Don, could you help me understand why your baits are so different and look so different? Have watched your posts and have noticed there are some very different visual things about your baits you make. Please expand. Thanks very much
I have 3 different baits that are used for 3 different applications.
- I will put big Eyes on two of those as I have seen big Bass work to the head, look the bait in the eye then attack it. You can't pull a bait fast enough to take it away from Her. These are baits for mid-range applications around grass and the last bushes on a brush line.
- The shallow water bait is a reaction strike bait for heavy cover. The head I prefer for this application is a Bullet head. Eyes are not really necessary in and around extreme heavy ambush cover.
- The hook is a 30 degree rise wide gap.
- The blade has the turned up nose for the quicker response of the blade to get into motion. I also like a flat blade to mimic the fleeing action of the Crayfish as it is slower and not so erratic. Bass do not like dealing with a Crayfish that is very aggressive.
- The Crayfish baits are fished entirely different as the fleeing Crayfish Mimic. This head carries a Weed Guard. Two up and down strokes of the rod, then let the bait fall to the bottom. Drag the bait about 3 feet slowly as a Crayfish will back itself up against something for protection. This is when the strike takes place.
- Skirts are Living rubber and of course different colors for each of the above techniques.
- Blades can be painted as the one pictured on the Crayfish bait to match the Prayfish or Crayfish that it represents. A reaction blade has lots of flash for shallow water and heavy cover.
- The Shallow water Bullet Heads get two split rings which are not pictured. This gives the bait the best Wobble and not the quick vibration that the others have. That line tie on the nose of the jig is Vertical; but not pictured.
- I also have different size and shapes of snaps for the blades which enhances the action and of course gives added strength for the heavy cover baits.
Keep in mind Frank that my work is Custom; so I can change anything a customer wants from the paint/flake, skirts, color of blade and shape of the head.