texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,013
TexDawg 119,783
Bigbob_FTW 95,321
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,326
Mark Perry 72,486
Derek 🐝 68,321
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,881
Posts13,954,755
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Visiting Texas to Fish [Re: Dukboy] #12650845 02/28/18 10:06 AM
P
photofishin Offline
Angler
Angler
P
Look up my buddy Lance if you plan a trip to Baffin. He'll put you on the fish. He also can make some great recommendations for wade fishing the area. http://www.baffinguideservice.com/

Re: Visiting Texas to Fish [Re: Dukboy] #12651154 02/28/18 03:09 PM
T
TroutSupport.com Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Any lures you would use for bass will be fine for trout and reds. Small walk the dog lures such as spook juniors or zara spooks will do fine. A spinnerbait with the skirt removed and a minnow shaped paddle tail us a great redfish bait. Same for small shallow diving (wake baits) such as the Manns 1 minus. Caveat, after your trip you'll probably have to replace all your hooks becuase they will rust, but that's ok. During your short trip, the freshwater black nickel hooks or bronze hooks will be fine.

I personally would still do the Stingray Shuffle, I've seen stingrays on spring break, not lots of them but 1 is enough to ruin a lot of things..and could sideline you for months while the recovery happens. The foot action is just sliding the feet along the bottom instead of stepping.. it's a little akin to ice skating without actually taking the sole of the boot off the bottom. If you slide the toe forward it will bump a stingray on the side of it's body and like the above poster said, not step on it.. when you step on them they will barb you.. and it will go through most boots or shoes or what have you. I've waded the texas coast for over 20 years and I've never been stung with this method.. just keep your balance and take your time.

Spring weather can be highly variable hear in Texas.. I mean all ya'll have is Damp Cold this time of year.. on the Texas Coast it can be Damp cold one minute and bright sunny and hot the next. But mostly fairly cool on the water and the wind will make it feel cooler. If you have waders you might consider bringing them.. .you can wet wade that time of year but I wouldn't go deeper than thigh deep... maybe waste deep, but the combination between the wind and wetness can still be quite cool.. especially for your female partner. If I was wet wading with scuba booties or the like for footwear I'd stay in water thigh deep or less.

I agree with not walking into Baffin.. there are a couple of places near Rivera beach near the public pier, and one in the back next to Williams Landing at 1543.. it's right next to the boat ramp.. but if it's a hard south wind.. it's going to be tough to fish. There are maybe one or two other spots north of the county park as well... but you have to be savy using google earth looking for sea grass along the bank and find access to it as well...

good luck on your trip. ... oh, and like photobill mentioned, a trip with a guide while you are down would be highly recommended. I like Baffin Bay Rod and Gun and they have a lodge you can stay at and they have fished that area for 40 years.

Last edited by TroutSupport.com; 02/28/18 03:13 PM.

110% Money Back Guarantee -Tons of Testimonials!

Speckled Trout/Redfish Instruction & DVD's - FREE Preview

Like us on Facebook
Re: Visiting Texas to Fish [Re: Dukboy] #12653479 03/01/18 06:02 PM
G
Grinder55 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
G
troutsupport wrote:

Quote:
... do the Stingray Shuffle, I've seen stingrays on spring break...

Actually you can't make a hasty generalization regarding stingrays.

Some Texas bay's have quite a bit more stingray problem than others.

Matagorda Bay is prolly the worst for harboring stingrays.

The Rockport Bay system may be the best.

I wade fish year round, several times a week and do NOT have a problem with stingrays - even during the summer when they are prevalent in the Texas bays.

There are some techniques and tricks a wade angler can use, too long and lengthy to describe and type, but those techniques and tips/tricks for avoiding stingrays while wade fishing is on my WadeFish Rockport DVD.

Re: Visiting Texas to Fish [Re: Dukboy] #12663531 03/08/18 01:44 PM
D
Dukboy Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
D
went to buy license online and realized they are not printable like here in Maine. Can you buy them at Walmart or academy or do they need to be purchased somewhere special?

Re: Visiting Texas to Fish [Re: Dukboy] #12663626 03/08/18 02:50 PM
G
Grinder55 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
G
Yep Wal-Mart can take care of you.

FYI: fished Location 6 in the WadeFish Rockport book for ~ 1 hr Sunday evening ...

and, .. the fish are biting ... Tim caught this nice flounder while we were testing out the Chickenboy 4" soft plastic on the a 1/8 oz. TEXAS RATTLER with it's U-Lock - the plastic didn't tear or rip from any wire or lead prong on the jighead, and that's a good thing !!!

Last edited by Grinder55; 03/08/18 03:06 PM.
Re: Visiting Texas to Fish [Re: Dukboy] #12663630 03/08/18 02:51 PM
P
photofishin Offline
Angler
Angler
P
Originally Posted By: Dukboy
went to buy license online and realized they are not printable like here in Maine. Can you buy them at Walmart or academy or do they need to be purchased somewhere special?

You can buy them at Walmart and Academy here. You should be able to buy online and it will send the PDF to your email. Just keep that on your phone.

Re: Visiting Texas to Fish [Re: Dukboy] #12676898 03/17/18 11:25 AM
D
Dukboy Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
D
So far about 30 fish including hardhead catfish, trout, red drum, black drum, and sheepshead! All on shrimp. Thanks everyone, this is a really great state you have here.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide