Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Lake Houston #12694920 03/29/18 06:15 PM
King. Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
I'm sure not too many of you care about Lake Houston, but man i'm disappointed in our city. As of yesterday they are permanently lowering the lake 2.5 feet. After having 2 kids in 2 years my tourney traveling days are over. Stuck fishing the local mudhole, but grateful to still have my boat! Not only is that gonna devastate home values, most of the bass habitat will be high and dry, it will choke out most of the back waters, and leave dangerous hazards all over the lake and rivers. Some of the local neighborhood parks have boat ramps that wont be usable anymore. It took "them" less than 48 hours to lower the lake 2.5 feet, with today's technology and advance notice of storms and hurricanes, why permanently lower the lake? I get they have to do something in response to the flooding Harvey caused, but i dont get this one. The sand pit mining up the west fork is a major player in the river and lake silting in. They need to regulate those suckers. They have been dumping sand in the river for years. Investors buying up all the river bottom land and developing it, gotta have less infrastructure on the bottoms, common sense if you ask me. They need to dredge the west fork of the San Jac from Conroe to Houston. I guess its easier to screw over a relatively small population of people, hurt the fisheries resource, and potentially kill someone because of the now exposed hazards than it is to come up with the money and litigation to mitigate the real issues at hand. I'm sure Conroe will be next on the list to permanently lower. There is way more money surrounding that pond, so i'm sure the red tape is thick.

Last edited by King.; 03/29/18 06:23 PM.
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Lake Houston [Re: King.] #12694948 03/29/18 06:33 PM
C
Chucked Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
My understanding is that its not permanent, only for the summer/fall of this year while they dredge the lake and river.

Re: Lake Houston [Re: Chucked] #12694977 03/29/18 06:42 PM
King. Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
Haven't heard that, hope you are right. I did hear they were planning on dredging from 59 to LH Parkway but that wasn't a definite yet. Don't even know if that will be enough, its a start though.

Re: Lake Houston [Re: King.] #12695023 03/29/18 07:14 PM
Walls Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
I'm hopeful that it's the beginning of something being done. Actually bent my prop shaft and tore up my prop between 1960 bridge and the South RR tracks a couple of weeks ago captaining a high school team. I almost didn't captain that event, and committed to fishing South end of the lake for this exact reason.....and it happened anyway. I will never cast a shadow on that lake bottom again, but I hope it gets fixed for everyone else.

Re: Lake Houston [Re: King.] #12695063 03/29/18 07:32 PM
C
ChanceHuiet Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
First. How long have you lived on the lake. I remember back in 2011 the lake got real low. Like 5 plus feet. We still launched and caught a ton of fish. There is alot more than just the brush you see on the bank that holds fish on Houston. I agree that it will put more hazards in play but for the bass fisherman that know the lake it won't hurt a single thing. Only thing it's going to effect with my fishing is some of the spots I like you had to get past a super shallow spot to get to them and at 2' low those are out of play.

Originally Posted by lakeforkfisherman
I can backlash toilet paper.
Re: Lake Houston [Re: Walls] #12695070 03/29/18 07:34 PM
C
ChanceHuiet Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: 5X3Phoenix
I'm hopeful that it's the beginning of something being done. Actually bent my prop shaft and tore up my prop between 1960 bridge and the South RR tracks a couple of weeks ago captaining a high school team. I almost didn't captain that event, and committed to fishing South end of the lake for this exact reason.....and it happened anyway. I will never cast a shadow on that lake bottom again, but I hope it gets fixed for everyone else.

The whole south end is full of shallow flats with timber. I've found a few myself.

Re: Lake Houston [Re: King.] #12695079 03/29/18 07:40 PM
K
kellisag Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
Should make for a good spawn next year and better fishing in the future with all the new growth that will happen!

Re: Lake Houston [Re: King.] #12695137 03/29/18 08:24 PM
K
Kisndismis Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
The construction on 59 there is another reason they are lowering it also. But I tell you this, they killed the spawn in less than 48 hours on the lake. I am stuck fishing the mudhole here too but I catch enough to justify the effort. I have been on shallow fish for a month now and last week lost a big one in less than 2ft of water, while it rained last night and the lake is full, I predict by Tue that same spot will be dry. The lowering killed the spawn for sure. As if the lake is not F* up to begin with being shallow, not enough cover for decent bass to grow, no grass, no deep underwater structure, now this. I may just start frustrating myself with Conroe again, or take up basket weaving.

I went to the indoor range with the wife today and squeezed of several anger rounds because of this. HC flood control drained the oxbow lake I have been fishing since 08 that was full of nice bass and crappie that was off the river close to 59 about a month ago, now this. Man Im pissed.

Last edited by Kisndismis; 03/29/18 08:24 PM.

Watch it happen, make it happen, or say what the hell happened. Capt. Phil Harris F/V Cornelia Marie RIP
Re: Lake Houston [Re: King.] #12695149 03/29/18 08:29 PM
K
Kisndismis Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
And not to beat you up Chance, but when was the last time you saw a bag over 20 come out of the lake? 14 will get a check and 16-17 will win it. I have seen a couple at 19 recently but think that guy is fishing one of the oxbows up in the river that few very few can get into. We get back there in yaks, and did once during a flood, even made it to the condos off Townsen to crystal blue water when the lake looks like it does today! But not to disagree, a lot of bags come out of the S end for sure.

Last edited by Kisndismis; 03/29/18 08:30 PM.

Watch it happen, make it happen, or say what the hell happened. Capt. Phil Harris F/V Cornelia Marie RIP
Re: Lake Houston [Re: ChanceHuiet] #12695151 03/29/18 08:30 PM
King. Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
Originally Posted By: ChanceHuiet
First. How long have you lived on the lake. I remember back in 2011 the lake got real low. Like 5 plus feet. We still launched and caught a ton of fish. There is alot more than just the brush you see on the bank that holds fish on Houston. I agree that it will put more hazards in play but for the bass fisherman that know the lake it won't hurt a single thing. Only thing it's going to effect with my fishing is some of the spots I like you had to get past a super shallow spot to get to them and at 2' low those are out of play.

I dont live on the lake. Fished it off an on for 20 years, recently started fishing it more seriously. I know how to run it, i was speaking for all the others that dont. Ive seen plenty of recreational boaters run right through places they shouldn't. Those people have no clue how to run, or how shallow that lake really is. Those folks are the ones that will get hurt. Some of the little private boat ramps that are shallower wont be usable. Yes, the new growth will be great if they bring it back to full pool. I cant find anything saying its a temporary drop, all is see it that its a permanent. I wasn't really bitching about the affects it will have on the fishing, although if it stays low it will definitely have a negative impact on the spawn for while because the new growth wont come into play. Yea, obviously there are places with deeper structure, maybe it will change those stubborn suckers into moving out to it. Out of all the deep stuff i've found, very little of it is productive. Speaking generally about lake Houston bass fishing, if you aint churning up mud, then you aint catching the fish. But my rant wasn't specifically about the bass fishing, its about the bureaucratic BS the city officials are doing. They can drop the lake in 2 days or less, we have more warning that that when a big rain/hurricane is coming. If its just being lowered so the can dredge 59 to WLHP, the why are they saying its permanent? They aren't trying to fix the real issues causing the flooding.

Re: Lake Houston [Re: Kisndismis] #12695219 03/29/18 09:20 PM
C
ChanceHuiet Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: Kisndismis
And not to beat you up Chance, but when was the last time you saw a bag over 20 come out of the lake? 14 will get a check and 16-17 will win it. I have seen a couple at 19 recently but think that guy is fishing one of the oxbows up in the river that few very few can get into. We get back there in yaks, and did once during a flood, even made it to the condos off Townsen to crystal blue water when the lake looks like it does today! But not to disagree, a lot of bags come out of the S end for sure.

Jimmy and Deans winning sack last week was caught out of community areas everyone else fishes. I've seen a few over 20 and personally caught a 23 pound sack out there, helps to have a 7lb kicker, but I agree 100% you rarely ever see it happen. I know of a few sacks around 23 that have been caught. The fishing has gotten alot better in the last few years as for as weight wise. I've been fishing Houston for about 15 years. I remember when 12 was a giant bag. Thanks the to Florida stockings last few years it's getting better.

Re: Lake Houston [Re: King.] #12695257 03/29/18 09:48 PM
C130 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Guy I work with and lives in Kingwood told me the drop was permanent this morning. He is thrilled about it. He lives in Kingwood and was severely flooded during the hurricane and blames everyone else for the flooding. He makes well over $400,000 a year and didnt have flood insurance, says he shouldnt have needed it. Hes also one of the homeowners suing the SJRA and fighting for Conroe to be lowered also. We had some words at breakfast but hes all about himself and its everyone elses fault. Same guy also went to our employee help fund and got several thousand.

Last edited by C130; 03/29/18 09:53 PM.

Bass Cat Eyra
Re: Lake Houston [Re: King.] #12695262 03/29/18 09:53 PM
Reel Addict Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

PB Largemouth 8.56 Lake Fork
PB Largemouth 8.98 Sam Rayburn (Big Bass Splash)

Re: Lake Houston [Re: C130] #12695270 03/29/18 10:00 PM
C
ChanceHuiet Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: C130
Guy I work with and lives in Kingwood told me the drop was permanent this morning. He is thrilled about it. He lives in Kingwood and was severely flooded during the hurricane and blames everyone else for the flooding. He makes well over $400,000 a year and didnt have flood insurance, says he shouldnt have needed it. Hes also one of the homeowners suing the SJRA and fighting for Conroe to be lowered also. We had some words at breakfast but hes all about himself and its everyone elses fault. Same guy also went to our employee help fund and got several thousand.

Yeah it sucks horribly everyone got flooded but man Harvey was litteraly a freak of nature. They said what a 1000 year flood. Yeah he probably didn't need flood insurance normally but that wasnt a normal situation. It dont matter if the lake was lowered 10 feet I still think with all the bayous and river it would have flooded everything. Thats nobody fault in my opinion. Just an unfortunate scenario

Re: Lake Houston [Re: King.] #12695277 03/29/18 10:10 PM
361V Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Lake Houston could have been completely dry when the flooding hurricane stalled out and even backed up over them and it would have still flooded. That entire lake is nothing in compairison to the amount of runoff that was caused by Mother Nature.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide