Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12650115 02/27/18 11:19 PM
R
rickt300 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
I wish it was legal to gil net carp on certain lakes! Joe Poole and Lake Whitney come to mind. Carp do directly affect gamefish populations by eating their eggs and muddying up the water where non rough fish spawn. What is odd is that the sheer number of carp in certain lakes and that the carpers are so selfish they won't manage them or let anyone else manage them. Every time I see carp spawning I get my spear out and kill as many as possible. I give them away or use them to make cut and punch bait for catfish. Carp is not even an especially good cut bait unless salted.

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? [Re: rickt300] #12651175 02/28/18 03:16 PM
J
Jake Blood Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
J
Originally Posted By: rickt300
I give them away or use them to make cut and punch bait for catfish.

Speaking only for myself rick, but you stated what I think is the fundamental difference between what I posted and what you do..... no waste.

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12651279 02/28/18 04:08 PM
B
bowhuntfisher Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Wow, sounds like I need to head to Lake PooLe with my Bow during the carp spawn!
Lol, JK, I have plenty of targets down here when they (carp) spawn.
But most waters are murky down here and if the carp are not spawning on top, you cant see them to shoot them, so for the rest of the year, they flurish, unfortantely. Same with Gar, and Gar do love to eat Bass for sure, but I'm glad TPWD put a limit on Alligator Gar for 1 a day. Manage the resource, Hmmm think that has been said before on here.

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? [Re: bluesea112] #12652648 03/01/18 03:26 AM
T
TXMulti-Species Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: bluesea112
Many of you would change your mind and support bowfishing if you had seen as many gar as I have seen with crappie and bass in their stomachs. I am no biologist, but it does not take a science degree to make personal observation. I can tell you the fact is that gar prefer to eat game fish over carp, buffalo, or drum. It makes me sick to think about how many game fish the big gar are eating every day. Most of the fish I see in gar stomachs are smaller game fish under 4 inches, but those are fish that could have grown into trophies. Anybody who tells you that gar do not have a negative impact on the game fish population just doesn't know what they are talking about.

If that's what we're going by, then we'd have to kill other bass, catfish, and essentially all predatory species. It's a fish eat fish world down there, and it's better for them to die small than big, as it allows those that survive to get bigger simply by virtue of there being less competition. To be honest, I don't like the concept of bowfishing whatsoever, but what really bothers me is the killing of large fish that maintain population through breeding, pass on their "trophy genes," and keep all the small ones from taking over.

Last edited by TXMulti-Species; 03/01/18 03:28 AM.

Catch and release. The dream - to catch one of every species of Freshwater fish in our great state! If only I can resist Carp...
https://txmultispecies.imgur.com/
[Linked Image]
Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12652755 03/01/18 04:30 AM
R
redace1 Offline
Angler
Angler
R
I'm no expert on the topic. But I see more carp and gar on a regular basis than most other fish because of their top water feeding habits.
I can't imagine bow fishing could ever have an impact on their numbers so go for it.
But leaving any wildlife killed on the ramp or dumping them is irresponsible. Be it deer, dove, quail, squirrel, etc.
If you are going to take the life do it for a purpose.
JMHO.

Momma always said......
Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? [Re: redace1] #12652764 03/01/18 04:37 AM
T
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: redace1
I'm no expert on the topic. But I see more carp and gar on a regular basis than most other fish because of their top water feeding habits.
I can't imagine bow fishing could ever have an impact on their numbers so go for it.
But leaving any wildlife killed on the ramp or dumping them is irresponsible. Be it deer, dove, quail, squirrel, etc.
JMHO.

Gar breathe air, so you're going to see quite a bit of them if they're around.

Catch and release. The dream - to catch one of every species of Freshwater fish in our great state! If only I can resist Carp...
[Linked Image]
Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12652978 03/01/18 01:49 PM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: TXMulti-Species
JMHO.

Yea, there are so many gar in one lake I fish, I am going to have to buy a bow fishing outfit and walk the bank to knock them down a bit, then maybe I can successfully wade fish for crappie....of course, it would be much faster and easier, if I could legally just take a .22 and a few boxes of shells...If there are ANY TPW biologists in the House, please send me a PM, we seriously need to open up the regulations a bit to rid some of our lakes of all these rough fish...particularly since they are taking over our lakes...

soap de violin taz

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? [Re: RedRanger] #12660704 03/06/18 04:45 PM
skeeterzx202 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
cannot bowfish for game fish such as bass- it is illegal. only carp and gar- rough fish.

Waterloo Rods/Smacktackle baits
Coleto Bassmasters
South region B.A.S.S. Nation
Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12661554 03/07/18 02:40 AM
9094 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
JMHO.

Gar actually can use Gils to filter o2 or gulp air. They spend over 90% of their lives using gills.
You really should learn about the subject you are talking about.

Last edited by steve hummert; 03/09/18 01:36 PM.
Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? [Re: 9094] #12661667 03/07/18 04:02 AM
T
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: 9094
JMHO.

Gar actually can use Gils to filter o2 or gulp air. They spend over 90% of their lives using gills.

Just because gar spend most of their time breathing with their gills doesn't mean they don't breathe air.
Of course I'm anti-bowfishing, you'd be too if the roles were reversed and carp were prized while bass (or whatever your favorite fish happens to be) were bowfished.
It's unwise and immature to throw out accusations.

Last edited by steve hummert; 03/09/18 01:37 PM.

[Linked Image]
Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12664572 03/09/18 03:32 AM
T
ToasterWEyes Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T

It's only a good cast if you catch a fish...
Personal Best: 11.62 lbs
Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12664794 03/09/18 12:46 PM
B
BMART Offline
Angler
Angler
B
Unfortunate when a subject about fishing turns into political name calling, I see this in other fishing forums too

If it's legal ain't no way in hell it's catch and release, it's CATCH & GREASE, except ROUGH (TRASH) Fish
Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12664963 03/09/18 02:36 PM
B
bowhuntfisher Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Nice Buffalo carp there ToasterWEyes.

Are Buffalo good to eat, do they have the same amount of bones in the meat? I have noticed their meat is whiter than the common and grass carp meat is. I have only noticed when I cut them up to use for cut bait.

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? [Re: bluesea112] #12665013 03/09/18 02:59 PM
BMCD Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: bluesea112
Many of you would change your mind and support bowfishing if you had seen as many gar as I have seen with crappie and bass in their stomachs. I am no biologist, but it does not take a science degree to make personal observation. I can tell you the fact is that gar prefer to eat game fish over carp, buffalo, or drum. It makes me sick to think about how many game fish the big gar are eating every day. Most of the fish I see in gar stomachs are smaller game fish under 4 inches, but those are fish that could have grown into trophies. Anybody who tells you that gar do not have a negative impact on the game fish population just doesn't know what they are talking about.

I would disagree with you, I doubt Gar is even close to the top predator of bass. I support bowfishing. But this is not a reason to support it.

Last edited by BMCD; 03/09/18 09:48 PM.
Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12665217 03/09/18 04:51 PM
R
rickt300 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
Originally Posted By: 9094
JMHO.

Just because gar spend most of their time breathing with their gills doesn't mean they don't breathe air.
Of course I'm anti-bowfishing, you'd be too if the roles were reversed and carp were prized while bass (or whatever your favorite fish happens to be) were bowfished.
It's unwise and immature to throw out accusations.

Odd can you say why Carp are not "prized"? Has it occurred to you there is a reason Carp are not "prized"? Or why they are called "rough" fish? Could be a very good reason they are legal to bowfish, has that come to mind for you? It is guys like you that refuse to manage the resource that are the reason carp are legal to bowfish along with their other not so "prized" traits.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide