
Jpurdue Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
J
I don't know if it affects but sure does affect the crazies. My wife is a nurse and every nurse she knows hates the full moon. To many crazies out.

It is absolutely true that large numbers of doctors and nurses believe this. It is also true they are all wrong about it. Great example of confirmation bias.

http://www.healthcarebusinesstech.com/full-moon-hospital/

anyone can write an article but it does not make fact

Anyone can think a thing, but that does not make it a fact. There I fixed it for you. Did you peak at the article? The sources were reputable, and the findings resulted from multiple years of study. This myth is actually pretty easy to bust. You simple look at hospital admittance records over a long period of time and compare it to moon phases. Sources were: American Journal of Emergency Medicine, Nursing Research journal, and The Wall Street Journal. All that from just one article. There are many dozens more of research papers out there with similar findings.

Last edited by Jpurdue; 04/10/18 11:57 AM.

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: Moon Myths [Re: Jpurdue] #12710410 04/10/18 11:52 AM
Mark Perry Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
The article that tries to say the full moon has no effect on people/patients is a load of [censored] too. Done this job for 20yrs and it most definitely has an effect. Seen it firsthand too many times and I trust my own eyes over an article in a business journal.

Re: Moon Myths [Re: Ken A.] #12710412 04/10/18 11:53 AM
J
Jpurdue Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted By: Ken A.
I know the statistics do not confirm that a bass' spawning activity changes during a full moon phase but I will have to agree to disagree. Over a four year period I kept logs of all my fishing trips. I recorded wind speed/direction, water temp, lures, water depth, etc.

In a little over 900 days of fishing from 1988 thru 1991 I saw a direct correlation to my catch rates of larger fish (5# plus) during a full moon phase.

Ken that was so long ago those bass could have been a different species for all we know. Did you have to use a scroll and charcoal to write those logs? POW!

I know I won't convince everyone, maybe not anyone, that's okay... More fish for me when I'm out on the water a few days before everyone else out when these moon phases hit. Good discussion all around gents.

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: Moon Myths [Re: Mark Perry] #12710415 04/10/18 11:56 AM
J
Jpurdue Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted By: Mark Perry
The article that tries to say the full moon has no effect on people/patients is a load of [censored] too. Done this job for 20yrs and it most definitely has an effect. Seen it firsthand too many times and I trust my own eyes over an article in a business journal.

Again, it was a business journal reporting on several research papers written by highly respected medical journals. Which source would you respect? This one has been so thoroughly debunked if you give me a name I can probably find a paper they've written on it! You guys could be case studies for illusory correlation and confirmation bias.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: Moon Myths [Re: Jpurdue] #12710417 04/10/18 11:58 AM
Txmedic033 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
If I schedule a fishing trip in advance it will be on a full moon. Hopefully nobody else believes in lunar cycles affecting the fishing and they schedule a different time.

Re: Moon Myths [Re: Jpurdue] #12710429 04/10/18 12:11 PM
C
Chato Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
So was out with Mark Pack fishing in Dale Creek in the afternoon late in Fall a few years ago..the fishing was a bit slow by his standards but he told me when the Moon dropped off the horizon the fish would start bite..guess what as soon as it set the Loons and Shad showed up and it was game on..the Moon always has a effect

Re: Moon Myths [Re: Chato] #12710440 04/10/18 12:23 PM
J
Jpurdue Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted By: Chato
So was out with Mark Pack fishing in Dale Creek in the afternoon late in Fall a few years ago..the fishing was a bit slow by his standards but he told me when the Moon dropped off the horizon the fish would start bite..guess what as soon as it set the Loons and Shad showed up and it was game on..the Moon always has a effect

That's powerful evidence there. I kid.

Full and new moons rise and set with the sun. Which of course coincides with low light levels which is generally the most active fishing period of any day.

Have you ever been out on the water when the moon set and you didn't catch fish? Can you tell us about that?

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: Moon Myths [Re: Jpurdue] #12710454 04/10/18 12:32 PM
west tex angler Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Well, this theory has been beat to death.
I believe in the moon cycles and fish and hunt by them as much as I can.
The moon reflects light(energy) from the sun. The reason farmers and ranchers plant by the dark of the moon is so the seed gets full effect of the sun's radiation. The seeds get a quick start. The same with plankton in the water. It blooms better, and little fish that feed on it get eaten by bigger fish etc etc.
Big bass are lethargic enough, but are more active during these periods.
National Weather Service will tell you that moon phases also have an effect on weather.
As for me, I want to fish when the big fish are eating the smaller fish. Its that simple.
Someone said that there is no tide in a lake, only in the ocean. Every body of water has a tidal pressure, even if its slight.
If I can't fish on a full moon, at least I want to fish on a waxing or rising moon. Just to increase my odds.
If you want a good read, try John Knight's Moon UP, Moon Down. It's probably 75 years old.
Any animal or fish that is fed artificially, is probably not concerned as much by weather or moon phase, but fish that rely totally on what their "food chain" gives them to work with, are the ones I fish for.
Anyway, good luck

PB 9lbs 13oz
Re: Moon Myths [Re: Jpurdue] #12710561 04/10/18 01:27 PM
Mark Perry Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
Originally Posted By: Mark Perry

Again, it was a business journal reporting on several research papers written by highly respected medical journals. Which source would you respect? This one has been so thoroughly debunked if you give me a name I can probably find a paper they've written on it! You guys could be case studies for illusory correlation and confirmation bias.

I ain't telling you what to believe. I am saying personally I trust what I have seen during my career far more than you and your research papers.
Same with the moon phase subject.

Don't take it personally I will defer to KVD, Mark Pack and others that do it for a living more than your studies or your book. Not trying to take a shot at you or argue. Just my own opinion and I'm sure everyone sees things differently. Interesting subject and post. Enjoying the replies and information.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide