Print Thread
This episode of this old boat... #12699636 04/02/18 05:17 PM
F
fwbassman Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
F
So as most of you know I have an old 89 Ranger with a Johnson 150 with all original parts date stamped 87-89. Had issues last year. Got them fixed and now we are to the next set of dated parts...

So the first few outings this year were great. Fire right up no popping, coughing or back talking. First try every time. Couldn't do any WOT runs cause dad doesn't like to go that fast. Two outings back dad didn't back the trailer in deep enough so as I go to give it some throttle to get up on the trailer the motor falls flat on it's face and dies. Fired right back up with no issues. Just didn't have any power. Get home and see that the timing cam is sitting a good 1/4" off the roller. Thought that was odd since I did the link and sync last year and snugged down that timing nut, but it is loose now. Also the throttle adjustment backed out to the point the timing base would get a half inch short of full advance at WOT. Guess they vibrated loose. Checked timing and it was at 2 degrees at idle. Figured that and the throttle screw was causing all my woes. So I resynced and set the timing to 7 degrees. Checked to make sure everything was tight and everything had good clearance. Everything good to go on the muffs. Head to the lake with dad again. This time it's fighting me popping and sneezing at startup. Finally get it running and it does ok. We weren't going far so just idled to where we needed and TM'd most the day. Coming back to the ramp it wouldn't stay at idle. Little above idle and it would run fine. Still no power loading.

I figure maybe the recirc valves are clogged. Checked all 6 and they are good. I had bought some carbon fiber reed valves last year and figured if I'm this far in I'll go ahead and install them. Started it up without the air silencer on and the bottom carb is just spewing gas. So I guess I have some trash in the carbs. Filter looks clean though. But all the lines are vintage original. I am ordering all new fuel lines now.

Does that, in y'alls expert opinion seem like the culprit? Bottom carb flooding the bottom 2 cylinders at startup? It will fire and rev then pop and die. I've ohmed out the electronics on the motor and replaced what was obviously bad, but the stator and trigger base will be in spec today and barely out of spec tomorrow. They will eventually get replaced along with the original power packs. I just don't have a DVA to properly test those.

Re: This episode of this old boat... [Re: fwbassman] #12706950 04/07/18 03:54 PM
S
sbump26 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
I have a 97 90hp Evinrude and had weird starting and running issues off an on. Finally gave up and had an experienced mechanic check it out (sounds like you have a good handle on motors!). He said power pack was erratic; changed it and so far so good.

Put the plug in.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide