Print Thread
Applying Scent #12670217 03/13/18 12:53 PM
H
Hog Jaw Online Content OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Online Content
TFF Team Angler
H
ShoeMaker Question: How to Scent your plastic without applying on Yourself / Boat

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Applying Scent [Re: Hog Jaw] #12670307 03/13/18 01:45 PM
D
DillonCan'tFish Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
In a small ZipLoc bag. Put your scent product in the bag prior to getting on the water. When you want to apply, lay your bait in the bag and use your hand outside of the bag to work the bait around. When you're done, remove your lure and seal the bag up. Good to go.

Re: Applying Scent [Re: DillonCan'tFish] #12670405 03/13/18 02:23 PM
bsouth401 Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: dillon_SWFA
In a small ZipLoc bag. Put your scent product in the bag prior to getting on the water. When you want to apply, lay your bait in the bag and use your hand outside of the bag to work the bait around. When you're done, remove your lure and seal the bag up. Good to go.

That's the way I do it too. I also just put it in the bag of plastic that I'm using, but if you leave the scent in the bag of plastics for a long period of time it breaks the plastic baits down some. If you're going through the bag of plastics relatively quickly within a day or three you should be OK.

Brian, Pake and Porter South
www.dobynsrods.com
www.santonelures.com
Re: Applying Scent [Re: Hog Jaw] #12670511 03/13/18 03:08 PM
Donald Harper Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
There are some extremes that I do to get my baits ready to fish the next day.
- I want the bait leaving a trail of scent when fished.
- I use plastic bags to enclose my Spook, Crankbait and Spinnerbait over night. The lure is tied on the rod ready to fish. Dose the bait inside the bag then seal the bag closed and attached to the rod handle with a wide rubber band. Save the bag to continue to dose the bait during the fishing time. I purchase 4 mil. bags for this.
- The fastest way is to apply it by hand when the bait needs it about every hour then use hand sanitizer. Keeping a hand towel attached to the pole seat helps with this.

When you use Pure Extracts it will not break your plastics down. I have bags of baits hanging in the shop that are 20 years old all dosed and they get more when needed. Pure Extracts also works really well if you are having someone to hand pour your plastics. Again with no additives it will be much easier to use in hand pours to get that combination right.

Living Rubber skirts is a different ball game. I want them to last for the life of the jig or spinner bait. This takes some effort.
- After fishing all day and applying scent all day long it is more than the living rubber will tolerate.
- Living Rubber will become gummy if not taken care of.
- I remove the trailer which is a different kind of rubber so there is no reaction at the end of each day.
- When the fishing trip is over wash the bait in Dawn Dish Soap then rinse in warm water.
- Let the bait air dry completely.
- Apply Baby Power and store away in air tight binder, keeping the bait away from all other silicone and plastic baits.
- Next fishing trip tie it on, rinse off the Baby Power and apply the scent again leaving it in the bag over night. Dose it often during your fishing day.
- Living Rubber absorbs the scent. Silicone skirts does not and scent has to be applied more often.
- Make sure your favorite baits have hand died skirts so the rubber skirt ring does not fail. That rubber does not like continued use of scent, sun and just general over time use. Those rings deteriorate quickly.

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Re: Applying Scent [Re: Hog Jaw] #12670724 03/13/18 04:58 PM
T
Thad Rains Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
T
If I plan on using the baits most of the day, I put it directly in the bag that it came in and fish out of it. If only a few baits are needed, do the zip lock bag deal for all that are needed. Hope this helps.

Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains

Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide