Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,037,842
Posts13,935,392
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Tomorrow 3/3, Purtis Creek likely, or Mill Creek in Canton #12655881 03/03/18 01:55 AM
B
Brad R Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
I loaded my Slayer Propel 10 and I think I'll end up at Purtis Creek in Eustace. It's a fun lake if you like fishing standing timber and don't mind dodging some stumps.

So, if anyone plans to be there, paddle or pedal over.

I plan to drop shot, T-Rig some worms and if I can't find them on the bottom, I have some Keitech Easy Shiners to swim around.

Everybody report how you did if you get a chance to get out this weekend!

Brad

Re: Tomorrow 3/3, Purtis Creek likely, or Mill Creek in Canton [Re: Brad R] #12656832 03/03/18 10:47 PM
B
Brad R Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
Fishing was pretty good, weather great.

I drove into the Purtis Creek entrance, got out to grab an envelope to fill out and leave my fee . . . I left my wallet at home. So, I realized I had a bunch of quarters for car washes, used those. I don't think a fishing license is required in state parks, so, off I went.

Other than my wallet, I left my sunglasses in my truck, I thought my water, too, but it was back home on the counter.

One of those days!

Fishing: No bites, oddly on the drop shot off the boat launch in the standing timber, so I started cruising the banks. They weren't up tight for me but about 10 feet off. Best bites came on windy points.

While I caught 4 small bass of the 15" variety, no big females ever grabbed on.

And, another weird thing: I have never missed so many hook ups. I had bass biting but just not getting hooked.

Water was chocolate brown and I threw some green pumpkin and dark blue. I think I might have doubled my catch by using dark blue or another dark color more easily seen in unclear water.

Fun lake, quite a few kayaks out fishing and others more recreational. Maybe 6 or 8 boats from jon boats to big ones idling around. I think everyone I talked to caught some fish.

One pic attached, finger in photo . . . one of those days!

Brad

Re: Tomorrow 3/3, Purtis Creek likely, or Mill Creek in Canton [Re: Brad R] #12657906 03/04/18 08:53 PM
H
huntfishsleep5 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
H
Funny how you mentioned “just one of those days.” Last time I visited Purtis Creek I made it all the way there from Dallas, kayak unloaded and everything before I realized I forgot my paddle. Luckily they were kind enough to lend me one from their rental fleet at no charge.

Nice fish and thanks for sharing.

Re: Tomorrow 3/3, Purtis Creek likely, or Mill Creek in Canton [Re: Brad R] #12658012 03/04/18 10:38 PM
M
Mulholland Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
4 more than I caught between 3 short trips this weekend. Skunked on southlake friday night, lewisville saturday night, and couldnt get on lavon this morning so redirected to a skunking on ray hubbard.

Re: Tomorrow 3/3, Purtis Creek likely, or Mill Creek in Canton [Re: Brad R] #12658160 03/05/18 12:13 AM
B
Brad R Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
I think transitional times can be the toughest. I fully expected to go out and nab a few on the drop shot around standing timber. Nope.

Off to the banks, shallower water. I should have anticipated the cloudy water and brought more dark blues and similar colors for fishing that sort of water.

Just a guess that finesse guys can catch a few fish a bit easier than power fisherman in these transitional periods.

This is a really fun lake . . . we ought to get a group up and go out and hit it hard soon.

Brad

Re: Tomorrow 3/3, Purtis Creek likely, or Mill Creek in Canton [Re: Brad R] #12658314 03/05/18 01:45 AM
M
Mulholland Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
I've never fished it, Im honestly just trying to get time on the water in the new rig and even get used to kayak fishing. It's been a bit frustrating but the mirage drive+hand control rudder make things a bit easier than just paddle power I suppose. I definitely need to work on my casting skills from seated... and standing but thats another issue all together and not something Im likely to do in the revo 11 without adding outriggers. Nothing time on the water can't fix, just need to get out as much as possible and get after it... And maybe sit in it in the bed of my truck and just cast to stuff in my yard a bit lol

Re: Tomorrow 3/3, Purtis Creek likely, or Mill Creek in Canton [Re: Mulholland] #12658647 03/05/18 12:58 PM
B
Brad R Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
I always recommend carrying along at least one short rod when fishing from a kayak. 6 feet or less. Just generally speaking, from our kayaks we don't typically make super long casts, power fish, as much as we finesse fish, shallower water more than deep, etc.

A short rod adds accuracy and leverage.

And, too, power down one notch. If a medium heavy (MH) is called for from a boat for certain presentations, then a medium (M) power will work fine from a kayak. The rationale behind this is that when we hook into a nice fish, our kayaks move a bit toward it as it fights and pulls, more so than in a heavy boat.

So, if we are pulled toward the thing pulling on our lines (a fish), with a heavier rod, it never lets the rod flex as much. You typically want your rod to load up and stay loaded up to keep the fish pinned on the hook. If your rod straightens out, you lose more fish.

Purtis Creek would be an excellent lake to gain kayak fishing skills. Idle only, right size, etc. Wheeler Branch would be another near DFW.

Brad

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide