Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Lake Wright Patman [Re: ConwayFishy] #12671200 03/13/18 09:21 PM
R
rcopester Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
Went to the spillway yesterday evening and they had the gates wide open. Might try to put the boat in down there on Saturday.

Re: Lake Wright Patman [Re: ConwayFishy] #12671812 03/14/18 10:44 AM
C
ConwayFishy Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
Lake is on a very, very...I mean very slow fall right now. Spoke with a Warden friend of mine yesterday who said that as soon as the Red River is at a reasonable height in and around the Shreveport area, they will really open the gates up and bring the lake down. It could be quite some time before we see the lake at even 10' high...who knows how long before it's at normal pool.

To be honest, I think the lake fishes great when it's in the 230's. Water is well into the bank brush and trees making cat fishing easy and fun.

Dad, Husband and the Proudest Member of the Fightin' Aggie Class of 2008
Re: Lake Wright Patman [Re: rcopester] #12671813 03/14/18 10:45 AM
C
ConwayFishy Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
You're braver than I am. I don't like fighting that current. Let us know how you do! I bet they are catching some crappie down there.

Any news on any other ramps on the lake?

Re: Lake Wright Patman [Re: ConwayFishy] #12672213 03/14/18 03:56 PM
R
rcopester Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
There was only one boat down there Monday that I saw. I haven't heard anything about the ramps on the main lake.

Last edited by rcopester; 03/14/18 03:56 PM.
Re: Lake Wright Patman [Re: ConwayFishy] #12673551 03/15/18 12:05 PM
C
ConwayFishy Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
Lake is down half a foot, so even if ramp one is closed it should be open within a week. Just want to be able to get on the lake when things get good in April.

Re: Lake Wright Patman [Re: ConwayFishy] #12673827 03/15/18 02:25 PM
R
rcopester Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
I'm ready to get out on the main lake also. I need to create some crappie holes.

Re: Lake Wright Patman [Re: ConwayFishy] #12676884 03/17/18 11:00 AM
C
ConwayFishy Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
Water is still falling and word is that ramp one is open at Piney Point. It's just dangerous getting in.

At this rate, the lake should be fishable by April unless this weekend's forecast brings more than bargained for. I was looking at historical data for the lake and it appears that floods like this happen every 4-6 years. This in a minor one compared to past years. Apparently the lake came within 3 feet of the emergency spillway one time.

Re: Lake Wright Patman [Re: ConwayFishy] #12682351 03/21/18 11:50 AM
C
ConwayFishy Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
Lake is on the steady fall right now with no rain forecast for the rest of this week. Next week looks to be rainy but if its not too bad the lake should continue to come down at a reasonable rate. I'm still thinking sometime in April many ramps will reopen and fishing will pick up.

Re: Lake Wright Patman [Re: ConwayFishy] #12683959 03/22/18 12:49 PM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: ConwayFishy
Water is still falling and word is that ramp one is open at Piney Point. It's just dangerous getting in.

At this rate, the lake should be fishable by April unless this weekend's forecast brings more than bargained for. I was looking at historical data for the lake and it appears that floods like this happen every 4-6 years. This in a minor one compared to past years. Apparently the lake came within 3 feet of the emergency spillway one time.

I grew up around that lake, seems every time the lake would flood, we spent a ton of time channel cat fishing in the channels/cuts just off the flooded timber, as soon as it was safe to get on the lake...we always had to be aware of floating debris, though....back then the timber stuck out of the water pretty high...when we could see the timber, we chunked minnows beside them, for the crappie...

Re: Lake Wright Patman [Re: crapicat] #12685344 03/23/18 01:53 AM
C
ConwayFishy Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
Originally Posted By: crapicat

I grew up around that lake, seems every time the lake would flood, we spent a ton of time channel cat fishing in the channels/cuts just off the flooded timber, as soon as it was safe to get on the lake...we always had to be aware of floating debris, though....back then the timber stuck out of the water pretty high...when we could see the timber, we chunked minnows beside them, for the crappie...

I'm going to take a few days off next week and do just that. Going to get in the trees around the main lake where the pockets normally are and a few creeks run in. Going to have catfish and crappie bait on hand and try them both. Will let you know how I do.

Re: Lake Wright Patman [Re: ConwayFishy] #12688180 03/25/18 12:31 PM
C
ConwayFishy Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
Went to ramp one yesterday and there were only two boats launched. So on a Saturday in the spring this lake had a total of two boats on it during a peak time. It would be dicey getting in, but if you were all the way trimmed up shouldn't be an issue. Cat fishing would be absolutely insane in the trees right now if you're into that and dont mind a dicey boat launch. Lake fished great when it's in the 230's. It's still sitting at 245 right now so we are going to need a miracle to get it there by April.

Went to the spillway yesterday and had water rolling. Dont think they can open the gates any further.

Re: Lake Wright Patman [Re: ConwayFishy] #12690904 03/27/18 12:05 PM
C
ConwayFishy Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
Well just as things start to look promising for some awesome April and May fishing on this lake, the weather is calling for 3-5 inches of rain for the entire region over the next three days. I expect the water to rise considerably as the ground around these parts is already beyond saturated from February rains. If you just so happen to make it out on Wright Patman, please post your results here!

On the bright side, with all this fresh water and flooding, the spawn should be fantastic this year. Perhaps it will increase the numbers of fish in this lake over the years to come. Even though numbers aren't really a problem to begin with.

Re: Lake Wright Patman [Re: ConwayFishy] #12702403 04/04/18 11:26 AM
C
ConwayFishy Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
The conservation pool was just adjusted for summertime conditions. With the adjustment, water level now shows to be 17 feet high. From experience I can tell you that if the lake drops another 6-8 feet, the fishing is will be incredible.

Talked to an old timer who fishes the lake on the reg. He went out on Monday before this cold front and says that he limited on catfish in an hour fishing in the trees off the main lake. All channel cat. Also caught 4 crappie mixed in there. 8-10 feet of water.

Anyone else been out or at least tried?

JR

Re: Lake Wright Patman [Re: ConwayFishy] #12703762 04/05/18 03:25 AM
R
Ricky Bobby Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
Anybody know how the bass fishing has been?

Re: Lake Wright Patman [Re: ConwayFishy] #12708123 04/08/18 05:03 PM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: crapicat

I'm going to take a few days off next week and do just that. Going to get in the trees around the main lake where the pockets normally are and a few creeks run in. Going to have catfish and crappie bait on hand and try them both. Will let you know how I do.

Find somw water with current flow...don’t need much, do need some though...

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide