Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Spine surgery fusing L5 S1? #12660794 03/06/18 05:41 PM
B
Bob Davis Online Content OP
Bunkeroid Bob
OP Online Content
Bunkeroid Bob
B
Well, I scheduled to have this done in May. Anyone ever have a TLIF fuse done? I have been having left hip and knee pain after walking a lot or climbing stairs for about a year. One Hip doctor was ready to change out my hip. A second opinion with a more reputable surgeon said No its not your hip that is bad it is your spinal nerve pinched. Sent me to a good spine guy and he had be get some steroid shots in a very localized spot. That fixed me but only for a few weeks. I had two shots and they both helped but even after therapy (6 weeks, once a week), it didn't fix it. I am not in any pain just sitting or most normal activity but if I climb some stairs or walk a lot, it barks at me. I don't want to go downhill from here so I am opting to get it fixed. What say ye?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Re: Spine surgery fusing L5 S1? [Re: Bob Davis] #12660805 03/06/18 05:47 PM
fouzman Offline
Methuselah
Methuselah
I'd ask about a Laminectomy before doing the fusion. It may provide all the relief you need.

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out" - Zachary Troy Schrah - a young man with vision far beyond his years.
Re: Spine surgery fusing L5 S1? [Re: fouzman] #12660823 03/06/18 05:52 PM
B
Bunkeroid Bob
OP Online Content
Bunkeroid Bob
B
Originally Posted By: fouzman
I'd ask about a Laminectomy before doing the fusion. It may provide all the relief you need.

Great advice, thank you. I asked him that in a round about way. I said can't you just scrape off the bone spur area. He said he could but the percentage of success was not that good since they have to take out some butterfly looking bone structure to get to the area. Apparently I cracked my tailbone and L5 when I as a kid sometime or other. When it healed it made a "step" and this bone step then encroached on the spinal nerve channels. I'm 64 and don't want to become more of a limper than I am now. Walking and being active is my road to longevity I think. I dunno. Good question though.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Re: Spine surgery fusing L5 S1? [Re: Bob Davis] #12660842 03/06/18 06:01 PM
Hard Rain Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
Are you dealing with an orthopedic or neurologist? I had a diskectomy in 1990 after many months of major sciatic pain in my left leg. Very easy procedure a Neurosurgeon removed the hearniated part of the disc and I have been good since. I know some that had the full fusion procedure and they said their results were not as good but that was 1990 so take it for what its worth but like I say I have been good since.

Re: Spine surgery fusing L5 S1? [Re: Bob Davis] #12660845 03/06/18 06:01 PM
fouzman Offline
Methuselah
Methuselah
My Neurosurgeon in Tyler, Dr. Detwiler, told me to ride the injections as long as they worked. Once I couldn't stand the pain any longer, come back and he'll do a Laminectomy. He said only after all that could he recommend spinal fusion. I have no discs left in my neck, Bob. The pain from pinched nerves and muscle spasms got so bad four years ago, I just wanted relief! One Neuro here said fusion, 3 or four of them which would have left me disabled. So I went to Dr. Detwiler for a second opinion. After 3 sets of 3 injections between the bottom three vertebrae in my neck, 6 weeks apart, the excruciating pain finally went away. I've been virtually pain free now for about 4 years, but I'm starting to have pain issues again, so I'll probably be getting the injections again, soon.

Also, what about a synthetic disc? They're not approved for use in the cervical vertebrae but are for lumbar surgeries.

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out" - Zachary Troy Schrah - a young man with vision far beyond his years.
Re: Spine surgery fusing L5 S1? [Re: fouzman] #12660856 03/06/18 06:05 PM
Der Vorsteher Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru

I was thinking a headectomy

Team Wolfs
Re: Spine surgery fusing L5 S1? [Re: Bob Davis] #12660860 03/06/18 06:05 PM
fouzman Offline
Methuselah
Methuselah
I considered it roflmao

Re: Spine surgery fusing L5 S1? [Re: fouzman] #12660864 03/06/18 06:06 PM
BlueNitro Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
My Neurosurgeon in Tyler, Dr. Detwiler, told me to ride the injections as long as they worked. Once I couldn't stand the pain any longer, come back and he'll do a Laminectomy. He said only after all that could he recommend spinal fusion. I have no discs left in my neck, Bob. The pain from pinched nerves and muscle spasms got so bad four years ago, I just wanted relief! One Neuro here said fusion, 3 or four of them which would have left me disabled. So I went to Dr. Detwiler for a second opinion. After 3 sets of 3 injections between the bottom three vertebrae in my neck, 6 weeks apart, the excruciating pain finally went away. I've been virtually pain free now for about 4 years, but I'm starting to have pain issues again, so I'll probably be getting the injections again, soon.

Also, what about a synthetic disc? They're not approved for use in the cervical vertebrae but are for lumbar surgeries.

Watch those steroid shots Fouz, I have had a lot of Doctors tell me that they are not good for you in the long term.

LiftSaver Trolling Motor Mounting Bracket - Patent Pending and LiftSaver Transducer Pole Mount
www.liftsavertmmount.com
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Works with MG Xi5, Xi3 and MK Terrova, Ulterra, PD V2 and Riptides as well.

Re: Spine surgery fusing L5 S1? [Re: Bob Davis] #12660870 03/06/18 06:08 PM
S
soggybottom Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
that would scare me. Steve Kerrs went bad.

pledge= fishstick
Re: Spine surgery fusing L5 S1? [Re: BlueNitro] #12660873 03/06/18 06:10 PM
Der Vorsteher Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: BlueNitro

Watch those steroid shots Fouz, I have had a lot of Doctors tell me that they are not good for you in the long term.

Nothing really is. I say do what makes the most sense for you.

Team Wolfs
Re: Spine surgery fusing L5 S1? [Re: Bob Davis] #12660875 03/06/18 06:12 PM
BlueNitro Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Bob, I have major issues in my lower back and every Doctor will tell you to try what ever you can until nothing works before you do a fusion. Some say to prolong so they can get better procedures. Some say they are risky (for me anyway because mine comes and goes). Some say that it puts too much stress on the joint above the fusion and those would need fusions over time (my Mom has had three back fusions). You will know it is time to do yours when you reach that point.

Best of luck to you.

LiftSaver Trolling Motor Mounting Bracket - Patent Pending and LiftSaver Transducer Pole Mount
www.liftsavertmmount.com
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Works with MG Xi5, Xi3 and MK Terrova, Ulterra, PD V2 and Riptides as well.

Re: Spine surgery fusing L5 S1? [Re: Bob Davis] #12660891 03/06/18 06:18 PM
G
grandpa75672 Offline
G
I have five cervical vertebrae fused.
The first four were done in 1966 and the procedure had not existed before it was devised by the doctors to patch me bad together. The fifth one occur fed n 2001 and was the use of a torture devise called a halo.
In the 80s I was advised to have three lower back vertebrae fused but I decided to pass. Thirty years later I wish I had gone along with the surgery.
I guess this doesn't help much but I know what you are going through.

It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.... W.C.Fields

I know a little about a lot of things but not a whole lot about anything....CGD
Re: Spine surgery fusing L5 S1? [Re: Bob Davis] #12660892 03/06/18 06:19 PM
Ted Martin Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Bob i have had a l5/s1 fusion.
PM me if you want any info.

Re: Spine surgery fusing L5 S1? [Re: fouzman] #12660903 03/06/18 06:35 PM
B
Bunkeroid Bob
OP Online Content
Bunkeroid Bob
B

Yes, it does include a synthetic disc. Looked like teflon or something. Mine is lumbar for sure. I've had two Steroid injections into the area on my left side and they both helped but only for 3 weeks or so. The MRI and the xrays both show the problem I think pretty clear. But I'm not a Doctor. These doctors at the Carrell Clinic in Dallas all seem to be the cream of the crop, mine is Dr. Andrew Clavenna and the hip guy there that told me it doesn't look like a hip issue is Dr. Paul Peters. Clavenna seems to be on top of his game. I hope this surgery finally gets me back up to walking and climbing stairs more, I could use the exercise. Thanks for the info Fouz.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Re: Spine surgery fusing L5 S1? [Re: grandpa75672] #12660908 03/06/18 06:37 PM
B
Bunkeroid Bob
OP Online Content
Bunkeroid Bob
B
Originally Posted By: grandpa75672
I have five cervical vertebrae fused.
The first four were done in 1966 and the procedure had not existed before it was devised by the doctors to patch me bad together. The fifth one occur fed n 2001 and was the use of a torture devise called a halo.
In the 80s I was advised to have three lower back vertebrae fused but I decided to pass. Thirty years later I wish I had gone along with the surgery.
I guess this doesn't help much but I know what you are going through.

Thanks for the info, it is interesting to hear. I wish you well.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide