texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,030
TexDawg 119,792
Bigbob_FTW 95,334
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,356
Mark Perry 72,490
Derek 🐝 68,322
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,918
Posts13,955,334
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
New electronics ?? #12661478 03/07/18 01:58 AM
B
bigdiastema Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
I may be about to buy a boat that is in serious need of electronics. I want to add one on the console with map ability and one on the bow that may or may not have all those capabilities. I'm not up to date on electronics. Im not particular to one brand or another, but would like to know what others recommend after use. I will be fishing new to me lakes and want to be able to now where I am and be able to mark places I want to come back to. I also want to be able to see what I'm fishing over when I'm on the casting deck. Thanks in advance.

Re: New electronics ?? [Re: bigdiastema] #12661530 03/07/18 02:27 AM
M
Mr. Incredible Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
Im no expert so this is only an opinion and youre going to hear it time and again. Get the biggest and best you can afford. I had Lowrance on my boat and just switched to Hummingbird. I bought two 10 Mega units. Down imaging for the bow and side imaging for the console. The console has the map card and the two are networked together so I can see way points from the bow. The images are so clear I wonder why I waited so long to get them. Its really helpful to be able to see whats around and under you. Its made my fishing more enjoyable too. I wont speak badly about the Lowrance units - I just decided for me that the Birds were what I wanted.

Re: New electronics ?? [Re: Mr. Incredible] #12661557 03/07/18 02:40 AM
B
bigdiastema Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
Originally Posted By: Mr. Incredible
Im no expert so this is only an opinion and youre going to hear it time and again. Get the biggest and best you can afford. I had Lowrance on my boat and just switched to Hummingbird. I bought two 10 Mega units. Down imaging for the bow and side imaging for the console. The console has the map card and the two are networked together so I can see way points from the bow. The images are so clear I wonder why I waited so long to get them. Its really helpful to be able to see whats around and under you. Its made my fishing more enjoyable too. I wont speak badly about the Lowrance units - I just decided for me that the Birds were what I wanted.

Thanks. Thats exactly what I was looking for. I want to be able to mark some spots and make fishing more enjoyable. I don't want to get on the water and not know what I'm fishing and then just be discouraged.

Re: New electronics ?? [Re: bigdiastema] #12661668 03/07/18 04:03 AM
B
Bobby Milam Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Buy the biggest screen you can afford. Preferably with network capable units. What is your budget and do you want new? Can find some good deals on the Gen 1 Helix units used right now. In the last 4 years I have upgraded from 5" to 7" to now I have a Helix 10 DI on the bow and a 12 SI on the console. It is night and day between each unit that I progressed to. I bought right before the Mega units came out. Even so, I am more than satisfied with my Gen 1 Helix units. They are brighter than older units which helps on those sunny days. The resolution of the screens are great. So much better having the extra screen size.

While you are doing it, I'd also recommend that you hire a reputable electronics guide to tune them up and teach you how to operate them. It isn't that expensive and will cut your learning curve way down. It can be discouraging to use newer technology and not know how to get the most out of it.

Go to Bass Pro and play with their display units to decide.

Re: New electronics ?? [Re: bigdiastema] #12662610 03/07/18 08:11 PM
Rob Jasper Lowrance Pro-Staff Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
If you live close to the Bass Pro Grapevine, they have great selection of H-Bird, Lowarance and Garmin to look at.
Get them to show you the new Fish Reveal that Lowrance is introducing. I have been running this new fish reveal and it is awesome.

Rob Jasper
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide