Print Thread
Spawn question #12658298 03/05/18 01:33 AM
F
Freecobasser Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
F
When fishing on a unfamiliar lake, what areas do you tend to concentrate on when looking for spawning bass?

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Spawn question [Re: Freecobasser] #12658378 03/05/18 02:26 AM
J
JD/76708 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J
Start by looking for shallow flats with cover (stumps, grass, laydowns...) that are near deeper water or close to a creek or river channel, especially near a channel swing...cleaner water helps to see things, but isn't absolutely necessary....and water temps to be above 60-62* (again, not always necessary)...

[img]http://s1190.photobucket.com/albums/z451...ser_media_share[/img]
We all stumble and make mistakes. When you stumble, do you want your brother to help knock you down or to help set you back on your feet?
JD
PB: 8.4 (Lake Fork)
Psalms 83:18 (Our God has a name)
Matthew 24:14, 44
Re: Spawn question [Re: Freecobasser] #12658386 03/05/18 02:31 AM
S
SteezMacQueen Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted By: Freecobasser
When fishing on a unfamiliar lake, what areas do you tend to concentrate on when looking for spawning bass?
red lights and hotels.

......oh wait.....

What the other poster said, but I'll add that in some lakes, water clarity is gonna determine quite a bit too. Sunlight penetration has a lot to do with depth that the fish will spawn in, as well.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Spawn question [Re: Freecobasser] #12658388 03/05/18 02:32 AM
921 Phoenix Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
where the other boats are LOL

Re: Spawn question [Re: Freecobasser] #12658437 03/05/18 03:05 AM
Donald Harper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Do your mapping work. Look for the areas in 20 ft. of water with the most irregular contours which will be where the fish live. Move to the closes flat to that irregular feature. These are the spots that the huge bass will spawn as deep as possible on.
- Look for the bends in the creek.
- Look for the inside bends of creeks.
- Fish the inside flat between two creeks that fork.
- Look for the heaviest cover that these spots offer.
- Target the largest hardwoods on any shoreline protrusions.
- Fish the lip of the creek channel with big wood.
- Find humps on the lip of the main channel during low water times. This is where dredging took place before the lake was impounded to prevent flooding and will be found near the sharp bends in the river. The rubble was pilled right on the lip of the channel and many times large river trees are involved. These are usually only short sections of the channel. If you can find 7 to 10 ft. of water on these humps the Bass will spawn there and on any of the large wood sitting on the lip.
- Fish the forks of large river trees sitting in 12 to 15 ft. of water as many huge Bass will spawn on the trees.

Lastly go as far away from the other fisherman as you can get. You may not catch the biggest Bass in the lake; but you will find a captive audience on every lay-down that the beaver and wind has put into the water. Run a small 1/4 oz. spinner bait down all sides of these lay-downs; then follow up with a hand poured Lizard Trig. I like Pumpkin Seed with large Black seeds and the back should be Dark Green as close to a Zoom as you can get poured. Many will miss this opportunity with all the rain we have had. In one week the mouth of these creeks will still be muddy. Most will not go into a muddy creek. You will find that the farther back you go the clearer the water will become. Within one mile of the mouth you will find water that is clear enough to fish. Thirty years ago I fished the muddy water because I knew that most other fisherman would not go there. I did really well with my jigs for a larger profile. I do not believe the fish leave and will spawn in muddy water when the water temp. gets to the right degree.

In some lakes the water was colder than others. Now with the rains coming the new water was warmer then the existing water. This is a good thing and even though it is a little muddy back there it is happening right now. This will push many fish right up on the banks and make for a great trip. Other lakes were right on the edge of the same temp as the rain water so it has not helped them as much. You will see fish scattered and the spawn will slip past us. Some will spawn here and some there; so we are very lucky if we find them, or even realize the spawn has taken place.

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Re: Spawn question [Re: Donald Harper] #12659064 03/05/18 04:36 PM
L
LinkLowrance Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
L
Originally Posted By: Donald Harper
Do your mapping work. Look for the areas in 20 ft. of water with the most irregular contours which will be where the fish live. Move to the closes flat to that irregular feature. These are the spots that the huge bass will spawn as deep as possible on.
- Look for the bends in the creek.
- Look for the inside bends of creeks.
- Fish the inside flat between two creeks that fork.
- Look for the heaviest cover that these spots offer.
- Target the largest hardwoods on any shoreline protrusions.
- Fish the lip of the creek channel with big wood.
- Find humps on the lip of the main channel during low water times. This is where dredging took place before the lake was impounded to prevent flooding and will be found near the sharp bends in the river. The rubble was pilled right on the lip of the channel and many times large river trees are involved. These are usually only short sections of the channel. If you can find 7 to 10 ft. of water on these humps the Bass will spawn there and on any of the large wood sitting on the lip.
- Fish the forks of large river trees sitting in 12 to 15 ft. of water as many huge Bass will spawn on the trees.

Lastly go as far away from the other fisherman as you can get. You may not catch the biggest Bass in the lake; but you will find a captive audience on every lay-down that the beaver and wind has put into the water. Run a small 1/4 oz. spinner bait down all sides of these lay-downs; then follow up with a hand poured Lizard Trig. I like Pumpkin Seed with large Black seeds and the back should be Dark Green as close to a Zoom as you can get poured. Many will miss this opportunity with all the rain we have had. In one week the mouth of these creeks will still be muddy. Most will not go into a muddy creek. You will find that the farther back you go the clearer the water will become. Within one mile of the mouth you will find water that is clear enough to fish. Thirty years ago I fished the muddy water because I knew that most other fisherman would not go there. I did really well with my jigs for a larger profile. I do not believe the fish leave and will spawn in muddy water when the water temp. gets to the right degree.

In some lakes the water was colder than others. Now with the rains coming the new water was warmer then the existing water. This is a good thing and even though it is a little muddy back there it is happening right now. This will push many fish right up on the banks and make for a great trip. Other lakes were right on the edge of the same temp as the rain water so it has not helped them as much. You will see fish scattered and the spawn will slip past us. Some will spawn here and some there; so we are very lucky if we find them, or even realize the spawn has taken place.

Very nice Donald

Re: Spawn question [Re: Freecobasser] #12659080 03/05/18 04:48 PM
reeltexan Online Happy
TFF Celebrity
Online Happy
TFF Celebrity

I concentrate on creeks and pockets on the northwest side of the lake.

"..The pleasantist angling is to see the fish
Cut with her golden oars the silver stream,
And greedily devour the treacherous bait.
Bill Shakespeare

[Linked Image]
Re: Spawn question [Re: Freecobasser] #12659599 03/05/18 09:25 PM
F
Freecobasser Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
F
Thanks for the great advice!

Previous Thread
Index