Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
High School Fishing Partner Expenses #12633733 02/18/18 01:35 PM
C130 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
How do those of you that boat captain for your own kids in high school fishing share expenses with their fishing partners? Do you split it 50/50 or pay for everything for both members such as the boating expenses, food, hotels, gas, launch fees? Trying to get an idea of whats fair and assuming money isnt an issue. If a kid cant afford it I think most all of us would be more than happy to fund the tournaments ourselves if capable.

Last edited by C130; 02/18/18 01:37 PM.

Bass Cat Eyra
Re: High School Fishing Partner Expenses [Re: C130] #12633746 02/18/18 01:55 PM
B
blacklab Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
I captain for 2 kids who are not mine. One is the son of a friend of a friend. I am sure that both families are financially secure enough to help with my expenses. I would never ask for or expect anything in return. What I do get are Texts & phone calls from the parents before & after the events Thanking me for taking the time to take these kids fishing. I also get thank you notes from the kids.

This is all of the repayment I need, knowing that there are still good people in this world trying to raise their kids right & to do the right thing

Re: High School Fishing Partner Expenses [Re: C130] #12634989 02/19/18 01:08 PM
Badbassdad Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I captain for my own 2 boys. we work really hard to secure sponsorship from local business and some big national businesses. these pay for entry fees jerseys and any expenses I wish to apply them to. but it all goes through our team account .

Re: High School Fishing Partner Expenses [Re: C130] #12635503 02/19/18 05:47 PM
C130 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
What about hotels, meals, etc? I think these things should be shared but its great if the boat captain volunteers to pay for all of this. But, it (just hotels and food) can add up to well over a thousand dollars if going to regionals and state. I dont think this should be the expectation for sure or a lot of boat captains would not volunteer. The fact they volunteer their time and boat, a huge expense, is great in itself. I guess it should all be coordinated at the beginning of the season. I know everyones is different and their financial situation is different also.

Last edited by C130; 02/19/18 06:19 PM.

Bass Cat Eyra
Re: High School Fishing Partner Expenses [Re: C130] #12635846 02/19/18 08:41 PM
T
Txduckhunter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
First, you need to approach it as two people/kids. Not your kid and another kid, the fact that it's your child doesn't or shouldn't factor into the equation.

They partnered up. By doing so, they entered into a partnership and expenses should be split between the two of them. The decisions (most at least) should be made by the two of them. There is no difference between them and an adult team as far as responsibility goes. I stress to the new guys looking to form a team that THIS is one of the most important decisions they will make in their team fishing career - bad partners will kill the mojo in the boat in a heartbeat, cause poor finishes and cost friendships. (This is a big reason why I'm not a fan of boyfriend/girlfriend teams. It's HS, they change BF and GF like underwear)

This year, our team raised money through sponsorships and pay entry fees and $40 gas card for the captains. For the teams that advance to Regionals and State, there will be a higher dollar figure on the gas card when it is issued.
Most of our tourneys are close enough that we don't get a room, we drive in the morning of. For Regionals and State (here I am talking about the 2 boys I captain), I've told them every year that they have to pay for gas and the room. It's never been a problem with the boys or the parents. We stay cheap and watch the fuel costs as much as possible.

Re: High School Fishing Partner Expenses [Re: C130] #12636821 02/20/18 05:02 AM
K
k.l.white Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
K
As the dad of a high school co-angler, I try to make sure my son carries his share of the expenses. Being new to the tournament scene, I was definitely unaware of the costs when he started fishing this year-his first. But the team coach brought up this exact subject at the 1st meeting before the season started. It was highly stressed to the co-anglers and teams that weren't captained by a parent that they shouldn't take the privilege of co-angling lightly. Everyone was told that tourney costs could average about $200 per event. And kids were also told to be considerate of their captains- things like bringing an extra sandwich and making sure the boat is clean at the end of the day.
Our school also does a gas card for captains who are non-parents. I think it's about $50. This money comes from the funds raised at the beginning of the year for jersey sponsorships. If your school (anyone, not just OP) isn't wearing jerseys, you're missing out on a huge opportunity to put money in your budget.

Re: High School Fishing Partner Expenses [Re: C130] #12637465 02/20/18 05:40 PM
C130 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
Thanks for all the information. The gas cards is something I hope our club is able to do next year and our plan this year is to do it for regionals and state. We helped with the jerseys but then I still have several that the anglers never picked up. We are going to require a small club membership fee next year to hopefully help eliminate those that arent really interested. Some have not fished a tournament. I want them to be involved in fishing if they want but they need to attempt to make it a priority to some extent.

Ive discussed the angler and boat captain responsibilities a lot. Sometimes I guess they need to be reminded again and discussed in more detail but overall I get great feedback. Im discussing the responsibilities of my sons partner with the parents and just wanted to get others ideas also. I think my expectations are right in line with the majority of other parents and boat captains. I was also just discussing this issue with some other parents and some are not fulfilling their responsibilities in my opinion.

Bass Cat Eyra
Re: High School Fishing Partner Expenses [Re: C130] #12637675 02/20/18 07:28 PM
Gilbert M. Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I captain a team, and theyre family takes care of expenses. I handle all the practice expenses because it only helps me get better also. For me its a mentoring thing that I like to do, but with the family helping out it makes all our time enjoyable and productive. I feel good watching the kids mature and learn as we go from year to year. I guess financial situations of boat captain and anglers family will dictate. Just be upfront with the parents because some are new to it and just dont know. I would still do it regardless of anglers situation, but use it as a teaching point to help them earn theyre way. Odd jobs, fund raisers, etc will only build the character these kids need to succeed in life.

Gilbert

GTB Outdoors LLC (veteran owned)
gmillerfishing@me.com
www.gtboutdoorstx.com
Re: High School Fishing Partner Expenses [Re: C130] #12637734 02/20/18 07:54 PM
C
Core Fishing Team Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
I captain a team that are not my own kids and I don't ask for a thing. They bring their rods and I furnish everything else. I'm going fishing anyway so the expense would be there regardless. Not saying I'm right, it's just what I do.

Re: High School Fishing Partner Expenses [Re: C130] #12637784 02/20/18 08:21 PM
C130 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
Im referring more to the hotels also, not necessarily gas, but think that should be considered. One of the things that came up was me not taking the kid pre fishing more. I didnt really think I needed to explain myself first of all when its my boat, Ive done a lot. My son and I only got to fish twice one month and just he and I went out. I work out of town so wanted to spend some time with him alone. Then, when we had asked several times we were told no.

Personally, I would never allow someone take my kid out fishing and pay for every penny. I dont care how much money they have I would do something for that person; gift certificate, gas card, whatever. Ive had guys take my son out fishing and not accept anything. I mailed them a gift. Im not saying thats the way everyone should be, its just the way I am. I also understand financial situations can come in to play. Thats what I think is great about high school fishing or taking kids fishing in general. It gives everyone an opportunity to do something they hopefully love where they might not otherwise have a chance. For those parents that can afford it they shouldnt take advantage of others either. I think the important part is to be clear on the expectations up front, something Ive learned from all of this.

I asked also not just because of my situation but others in our club. Its come up as discussion a few times and just like here theres different expectations. We certainly should not expect every boat captain to take on thousands of dollars per year. Its easy to get in to the, well this boat captain pays for everything so you should too mentality.

Last edited by C130; 02/20/18 08:32 PM.

Bass Cat Eyra
Re: High School Fishing Partner Expenses [Re: C130] #12639422 02/21/18 06:45 PM
J
jackwabbit Offline
Angler
Angler
J
Originally Posted By: C130
Im referring more to the hotels also, not necessarily gas, but think that should be considered. One of the things that came up was me not taking the kid pre fishing more. I didnt really think I needed to explain myself first of all when its my boat, Ive done a lot. My son and I only got to fish twice one month and just he and I went out. I work out of town so wanted to spend some time with him alone. Then, when we had asked several times we were told no.

Personally, I would never allow someone take my kid out fishing and pay for every penny. I dont care how much money they have I would do something for that person; gift certificate, gas card, whatever. Ive had guys take my son out fishing and not accept anything. I mailed them a gift. Im not saying thats the way everyone should be, its just the way I am. I also understand financial situations can come in to play. Thats what I think is great about high school fishing or taking kids fishing in general. It gives everyone an opportunity to do something they hopefully love where they might not otherwise have a chance. For those parents that can afford it they shouldnt take advantage of others either. I think the important part is to be clear on the expectations up front, something Ive learned from all of this.

I asked also not just because of my situation but others in our club. Its come up as discussion a few times and just like here theres different expectations. We certainly should not expect every boat captain to take on thousands of dollars per year. Its easy to get in to the, well this boat captain pays for everything so you should too mentality.

Our team pays for hotels, through fundraisers, so we dont incur that cost. When we have a meeting its made clear the expectations from the team mates they pay 40.00 each per day now my sons co has not paid a dime and has not offered. I drew the line at him throwing my ruler overboard and made him replace it. I dont necessarily know that I would accept but it would be nice if it was offered.

Re: High School Fishing Partner Expenses [Re: jackwabbit] #12669208 03/12/18 07:57 PM
M
Mike Keenan Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
M
I tell you what, my experience helping a local high school team (not Sanger) two kids not mine, has kind of made me very very bitter. Maybe Im approaching this the wrong way but maybe its the way I was raised. I was raised to help out with fuel, food and drinks. If I couldnt afford to pay I did not play. These two kids, spend more time on their phones and playing grab arse in the boat.
I speak to the parents and they look at me like Im stupid because Im asking them to help out with finances, im not independently wealthy like most of you I guess? Im not saying cover my entire fuel bill but do something.

Am I asking too much? Or is that what todays generation has come to? Back in the late 80s if I wanted to go fishing, I had to pitch in money or I sat st home. I had a job in high school

R.I.P. Mike "pappy" "broken rod" Green born 07-16-62 on to better fishing 06-10-08.
www.basscat.com

Re: High School Fishing Partner Expenses [Re: Mike Keenan] #12669235 03/12/18 08:17 PM
Walls Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: Mike Keenan
I tell you what, my experience helping a local high school team (not Sanger) two kids not mine, has kind of made me very very bitter. Maybe Im approaching this the wrong way but maybe its the way I was raised. I was raised to help out with fuel, food and drinks. If I couldnt afford to pay I did not play. These two kids, spend more time on their phones and playing grab arse in the boat.
I speak to the parents and they look at me like Im stupid because Im asking them to help out with finances, im not independently wealthy like most of you I guess? Im not saying cover my entire fuel bill but do something.

Am I asking too much? Or is that what todays generation has come to? Back in the late 80s if I wanted to go fishing, I had to pitch in money or I sat st home. I had a job in high school

Hate to hear that Mike. The boys (not mine) I captain always bring the drinks, tacos, & ice. Haven't had either one of them even touch their phone while fishing (even prefishing). They wipe down the boat after every trip and ask what else I'd like for them to do before they go. The parents have been supportive every trip with a gift card (wally usually & I use it for fuel) and the occasional bottle of spirits/beer for me on my own time. I don't know that I really set any expectation with the parents, but I absolutely did with the boys and what I expected of them from the start-and they have delivered. Been a very good experience for me that I have enjoyed.

Re: High School Fishing Partner Expenses [Re: Walls] #12674037 03/15/18 03:59 PM
M
Mike Keenan Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
M
Yea its just the opposite for me.

R.I.P. Mike "pappy" "broken rod" Green born 07-16-62 on to better fishing 06-10-08.
www.basscat.com

Re: High School Fishing Partner Expenses [Re: Mike Keenan] #12674137 03/15/18 04:53 PM
T
Txduckhunter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: Mike Keenan

The problem, as I see it, is that you didn't make your wishes/needs known from the beginning. I try to be upfront with anyone who wishes to go and outline what their responsabilities are before we ever leave the parking lot to go. The two I have now usually have the boat wiped down, strapped down and gear stowed while I'm still grab-assin with folks in the parking lot.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide