Electronics Advice #12684728 03/22/18 07:10 PM
S
sfox6173 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Hello,

I need some help. I recently purchased my first ever new boat. A 2018 Stingray 206 Center Console. I failed to do enough research on electronics. I upgraded the trolling motor to a Minn Kota Riptide Ulterra 112. I was assuming that the I-Pilot Link came standard. WRONG. A Humminbird Helix 10 came with it on the dash. I assumed that this unit would have down or side imaging on it. IT DOES NOT.

1. I was wondering if I could just install a different transducer to give it down or side imaging?

Next, I plan on installing another Helix 10 up front.

2. Which would you recommend down or side imaging on this unit?

I had planned to install 360 imaging on the dash unit until several people told me not to waste my money on it as it is very difficult to read unless you are an airline pilot.

3. Anyone have good results with 360 imaging?

4. Lastly, is the I-Pilot Link worth the investment?

Last edited by sfox6173; 03/22/18 08:33 PM.
Re: Electronics Advice [Re: sfox6173] #12684985 03/22/18 09:31 PM
R
RODS454 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
I'll answer #3. Don't waste your money. Side image is much better IMHO.

"I'd rather be fishing!"
[Linked Image]

Re: Electronics Advice [Re: sfox6173] #12685165 03/23/18 12:08 AM
K
Ken Gaby Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
K
1. For optimum results, sell the Helix 10; put a Helix 7 or 10 up front with DI/GPS and a Helix 10 SI/GPS on the console. If that's not in the budget, move the Helix 10 to the bow and install Helix 10 SI/GPS on the console.

2. SI for the console. 360 is useful on the bow once you learn to read it. I don't see 360 being useful on the console. Needs to be up front so you're over the structure you're fishing.

3.Once reading the image is mastered, it is useful. But that takes plenty of time using it. I have fished with someone using 360 who could read it like SI, and say exactly how many fish were on a tree and at what depth.

4. Don't have the link. I just use the controller that came with the unit.

Just my 2cents and I'm far from an expert on electronics.

Since several mfgs started selling boats with sonar units installed, never understood why they would install the cheapest unit available. Sure, it makes the boat pkg price cheaper, but anyone who knows electronics knows they are paying for almost useless equipment. Need to have the option to upgrade units if they are included.

Last edited by Ken Gaby; 03/23/18 12:42 AM.

A life without God is like an unsharpened pencil, it has no point. Billy Graham
www.thermoclinelures.com "Helping YOU catch MORE & LARGER fish!"
http://www.crazyanglertackle.com Premium crappie baits and jig tying accessories
http://www.proanglertackle.com Best crappie and catfish rods/reels
http://www.beereadys.com World's Best Rod Holders
Re: Electronics Advice [Re: Ken Gaby] #12685191 03/23/18 12:32 AM
Jacob Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Ken Gaby
1. For optimum results, sell the Helix 10; put a Helix 7 or 10 up front with DI/GPS and a Helix 10 SI/GPS on the console. If that's not in the budget, move the Helix 10 to the bow and install Helix 10 SI/GPS on the console.

2. SI for the console. 360 is useful on the bow once you learn to read it. I don't see 360 being useful on the console. Needs to be up front so you're over the structure you're fishing.

3.Once reading the image is mastered, it is useful. But that takes plenty of time using it. I have fished with someone using 360 who could read it like SI, and say exactly how many fish were on a tree and at what depth.

Since several mfgs started selling boats with sonar units installed, never understood why they would install the cheapest unit available. Sure, it makes the boat pkg price cheaper, but anyone who knows electronics knows they are paying for almost useless equipment. Need to have the option to upgrade units if the are included.

Agree will all of the above. Dont rely on the Helix down imaging on the SI unit to be as good as a true standalone down image unit. The DI on Helix is a composite of the 2 (left and right) side images. Its just ok, but my Lowrance DI is much clearer and more precise because its using a true down image transducer.

Id put a sonar/DI/GPS unit up front and Helix 10 SI GPS on the console. Honestly, I still use a grayscale sonar only unit up front. All I need to know is that Im over the pile. If Ive already put the trolling motor down, that means Ive seen enough at the console to make me stop, and all I need to do is put the trolling motor on top of it.

If you get an Xi5, you can stand at the back of the boat like me and look at all three units at once! grin Ive got a transducer on all 3 corners of the boat!

Re: Electronics Advice [Re: sfox6173] #12685458 03/23/18 02:52 AM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
I have Si/Di on the console...used primarily for side scanning with the Big motor running..

I have Si/Di on the bow...just added 360, got to learn to dial it in and use it...but Then, I wanted it, as I fish a lot of shallow water, that I dont want to drive through to figure out whats going on...ipilot is wonderful, especially with the wireless troller...dont have the link, I have my command center up front...and its much simpler that way...in fact, to eliminate power concerns, interference issues, etc., I also added a separate battery up front, ran separate wires to a new fuse block, even got a genius one bank charger.for the front...hope this thought process helps...

Re: Electronics Advice [Re: sfox6173] #12685503 03/23/18 03:39 AM
scruboak Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Ooops garmin put a new box out high freq.

Re: Electronics Advice [Re: Jacob] #12686069 03/23/18 04:26 PM
A
aggie-2001 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
Originally Posted By: Jacob

Since several mfgs started selling boats with sonar units installed, never understood why they would install the cheapest unit available. Sure, it makes the boat pkg price cheaper, but anyone who knows electronics knows they are paying for almost useless equipment. Need to have the option to upgrade units if the are included.

Agree will all of the above. Dont rely on the Helix down imaging on the SI unit to be as good as a true standalone down image unit. The DI on Helix is a composite of the 2 (left and right) side images. Its just ok, but my Lowrance DI is much clearer and more precise because its using a true down image transducer.

Id put a sonar/DI/GPS unit up front and Helix 10 SI GPS on the console. Honestly, I still use a grayscale sonar only unit up front. All I need to know is that Im over the pile. If Ive already put the trolling motor down, that means Ive seen enough at the console to make me stop, and all I need to do is put the trolling motor on top of it.

If you get an Xi5, you can stand at the back of the boat like me and look at all three units at once! grin Ive got a transducer on all 3 corners of the boat!

That is interesting. I had no idea that DI only units had superior down imaging performance. I currently have a Humminbird 999 SI on the console. I was planning on moving that unit to the bow and purchasing a new Helix g2n SI for the console. Maybe I should rethink that plan. I imagine I will be using DI most of the time at the bow anyway.

Re: Electronics Advice [Re: sfox6173] #12686100 03/23/18 04:53 PM
44 Diesel Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
The new helix mega units will have the all in one transducer which mean a dedicated di/si/2d circuits. No more computer generated composite di. If you get a helix mega di unit you can get the new low q chirp transducer with it. It will provide full spectrum high frequency chirp, more or less a true chirp 2d transducer but it will still provide mega di also

Last edited by 44 Diesel; 03/23/18 04:57 PM.
Re: Electronics Advice [Re: sfox6173] #12686194 03/23/18 06:03 PM
B
Bobby Milam Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Keep your helix 10 sonar and buy a helix with SI. Network the units together and then you can have that 2d unit receiving di and SI so screens from your side unit. You only need one SI on the boat with helix. If you do go to the mega unit, then you won't be able to do that I believe.

Re: Electronics Advice [Re: Bobby Milam] #12686203 03/23/18 06:09 PM
W
Wayne P. Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: Bobby Milam
Keep your helix 10 sonar and buy a helix with SI. Network the units together and then you can have that 2d unit receiving di and SI so screens from your side unit. You only need one SI on the boat with helix. If you do go to the mega unit, then you won't be able to do that I believe.

Yes you can, just can't share the MEGA frequency to a first generation unit or share sonar with CHIRP turned on with a first generation unit. Basically you can share 83/200/455/800 kHz.

If you get both first generation units in the Helix 10 version you can share everything except mapping.

Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G3N and G4N, 1198c SI, SOLIX 10 SI G3,
Helix 8 MEGA SI+ GPS G4N, SOLIX 12 SI and G3, MEGA 360, MEGA LIVE TL, RC-1
Re: Electronics Advice [Re: Ken Gaby] #12686275 03/23/18 07:02 PM
U
UJC Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
U
Since several mfgs started selling boats with sonar units installed, never understood why they would install the cheapest unit available. Sure, it makes the boat pkg price cheaper, but anyone who knows electronics knows they are paying for almost useless equipment. Need to have the option to upgrade units if they are included.

Ken, spot on! Same with TMs.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide