Forums59
Topics1,039,187
Posts13,960,641
Members144,194
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Not another BOAT THREAD....opinions please.... [Re: crapicat] #12678112 03/18/18 04:34 PM
S
Springcrik Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Originally Posted By: crapicat
The thing about Lunds is that they put soo much floatation in the boat, it just wont sink...I have seen product testing demos, where they drill huge holes in the boat and take it for a ride...and a sit on the water, just to prove that point. Also, they have more expensive interior finish out than most of the others...I would prefer that they were welded construction, but my last two fishing boats have been riveted, and I never have to use the bilge..in fact I have to test the bilge occasionally just to make sure it still works and blow it out just to make sure the dirt Dobbers havent stopped it up....unlike my forays into glass boats, which made me appreciate automatic bilges, they were the most leakprone hulls I have ever owned.

^^^Spot-on
Big aluminum boats just aren't popular in Texas so there's not a lot of first-hand experience and information on them. I will tell you to not worry about the rivets on a Lund or other top-tier aluminum boat. I own a 1999 Lund Tyee 1950 and it has absolutely zero hull leaks. The previous owner used it mostly on Texoma and I have spent several weeks on Big Tex fishing for stripers. When I pull the drain plug (mandatory zebra mussell law) not even a few drops come out. The interior is still in remarkably good shape because of the materials used and workmanship. I'm not gonna bash the Tracker's welded construction because I've never owned one and don't know anybody who does. You might check WalleyeCentral.com which focuses on the Great Lakes and search Targa; there seems to be some welding and material quality issues with the Targas. But you can also google Lund's flagship model Baron and find people bitching about them. But there are a lot more complaints on the Targa. If I were in the market for a new boat, it would be Lund, Alumacraft, or Crestliner.

Lund Tyee Magnum 1950, Optimax200, Honda 10 kicker, Lowrance HDS7, Cannon DigiTroll IV, Cannon Mag20, Big Jon side planers. Chasin' wipers & stripers.
Re: Not another BOAT THREAD....opinions please.... [Re: Springcrik] #12678679 03/19/18 01:02 AM
C
CMFishes Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
C
You guys are making good and compelling arguments for the Lund. I am sure I will take a hard look again before it's all said and done and thanks for pointing a direction to research the Targa but I gotta feeling I'm not going to like what I find. Thanks!

Re: Not another BOAT THREAD....opinions please.... [Re: CMFishes] #12682801 03/21/18 04:00 PM
P
PMV Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
P
I have a 2017 Targa V18 WT with a 200 Verado. This is very dry riding boat I have been very happy with the performance of the boat.

Before my purchase I test drove almost all that you listed. Price was not the only thing i considered my budget was very healthy. Since i travel to fish all the time storage was a big consideration. It sucks loading and unloading the boat at the hotel.

Most of the boats are ordered in packages and the dealers are very resistant to change anything. I wanted the largest motor that could be installed on the boat. Next i wanted all the flooring to be vinyl for ease of cleaning. I had the trolling motor and the electronics replaced. I had David at shut up and fish install a ultrex, helix 12, and a 7 on the bow. I am thinking i might be installing a 9 on the bow to get the mega on the bow.
I can lock up to 17 rods in the rod lockers which was a must. The two live wells are handy as well. The boat is over 19ft so it is the same length as the 40th. It also comes with cover which is rain proof and is awesome when you store the boat or are traveling keeps the boat dry. It also comes with a Bimini top. I did have to purchase the pylon for skiing and the spare tire. The small swim deck with the ladder is easy to get in and out of the water.
When I asked the dealers to do the motor and vinyl upgrades it was met with a lot of resistance. We are having crappiefest on the 31st at Lake Fork. You will be able to see all kinds boats and how they are rigged. This might help you decide on what you want and how to rigged it.
Good luck with your purchase deal hard.

Re: Not another BOAT THREAD....opinions please.... [Re: CMFishes] #12682903 03/21/18 04:58 PM
red snappa Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I have personally fished out of the aforementioned Crestliner that Todd Box at Thermocline Lures owns a few hundred times. I can testify that Crestliner makes an outstanding boat. In very heavy winds and big waves, the Crestliner bay performs awesomely! You should definitely go by and see his. My next boat will be a Crestliner. 2cents

I like my fishing like a whino likes his wine!
http://thermoclinelures.com
http://advancedtaxidermy.com
Re: Not another BOAT THREAD....opinions please.... [Re: PMV] #12683049 03/21/18 06:29 PM
C
CMFishes Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
C
Thank you for the review on the Targa! A buddy of mine's dad up in Montana owns either the '16 or '17 same model and loves it. Also, that's a great idea about stopping by crappiefest. I will likely be at my buddy's ranch outside of Quitman that weekend so that would work out well. How shallow does that thing draft? Can you get back into the really skinny water?

Last edited by CMFishes; 03/21/18 06:30 PM.
Re: Not another BOAT THREAD....opinions please.... [Re: CMFishes] #12683088 03/21/18 06:50 PM
Notaguide Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
A boat isnt like a car or at least it shouldnt be. Why would you narrow down your list to just 3 boats? Did you know Lund and Crestliner are sister companies? Go drive the 1875 impact and tell me if those other boats even compete.

Re: Not another BOAT THREAD....opinions please.... [Re: Notaguide] #12683095 03/21/18 06:55 PM
C
CMFishes Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
C
It isn't necessarily...just getting a baseline in an information overloaded world. Thanks for the tip.

Signed,
Don't know what I don't know

Re: Not another BOAT THREAD....opinions please.... [Re: CMFishes] #12683103 03/21/18 07:04 PM
P
PMV Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
P
Depends of course on how many people are on the boat. Two adults you could get away with 14 inches of water. I carry a push pole just in case. Oh it is awesome when pulling a tube or skiing.

Re: Not another BOAT THREAD....opinions please.... [Re: CMFishes] #12684129 03/22/18 02:14 PM
Gamblinman Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Lund. Damn Fine Boat!!

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide