Forums59
Topics1,038,967
Posts13,956,606
Members144,184
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: trade school certificate versus college degree? [Re: joebass2] #12667543 03/11/18 04:33 PM
RedRanger Online Content
burro desagradable
Online Content
burro desagradable
Originally Posted By: joebass2
Originally Posted By: RedRanger
What about IT (Information Technology).

Sure seems the USA has a huge need for these guys, they are importing people from India and Pakistan all the time. I see them living in $300K to $500K houses and they tend to be a one worker family and the wife stays home.

I don't think any college is needed for that

Don't think those are your run of the mill IT guys. My company was replacing $80k/year Americans with the Indians and Pakistanis, and I can promise you they didn't replace the Americans with guys that were paid more.

Per rules set by USCIS, they have to pay H1B workers the prevailing wages of US workers per rules of the work visas.

https://www.dol.gov/whd/immigration/h1b.htm

This is new with USCIS, they are the one whom issue all visas to the USA

https://www.uscis.gov/legal-resources/buy-american-hire-american-putting-american-workers-first

Re: trade school certificate versus college degree? [Re: SenkoSam] #12667553 03/11/18 04:42 PM
K
KingwoodCat Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
Obviously if you are working in a trade, the certificate from the trade school would be the way to go. Not so if you want to be a brain surgeon.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a look at the American Indian".

Henry Ford
Re: trade school certificate versus college degree? [Re: SenkoSam] #12667559 03/11/18 04:47 PM
RedRanger Online Content
burro desagradable
Online Content
burro desagradable
Lawyer, some states still don't require a college degree.

Just need to be able to pass the bar

Re: trade school certificate versus college degree? [Re: RedRanger] #12667611 03/11/18 05:33 PM
T
TR176 Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
T
I always like the Registered Nurse plan.

2 years at a community college and get an associates degree and sit for you NCLEX exam, pass it and become a RN.

Go anywhere in the USA and work three 12 hour shift per week and your off 4 days per week, and most hospitals let you self schedule

This is true except the larger health care organizations are not even interviewing unless the RN has a BSN.
While many graduate with ADN they are almost all on dual tract bridge to BSN programs. Self scheduling also
has a lot of requirements a new grad will see lot of holidays and weekends. Looking forward there will be in the future a large demand in this field. To travel, like to nice ocean front towns, will require a lot of desirable experience. There is an ongoing demand for NPs, CRNAs, not to mention those trained in management. These jobs pay very attractive salaries. Check out what a CRNA or critical care NP makes. The job openings are there and the chance for making a very nice income are there.

Re: trade school certificate versus college degree? [Re: TR176] #12667660 03/11/18 06:23 PM
O
Oldrabbit Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
O
Originally Posted By: TR176
I always like the Registered Nurse plan.

2 years at a community college and get an associates degree and sit for you NCLEX exam, pass it and become a RN.

Go anywhere in the USA and work three 12 hour shift per week and your off 4 days per week, and most hospitals let you self schedule

This is true except the larger health care organizations are not even interviewing unless the RN has a BSN.
While many graduate with ADN they are almost all on dual tract bridge to BSN programs. Self scheduling also
has a lot of requirements a new grad will see lot of holidays and weekends. Looking forward there will be in the future a large demand in this field. To travel, like to nice ocean front towns, will require a lot of desirable experience. There is an ongoing demand for NPs, CRNAs, not to mention those trained in management. These jobs pay very attractive salaries. Check out what a CRNA or critical care NP makes. The job openings are there and the chance for making a very nice income are there.

One of my daughter in laws has a nursing degree from Baylor. Just the university name is a big deal. She is Chemo Certified and makes a good living. I think she is working on her Masters or getting ready to start it.

Re: trade school certificate versus college degree? [Re: SenkoSam] #12667723 03/11/18 07:08 PM
K
ko bass attack 27 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
K
In the oilfield pump and engine mechanics are hard to find. My company offers over $40 an hour with great benefits, electronic instrumentation is another great wide open field. Plant operations can be a good trade and Sr. Plant Operators can easily make in excess of $150,000 a yr.

Re: trade school certificate versus college degree? [Re: SenkoSam] #12667799 03/11/18 08:42 PM
B
beartrap Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
B
did both...worked in the printing business as cameraman,stripper,platemaker at night while I went to college and by time I got out of school I had made journeyman...was making good money and stayed in printing business for another couple years but I could see there was a ceiling on what I could make in printing trades so I got out and worked in market research (A.C.Nielson Co.) for many years.....

Re: trade school certificate versus college degree? [Re: RedRanger] #12669277 03/12/18 08:40 PM
J
joebass2 Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
J

Sure seems the USA has a huge need for these guys, they are importing people from India and Pakistan all the time. I see them living in $300K to $500K houses and they tend to be a one worker family and the wife stays home.

Don't think those are your run of the mill IT guys. My company was replacing $80k/year Americans with the Indians and Pakistanis, and I can promise you they didn't replace the Americans with guys that were paid more.

Per rules set by USCIS, they have to pay H1B workers the prevailing wages of US workers per rules of the work visas.

https://www.uscis.gov/legal-resources/buy-american-hire-american-putting-american-workers-first

Still don't think the ones living in 300-500k houses are typical IT guys that are making it on salary alone. Corporate IT guys, the coders, systems, engineers, etc., are maxed at 90-100k right now, at least in the industry I was in.

Re: trade school certificate versus college degree? [Re: joebass2] #12669393 03/12/18 09:48 PM
RedRanger Online Content
burro desagradable
Online Content
burro desagradable

Still don't think the ones living in 300-500k houses are typical IT guys that are making it on salary alone. Corporate IT guys, the coders, systems, engineers, etc., are maxed at 90-100k right now, at least in the industry I was in.

Honestly I don't know, Not in the industry. There are many Patels in the my area, and I am 100% sure they came here on H1B visa, and not born here or raised here.

Re: trade school certificate versus college degree? [Re: SenkoSam] #12669530 03/12/18 11:27 PM
F
franchi Offline
Angler
Angler
F
I have 30 years with a major oil refinery. Instrumentation/ electrical/ analyzer all at different times in my career. . Very high demand for analyzers. Light work, Most technical of the three. Highest paying as a contractor. Only down side. Very little overtime. Instrumentation second most technical. Still a high demand. Tons of overtime. down side. Fair amount of climbing. Minorities are breaking into this field so a major refinery will higher a minority before white. Just a fact. Least skillful and least demanding is electrical. There are some more technical sides to electrical but it’s a smaller group of people. If you like overtime you can almost double your salary to $150,000 a year in a refinery

A big plus with these trades is working in different industries. I used to work for a power plant, then a paper mill before refinery

Last edited by franchi; 03/12/18 11:29 PM.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide