Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Team tournament tactics? #12675305 03/16/18 11:27 AM
i-Fish Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Do you fellas do anything differently for a team event versus an individual event? Im a boater so I know what Im throwing but I wasnt sure if the co-angler should be throwing the same things or something different?

If you can't find em wind em.
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Team tournament tactics? [Re: i-Fish] #12675349 03/16/18 12:39 PM
S
Shallow Waters Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
I am of the opinion that if one of you is just tearing up the fish with a specific bait, then you both need to be throwing that bait. Otherwise you should both being throwing something different, likely different parts of the water column.

Nobody likes to be the one not catching with the confidence bait, but there is no point in throwing the same bait at the same water twice.

Re: Team tournament tactics? [Re: Shallow Waters] #12675363 03/16/18 12:49 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted By: Shallow Waters
I am of the opinion that if one of you is just tearing up the fish with a specific bait, then you both need to be throwing that bait. Otherwise you should both being throwing something different, likely different parts of the water column.

Nobody likes to be the one not catching with the confidence bait, but there is no point in throwing the same bait at the same water twice.

This is what I'd do. But, if the water column is producing, maybe I'll pitch to isolated stuff while my partner is working a moving bait.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Team tournament tactics? [Re: i-Fish] #12675388 03/16/18 01:00 PM
HARD WORKN HAROLD Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Usually at Lake Fork, when one partner is whacking the fish, the other partner is casting a 10XD as far as he can to fend off the suitors trying to win the derby. bolt

DON'T LET THE CLOTHES FOOL YA
Life is too short to fish with a dead cricket!
PB: wife of 40 years
Re: Team tournament tactics? [Re: HARD WORKN HAROLD] #12675398 03/16/18 01:03 PM
John175☮ Online Happy
MACHO MAN
Online Happy
MACHO MAN
Originally Posted By: HARD WORKN HAROLD
Usually at Lake Fork, when one partner is whacking the fish, the other partner is casting a 10XD as far as he can to fend off the suitors trying to win the derby. bolt

#gamechanger

Adapting to conditions.

I would usually start with two different bait then let the fish tell us what they want. When the bites slows switch around to other lures.

“Do not pray for easier lives. Pray to be stronger men.” -JFK
Re: Team tournament tactics? [Re: i-Fish] #12675410 03/16/18 01:14 PM
Donald Harper Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
My concept of two fisherman working together relates to my mapping work. This is a Contour technique that I have used through out my fishing years. You must find the areas with the best contours holding irregular features. When a pattern is established then both fisherman can work on the fish that are at that depth range where they are found.
- The deep water Contour at 20 ft. is the magic depth to keep the boat as you fish along taking the boat in and out following that line.
- All irregular features along that contour line will be holding fish.
- This depth is very close where the fish live or their Comfort Zone.
- The man in front is casting toward the shallows with search baits. These are streamline baits that can be thrown long distances such as Short Crig in 1/2 oz. with the weight pegged. Senkos, Flukes and Ring Fries are great for this application as well as many of the hard baits.
- The best spots are extremely close from the 20 ft. contour to the feeding grounds of 5 to 10 ft. of water. The man in front can easily make the cast to the shallows.
- The man in the back of the boat is dragging a Crig. in no more than 1/2 oz.. This rig is following the contour in an out on the irregular features that are holding staging fish that are looking to move up to feed or are returning to that comfort zone.
- The key is keeping that Crig. in the water as long as possible. At times there will be lots of line out behind the boat. I like Braid for this application; so the hook set on a long line is possible.
- It has never failed for the man in the back to catch the kicker fish during an 8 hour period of dragging.

It is important that you do your mapping work to find the best spots on the lake to apply this technique. The fish that you find are there for a reason and that is irregular features on a contour.

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Re: Team tournament tactics? [Re: i-Fish] #12675747 03/16/18 04:00 PM
senko9S Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I'll find the fish and then we will both throw what they want to maximize our limit fast and efficiently.

Re: Team tournament tactics? [Re: i-Fish] #12676007 03/16/18 06:42 PM
J
jfdawson Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
IMO, when fishing a Team Tx - we throw different styles until one of us catches a fish. Example: If fishing shallow, one throws a "moving" bait ( square bill, swim jig, Chatter bait, Frog, topwater, etc.. ) and the other throws soft plastics ( worm, jig, craw/beaver ) . If deep, one throws Crig or A-rig and other throws a DD22, spoon, etc.. We try to hone in on Depth, water temp, color as well as try to understand what the fish are relating to: Cover, bait, bottom, structure, grass, brush, timber, lay downs, etc... wind, cloud cover, bright sunshine & water temp, all play into decisions as well.

Once we can dial in a pattern then both of us will throw the same thing and look for similar areas that mimic what we are catching them on. If the pattern starts to fail, then we adjust and try to find them again.

Re: Team tournament tactics? [Re: Shallow Waters] #12676067 03/16/18 07:26 PM
TexasTechBassAngler Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Originally Posted By: Shallow Waters

'

Agreed

Re: Team tournament tactics? [Re: Donald Harper] #12676143 03/16/18 08:26 PM
B
BlueSkeeter13 Online Content
Outdoorsman
Online Content
Outdoorsman
B
Mr. Harper I wish I knew just 25% of the things you've probably forgotten over the years. When you say this stuff it just makes perfect sense.

Re: Team tournament tactics? [Re: BlueSkeeter13] #12676523 03/17/18 01:36 AM
Donald Harper Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: BlueSkeeter13
Mr. Harper I wish I knew just 25% of the things you've probably forgotten over the years. When you say this stuff it just makes perfect sense.

Thanks. It is not as easy as it sounds. I will be glad to help you with some articles that I have written. Just send me an Email at: fishnteacher@gmail.com.

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Re: Team tournament tactics? [Re: i-Fish] #12677941 03/18/18 01:47 PM
Big Red 12 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
The main difference is having two brains to pick a lake apart and listening to each other in making decisions on the water that maybe crucial. Ex. Bass Champs-we had two fish in the box a 1:00. We made a decision to go to one of my backwater places where the fish are not usually there with the colder conditions have been in place. However, it usually has a little warmer water and clearer water. In w 1/2 hours we boated 25 keepers and mad numerous culls and got our weight up to 10.06 in Unders. Had there not been two brains in the boat, that decision might not have been made. I didn't really want to go there even though it is one of my spots. But, my partner was very persuasive that we go, since not much else was working. So, listen to one another and make joint decisions. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. But, I will take the two anytime.

Re: Team tournament tactics? [Re: Big Red 12] #12678294 03/18/18 08:48 PM
D
Dual Threat Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
D
Originally Posted By: Big Red 12
The main difference is having two brains to pick a lake apart and listening to each other in making decisions on the water that maybe crucial. Ex. Bass Champs-we had two fish in the box a 1:00. We made a decision to go to one of my backwater places where the fish are not usually there with the colder conditions have been in place. However, it usually has a little warmer water and clearer water. In w 1/2 hours we boated 25 keepers and mad numerous culls and got our weight up to 10.06 in Unders. Had there not been two brains in the boat, that decision might not have been made. I didn't really want to go there even though it is one of my spots. But, my partner was very persuasive that we go, since not much else was working. So, listen to one another and make joint decisions. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. But, I will take the two anytime.

Good points here. I've been in that late afternoon situation before. Always wondering if the dead spot you're in will turn on, or is it time to take a chance on another spot.

Should I stay, or should I go... Always seems to result in a better decision when you have 2 brains involved.

Re: Team tournament tactics? [Re: i-Fish] #12678403 03/18/18 10:28 PM
J
Jobie99 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
J
Dont overthink things... Fish the way you fish and let the other guy fish the way he fishes. One time my
brother and I were fishing Basschamps on Amistad and he caught a 7 on a jig. It needed to be retied after so he opted to throw a senko instead. I started griping at him about changing baits and he caught at 5.5 on that same cast. We had the winning weight that day, but came in second on account of a dead fish. Go with your confidence bait and if you want a partner that is going to throw something different find a partner with a different confidence bait. Thats my 2 cents.... that along with a buck itll get you a cup of coffee at your neighborhood gas station.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide