facebook
Forum Stats
108438 Members
61 Forums
827524 Topics
12028863 Posts

Max Online: 36273 @ 01/23/13 02:34 PM
Topic Options
#12684436 - 03/22/18 11:51 AM Looking to buy Minn Kota bt15 Talon any pro are con from people that have them
jafish Offline
Angler

Loc: lubbock,tx
Let me know what is going on with these 15ft Talon monsters. Do they work and do they fall apart being that long? I don’t want to buy the thing to later find out they are junk. Help me out here if you have one.

Edited by jafish (03/22/18 12:03 PM)

#12684574 - 03/22/18 12:53 PM Re: Looking to buy Minn Kota bt15 Talon any pro are con from people that have them [Re: jafish]
the skipper Online   content
TFF Team Angler

Loc: nederland, TX
They havent been out long but I have a pair. 2 cons, they are tall and they are heavy. I got tilt brackets so being tall isn't that big of a deal. They will add about 150# with brackets and all on the back. I didn't really lose performance it I can tell they are there by how the boat sits. I guess there is one more con if your ocd, it makes cleaning the rear of the boat harder and getting in the bilge harder but that would go for talons or poles.
They haven't had any issues and have good holding power in 15'. I've used them a lot since I got them. I don't think I've used spot lock since I've got them. It's nice parking on a hump and not making a noise to scare fish. I've used them a lot for shallow flipping.

#12685366 - 03/22/18 09:02 PM Re: Looking to buy Minn Kota bt15 Talon any pro are con from people that have them [Re: the skipper]
jafish Offline
Angler

Thanks skipper for the input. I did order it. Wonder why they say it has a work light and not just make it a required night rear running light?

#12685386 - 03/22/18 09:14 PM Re: Looking to buy Minn Kota bt15 Talon any pro are con from people that have them [Re: jafish]
the skipper Online   content
TFF Team Angler

Loc: nederland, TX
I thought that too. They are pretty good lights though. Blue or white with 3 brightness settings for each color.

#12685406 - 03/22/18 09:22 PM Re: Looking to buy Minn Kota bt15 Talon any pro are con from people that have them [Re: jafish]
Jeff From Iowa Online   content
Outdoorsman

love them, I have used spot lock a few times since adding them and boy did it make me realize how bad spot lock blows out in front of you where you plan to fish if you are moving at all and hit it.. Ive used my talons in some nasty wind and if you have the BACK of the boat facing the wind they will hold and is simply amazing, If I want the front into the wind I use spot lock and talon down

my boat is the same speed as before I added them I had planned to do lithiums but am not now since it actually seems better handling it may be the prop change I did at the same time, I need to swap back to the old one and confirm.

The lights are pointed forward and down at the boat they light up the back half of the boat enough to sit and tie lures etc. they are not on top and are not a nav light.

#12685514 - 03/22/18 10:47 PM Re: Looking to buy Minn Kota bt15 Talon any pro are con from people that have them [Re: Jeff From Iowa]
jafish Offline
Angler

Now that we know it has power in the top my son is going to add a 360 degree light strip to use as a running light. We would like to have a red are blue strip down the left side of the Talon to use during night bass fishing. We though that would be a softer light than white in an effort not to spook the fish. The older shorter units don’t have power in the top. 15ft is a long way down and I was worried that the distance would cause failure when run all the way out. I have an ultrerra two hummingbirds 10s and now this so Johnson Manufactury should be proud of me. That ulterra blowing and going is shallow water trying to hold the boat on spot lock would be hard on the fishing with the water turning over everywhere. I guess it’s a boys and their toys thing. Thanks for your info. Jeff.

Edited by jafish (03/22/18 10:50 PM)

#12685945 - 03/23/18 10:24 AM Re: Looking to buy Minn Kota bt15 Talon any pro are con from people that have them [Re: jafish]
Outdoorsman

Originally Posted By: jafish
Now that we know it has power in the top my son is going to add a 360 degree light strip to use as a running light. We would like to have a red are blue strip down the left side of the Talon to use during night bass fishing. We though that would be a softer light than white in an effort not to spook the fish. The older shorter units don’t have power in the top. 15ft is a long way down and I was worried that the distance would cause failure when run all the way out. I have an ultrerra two hummingbirds 10s and now this so Johnson Manufactury should be proud of me. That ulterra blowing and going is shallow water trying to hold the boat on spot lock would be hard on the fishing with the water turning over everywhere. I guess it’s a boys and their toys thing. Thanks for your info. Jeff.

To add a light you need to run power there from your light pole.

I used black 3 wire that was the same diameter outside as the talon power wires so it would look the same. I only used two of the three but wanted it to look the same.

I ran it down the side of the unit the same as the other side, I put a few wraps of tape in a few places to make it stay in the slot.

For night fishing youll want the led strips on your rail so the BUGS stay down there not up by you. Look at nightfishion or blue water led and youll see they have some different options. I have in rail night fishion.

Edited by Jeff From Iowa (03/23/18 10:28 AM)

#12687026 - 03/24/18 02:55 AM Re: Looking to buy Minn Kota bt15 Talon any pro are con from people that have them [Re: jafish]
jafish Offline
Angler

Jeff that is so slick the way you have the running light on top looking factory made. How did you come up with the light? Did you rob it off of a stern light from a box store? How did you attach it to the top with jb weld are something close to that? Had another guy say that the Talon has a small draw on the battery when not in use so he installed an off on switch for the power. Do you know anything about that? Used my ulterra yesterday for the first time and my hummingbird 10. Learning curve going on there. I like that light and need to get going on that when it gets here. Thanks

#12687222 - 03/24/18 09:37 AM Re: Looking to buy Minn Kota bt15 Talon any pro are con from people that have them [Re: jafish]
Outdoorsman

The talons have a green led light that are always on. so yes definite draw.

the light I took off the top of a short alum pole light I bought off ebay or amazon. All I did was used a uni bit to drill a big round hole until it fit down flush and then used 3m 5200 on it, my thought was the 5200 is really hard to get apart but does come apart so the light should possibly break off and not ruin my top cap when I hit something with it.

I installed this master cut off it has two poles so it cuts off my tm AND starting system entirely. By adding it I can now leave my ultrex pedal switch on, my accessory switch on. I cut the flanges off so it would be round like the other stuff I added.

https://www.waytekwire.com/item/44057/Cole-Hersee-880175-TR-Series-500A-/

© 1998-2018 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide