Forums59
Topics1,037,798
Posts13,934,678
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
What is meant by the "back of a creek" and when do you fish those? #12701621 04/03/18 08:41 PM
H
Heron Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
H
I'm curious what this term means. Is it a given depth or is it simply as far back as you can take your boat before you get stuck? Or something else? Also, when do you fish visible creek channels (i.e. not the submerged channels that are in the coves and main lakes)and what water depths are you looking for?

Thanks!

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: What is meant by the "back of a creek" and when do you fish those? [Re: Heron] #12701628 04/03/18 08:45 PM
T
Toad Jerker Offline
Angler
Angler
T
I have always referred to the back of the creeks as the spot where the creek enters into the main lake in the back of the cove.

www.outdoorsmandiret.com
www.basspookee.net
Large mouth: 11.10lbs
Flat head: 51.2lbs
blue cat: 35lbs
Re: What is meant by the "back of a creek" and when do you fish those? [Re: Heron] #12701698 04/03/18 09:14 PM
Ken A. Online Content
Groovy
Online Content
Groovy
I would agree somewhat to this description. A lot of folks have been to Birch Creek at Fork and gone to the second set of powerlines. They thought that was the back of the creek and even I have referred to that area as the "back of Birch" in conversation. In reality Birch goes another mile further back.

Re: What is meant by the "back of a creek" and when do you fish those? [Re: Heron] #12701728 04/03/18 09:29 PM
Ken A. Online Content
Groovy
Online Content
Groovy
So check out this picture of Birch Creek at fork. I have always divided a creek in thirds. So when I am talking about the back of a creek I am always referring to the back 1/3. Typically early in the spring this is the first place the fish will start making their beds. In the back 1/3 of the creek. This is the first part of the lake that warms due to the shallow water and protection from the North wind. Does that make sense?

Re: What is meant by the "back of a creek" and when do you fish those? [Re: Heron] #12701743 04/03/18 09:37 PM
T
the skipper Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
I always considered the backs as where it usually flattens out into spawning flats with just the channel going thru. Basically the same as Ken

Re: What is meant by the "back of a creek" and when do you fish those? [Re: Heron] #12701751 04/03/18 09:42 PM
F
Flooringit Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Is birch where the last bouy is at the power line? I have went back and some past but it seems to go way back and nothing but trees. I thought maybe there were Lillys way back there but I didnt try cause its like trying to got through a rugged obstacle course

2013 Phoenix 920xp
Re: What is meant by the "back of a creek" and when do you fish those? [Re: Heron] #12701819 04/03/18 10:28 PM
shotgunwilly Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
The back of the creek to me is the farthest point you can get your boat to.

Re: What is meant by the "back of a creek" and when do you fish those? [Re: Heron] #12701946 04/04/18 12:07 AM
Donald Harper Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
Many creeks and rivers wind around for miles through the country side. Many of these are very shallow at the mouth where the cove narrows down into just the creek or river channel. As you go farther back you are looking for two physical things to happen.
- Hopefully the creek will get deeper as you get past the silted in section at it's mouth. The creek may play out to real skinny water then once a half mile or so into the creek it will begin to get deeper.
- Hopefully the water will begin to clear up the farther back you go.
I usually start fishing when the water depth in the middle of the creek or river gets to 10 ft. deep. Work the creek as far back as you can go; looking for those two physical things to take place. Getting back to the heavily wooded tree lined banks is the key. Target the lay-downs off the banks once you get into the wooded area of the creek. This is where the banks are lined with trees. Lay-downs form wind blowing them over and beaver doing some cutting will provide the fish with ambush spots that are a little off the bank. Running form one to the next will tell you really quick if the fish are back there. I like to run a small 1/4 oz spinner bait down all sides of the lay-downs then work the tree tops with a 5" Black/Blue Flake with Blue Tail Lizard; using a 1/4 oz. Trig..

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Re: What is meant by the "back of a creek" and when do you fish those? [Re: Heron] #12701967 04/04/18 12:19 AM
S
Skeeter man ZX225 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
If your not kicking up mud with your trolling motor you are fishing too deep.

Re: What is meant by the "back of a creek" and when do you fish those? [Re: Heron] #12702035 04/04/18 12:52 AM
B
bigbass94 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Back of a creek is a relative term. Typically it comes into play during the Fall and Spring, when baitfish move back (Fall) and when bass go to spawn (Spring). The back could be the very back or just the last 1/2 of the creek. How far back depends on where the fish are in the creek.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." - Doug Larson
Re: What is meant by the "back of a creek" and when do you fish those? [Re: Heron] #12702102 04/04/18 01:42 AM
H
Herron Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
H
Hmmm.....not sure we have much of a consensus here, but thanks for all the input. Best I can tell at this point, the "Back" is somewhere between going aground and where the creek empties into a lake cove (which I would have thought was the "Front" of the creek but I've got lots to learn, yet). Ideally, it is at least 10 feet deep and lined with lay downs that are covered up in spawning and/or feeding fish. Good to know, and again, thanks! smile

Re: What is meant by the "back of a creek" and when do you fish those? [Re: Donald Harper] #12702107 04/04/18 01:45 AM
Ken A. Online Content
Groovy
Online Content
Groovy
Originally Posted By: Donald Harper
Many creeks and rivers wind around for miles through the country side. Many of these are very shallow at the mouth where the cove narrows down into just the creek or river channel. As you go farther back you are looking for two physical things to happen.
- Hopefully the creek will get deeper as you get past the silted in section at it's mouth. The creek may play out to real skinny water then once a half mile or so into the creek it will begin to get deeper.
I usually start fishing when the water depth in the middle of the creek or river gets to 10 ft. deep. Work the creek as far back as you can go; looking for those two physical things to take place. Getting back to the heavily wooded tree lined banks is the key. Target the lay-downs off the banks once you get into the wooded area of the creek. This is where the banks are lined with trees. Lay-downs form wind blowing them over and beaver doing some cutting will provide the fish with ambush spots that are a little off the bank. Running form one to the next will tell you really quick if the fish are back there. I like to run a small 1/4 oz spinner bait down all sides of the lay-downs then work the tree tops with a 5" Black/Blue Flake with Blue Tail Lizard; using a 1/4 oz. Trig..

Good points Donald. I think those fish that far back are resident fish too. I believe those fish are born, live & die in that same small stretch of creek.

What do you think?

Re: What is meant by the "back of a creek" and when do you fish those? [Re: Herron] #12702112 04/04/18 01:48 AM
Ken A. Online Content
Groovy
Online Content
Groovy
Originally Posted By: Herron
Hmmm.....not sure we have much of a consensus here, but thanks for all the input. Best I can tell at this point, the "Back" is somewhere between going aground and where the creek empties into a lake cove (which I would have thought was the "Front" of the creek but I've got lots to learn, yet). Ideally, it is at least 10 feet deep and lined with lay downs that are covered up in spawning and/or feeding fish. Good to know, and again, thanks! smile

I wouldn't expect there to be a consensus on this. It is more of an individual angler's perception. I could take you to an area in Birch Creek that you would call the "back of the creek" when in reality we are still TWO Miles from the back of Birch.

Re: What is meant by the "back of a creek" and when do you fish those? [Re: Heron] #12702139 04/04/18 02:10 AM
R
Rog Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
Look at Kens pic. See all those little feeder creeks. Go in each one right now and you will catch some fish and they each have some of the features all have described. One creek on the east side past the power lines you can go way back into it, others have shallow flats with the creek running through and some make deep coves that you break down into 3rds again as ken describes. I have caught better fish out on the shallow flats next to the channel and drain intersects versus going all the way to the back in the spring. But I always hear the those stories of guys who catch a 13 plus making a long cast way back where they cant get the boat.

Re: What is meant by the "back of a creek" and when do you fish those? [Re: Ken A.] #12702211 04/04/18 02:58 AM
Donald Harper Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Ken A.
Originally Posted By: Donald Harper

Good points Donald. I think those fish that far back are resident fish too. I believe those fish are born, live & die in that same small stretch of creek.

What do you think?

They are resident fish. They have everything they need back there. Their down fall is a couple of years of drought. Another point to make here is find access way up the rivers and creeks. Put in up there and work back out toward the mouth of the creek. I use to have a smaller boat just for those adventures and learned to fish where no one else would go, which would be several miles off the lake and many times untouched waters.

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide