Print Thread
More Carp Fishing with Friends! #12680585 03/20/18 01:48 AM
T
TXMulti-Species Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
Got really lucky and actually got a day off from work and, of course, I spent it on the bank. Took my sister along to *attempt* to show her the ropes. That didn't work out too well, and I ended up doing everything for her outside of fighting her fish after she lost three fish and several of my rigs, all the while throwing bait all over the place. The important part, though, is that we caught fish and had a blast doing it! She just needs more practice and she'll be on her own in no time. All fish were caught on a strawberry and oats method mix and were released to fight another day.

FYI... the guys at CAG bullied me into not covering my face in my photos, so from now on you'll get to see my handsome mug. However, I'll still be doing it for others unless I've got their permission to do otherwise.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
First fish of the day, off to a good start! I had barely gotten my rods in the water when I got this 11lber. I didn't weigh many of the others as the action was too hot, we had a few doubles and two triples that day!

This one was actually a triple and my sister lost her fish... but these two beauties are mine! I let the little one go immediately and took a picture with the bigger one.

This is the big one from my double, he sure is a fatty!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
At this point, I'd had four carp on the bank and countless small catfish, the pesky little critters. But I swear I didn't steal the honey hole! My sister was still getting as much action as me, she just couldn't seem to land 'em.

She finally landed her first fish of the day and it was a very nice Channel Cat!

My first decent Channel Catfish of the day, all of the others were babies.

Action had died down a bit by this point, but I still picked off this one!

Sister got her first carp! She was ecstatic to finally get one out of the water.

Sister's friend stopped by and I decided I'd let him use one of my rods, and he got this solid 12lb 4oz carp. His biggest fish ever, hopefully not for long!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This was a double with the 12lber above, and my current PB of 16lb 10oz! Still on the hunt for the 20lber, but who's complaining when you're catching these beauties?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Everyone else left when the mosquitoes started biting, but I stayed just long enough to net my fourth ever Buffalo at 12lb 4oz! Another one of my sister's friends (not pictured) lost one earlier right at the bank, it was a tragedy. This one sorta made up for it.

All these results and without even prebaiting, I'm sure I'll feel somewhat silly doing it next time. We all had a fantastic time and I'm sure I'll make carpers out of the three people that were with me that day.

Catch and release. The dream - to catch one of every species of Freshwater fish in our great state! If only I can resist Carp...
https://txmultispecies.imgur.com/
[Linked Image]
Re: More Carp Fishing with Friends! [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12680692 03/20/18 03:16 AM
banker-always fishing Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Awesome post and some solid fish. You Sir are a "Carp Catching Machine"! flehan Good job. cheers

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: More Carp Fishing with Friends! [Re: banker-always fishing] #12681070 03/20/18 02:12 PM
T
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: banker-always fishing
Awesome post and some solid fish. You Sir are a "Carp Catching Machine"! flehan Good job. cheers

Thanks! I dunno if I'd describe myself like that just yet, I've still got a lot to learn.

Catch and release. The dream - to catch one of every species of Freshwater fish in our great state! If only I can resist Carp...
[Linked Image]
Re: More Carp Fishing with Friends! [Re: banker-always fishing] #12681204 03/20/18 04:12 PM
G
gar1970 Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
G
Originally Posted By: banker-always fishing
+1 awesome! just awesome!

https://www.Jiglyf.com

TEXAS ELITE ANGLER
Re: More Carp Fishing with Friends! [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12681291 03/20/18 05:08 PM
D
Dave24 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
I've been baiting that spot quite a bit lately. Looks like it's working!

Re: More Carp Fishing with Friends! [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12681352 03/20/18 05:40 PM
Dfitz Offline
"Nice Guy"
"Nice Guy"
Lots of action, sounds like fun

Don't worry about the mule, just load the cart
[Linked Image]
Re: More Carp Fishing with Friends! [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12681401 03/20/18 06:21 PM
M
MinMirny Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
Tons of respect for attempting to convert your sister into our religion!
It always a different fun when you are fishing with loved people.
You arranged this trip so well, she just must to love it from now on.
Wish you both luck!
Last but not least --- thank you for wonderful report!

Light tackle carp fishing vet.
PB carp: common 27lb - mirror 27.5lb - grassy 42lb - ghost 14lb
Re: More Carp Fishing with Friends! [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12681442 03/20/18 06:51 PM
P
Park Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
Good show Man !!!

I got some questions on baiting the area. So do you bait like couple days ahead of time? Like may be ones a day for 2 or 3 days before you go and fish the same area ?

Have you ever used "Range cubes" to bait the area for carp ? They are pretty cheap and every feed store seems to have it.

Or is it traditional method of mixing the oatmeal, panko, sweet feed, chili powder, and some corn ?

Thanks much !!

Re: More Carp Fishing with Friends! [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12681515 03/20/18 07:49 PM
sae Offline
Angler
Angler
Good to see you out of the witness protection program, maybe your sis will escape soon. great job on the
fish and pics ,thank's.

Re: More Carp Fishing with Friends! [Re: Park] #12682516 03/21/18 01:39 PM
T
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: Park
Good show Man !!!

I got some questions on baiting the area. So do you bait like couple days ahead of time? Like may be ones a day for 2 or 3 days before you go and fish the same area ?

Have you ever used "Range cubes" to bait the area for carp ? They are pretty cheap and every feed store seems to have it.

Or is it traditional method of mixing the oatmeal, panko, sweet feed, chili powder, and some corn ?

Thanks much !!

Thanks!
I usually bait up for at least 3 days prior to fishing an area, and I try to keep it at the same time I plan to fish because the fish will pick up on the pattern and be there waiting for food to fall from the sky.
I've seen a lot of talk on range cubes and have tried them myself, but not enough to give a definitive answer. A 50lb bag for ~$12 is worth a try though! I've even heard of people hair rigging them to use as a hook bait.
The traditional method would be more like using Wheaties and soda (big red) balled up around a treble hook. The tackle and tactics I use are virtually unheard of here in the states. That mix isn't anything special, and you should experiment to find what works best for you, I've been trying out different flavors and materials myself.

Last edited by TXMulti-Species; 03/21/18 01:39 PM.

[Linked Image]
Re: More Carp Fishing with Friends! [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12682524 03/21/18 01:43 PM
T
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
Thanks guys! Sorry if I stole your spot, Dave. It was a spur of the moment trip and the spot was easy to access and looked too great to pass up! I knew someone carp fished around there because there's a sticker on the fence advertising "The Kraken" from American Carp Gear.

[Linked Image]
Re: More Carp Fishing with Friends! [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12682617 03/21/18 02:31 PM
P
Park Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
Thanks man for all the tips on baiting the area prior to fishing.

I will give it a try and let you all know the results.

woot

Re: More Carp Fishing with Friends! [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12683864 03/22/18 11:34 AM
G
Gitter Done Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
G
One GREAT post with some super fish! Thanks for sharing.

Re: More Carp Fishing with Friends! [Re: Gitter Done] #12685496 03/23/18 03:31 AM
T
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: Park
Thanks man for all the tips on baiting the area prior to fishing.

I will give it a try and let you all know the results.

woot

No problem, I'm excited to see how you do!

Originally Posted By: Gitter Done
One GREAT post with some super fish! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks!

[Linked Image]
Re: More Carp Fishing with Friends! [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12686164 03/23/18 05:50 PM
P
Pot licker Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
P
Awesome post its wonderful you take your sister fishing! clap

Texas Elite Angler 🎣
https://www.jiglyf.com
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide