Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: 3N | SPAWN [Re: fishin247] #12654451 03/02/18 03:57 AM
Three Nails Guide Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
I don't think a well established or healthy crappie lake, can be out fished, if you abide by the state laws. My clients boated over 7,000 plus crappie last year. I probably see 20,000 plus a year on the graph that don't bite. I don't believe fisherman are even making a bent in the crappie population.

Mark Standridge
East Texas Crappie Guide
Fork Palestine
www.threenailsguide.com
www.facebook.com/threenailsguide
Re: 3N | SPAWN [Re: Three Nails Guide] #12654485 03/02/18 04:14 AM
E
Epic Offline
Angler
Angler
E
Originally Posted By: Three Nails Guide
I don't think a well established or healthy crappie lake, can be out fished, if you abide by the state laws. My clients boated over 7,000 plus crappie last year. I probably see 20,000 plus a year on the graph that don't bite. I don't believe fisherman are even making a bent in the crappie population.

Without the fishing pressure I think we would start seeing a much smaller average size of fish. If we didnt cull the heard the shad population would suffer with the way crappie reproduce.

Re: 3N | SPAWN [Re: SheCrappieKilla] #12654490 03/02/18 04:20 AM
L
leanin post Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted By: SheCrappieKilla
Originally Posted By: leanin post
I believe that what most of us have thought for many years, that crappie that are hanging around brush in 8 to 17 feet of water are staging and waiting for the right time to go shallow is a myth, those fish are spawning on those areas in the 8 to 17 foot depths. this is why you hardly ever catch big 3 and 4 year old males and females shallow, in 6 inches to 2 feet, its the small immature males and females that go really shallow for some reason. There is a creek that runs thru a cove on a lake I fish, and theres a very large tree amidst a group of smaller trees, with a large flat boulder sitting next to it in 20 feet of water., every year folks go right past it into the back of the cove, and catch a small fish here and there, but if the wind is blowing into the cove, I tie up to the tree, and use a slip cork rig, set at 10 to 12 feet, and catch large males and females .. and plenty of them!!
once I realized that the majority of the nice fish do not spawn shallow, I was able to zero in on areas that were more productive, than fishing hundreds of yards of bankline, to get a dozen or 2 skinny males. Also, In my opinion, paying attention to the water temp is a great waste of time.
moon cycles, hours of daylight, nutrient rich areas, and areas where ive found them in the past is what I pay attention to. areas where shad spawn is great to know as well. Also, the clearer the water is the deeper the fish will spawn.
today I noticed some bluebonnet buds in my yard, and yesterday I saw a few wrens flying around, for me, that has been a good indicator that the fish are getting ready to do thier thing very soon.!!!

Great post Mark, and may your cup overflow this year!!!

Your Myth was Broken last night.

Got a little wet in the rain storm yesterday evening but, it's close to a full moon. I found a small pocket of warm water at 57 degrees. Caught a few Large but nothing big. Anyways had close to 14 pounds on 7 fish, all caught in 1 foot to 4 foot of water against the bank.

Crappie are always where you find them.

Good Job as always Mark.

This was a male.

This was a female.

This was a male.

Just because you caught them near the bank doesnt mean they are spawning, they do go near the banks to feed on spawning shad in the early mornings, and also during the day. im sure you already know this though, but your theory that you find fish in warm pockets of water is really out there... but regardless you are on the team of folks on this forum that constantly attempt to contradict my posts.. this forum sure runs alot more productive and friendly when you find the time to spread your negativity elsewhere. you never share any useful information, just pics of fish on a scale to prove you catch fish I guess. A braggart more or less .You know, if theres 1.5 or 2.5 lb fish on a lake, it doesnt take any more skill to catch a 1/2 or one pound fish. all your doing is catching a fish. your not solving global warming or anything yet you post pics of fish on the certified bologna scale like you caught a golden fish or something. . lol

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: 3N | SPAWN [Re: Three Nails Guide] #12654500 03/02/18 04:31 AM
L
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
L
this is a shad. they spawn near the banks for around 5 weeks, abt the same time as crappie spawn. the crappie know this, and feed on them when they go to the banks. it is a high probability that you may catch crappie near the banks when shad are there. no warm pockets or full moons needed. looking at the fish on the certified bologna scale, I would bet they have shad in thier stomachs. males that are sitting on beds dont feed much. they gaurd the nest, then fan the nest. they are very busy. So as was stated earlier, those fish are feeding on spawning shad, and that is the ONLY reason they are there. case closed fish

Last edited by leanin post; 03/02/18 04:46 AM.

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: 3N | SPAWN [Re: Three Nails Guide] #12654524 03/02/18 04:56 AM
M
Mckinneycrappiecatcher Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
M
Youre crazy if you think water temperature has no effect on the crappie spawn, while I agree that not all fish spawn shallow, and that just because they are shallow does not mean they are spawning yet(yet being the key word, theyre likely looking around), water temp is THE key factor when it comes to ALL fish species, even if your theory about the shad is true (most shad wont spawn until the water really warms up, usually the second half of the crappie spawn in my observations), its the WATER TEMPERATURE that sparks the shad spawn. There is too much biological research behind the water temperature sparking a spawn to argue otherwise. Granted they are fish, they do adapt, and Ive seen it happen in spring ranges anywhere from 56-75 degrees, but most spawners do their thing about 65 degrees and that is usually a pretty safe bet.

Re: 3N | SPAWN [Re: Mckinneycrappiecatcher] #12654801 03/02/18 02:07 PM
T
TroyKing Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Im really disappointed in this "Spawning thread"... I don't know why anyone would claim they caught fish "spawning" when they didn't... Some people need to stop all the out right deceptiveness.... After all "warm" and "cold" and "shallow" and "deep" are relative terms that can have different meanings OK GARSH!!.... BTW does anyone know what 3 pounds of bologna is going for these days?... bolt

Last edited by TroyKing; 03/02/18 02:09 PM.

The driving force and secret desire of every bass fisherman, is to one day be a crappie fisherman............Could it be that the good Lord just smilies and looks the other way when a fisherman tells a lie?
Re: 3N | SPAWN [Re: Three Nails Guide] #12654978 03/02/18 03:28 PM
S
SheCrappieKilla Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
I was just trying to confirm and share as Mark's report did. They are some fish shallow now. Some fish, not all fish.

Just wanted to share and help others out, this is how we find them every year, by looking for the warmest water within a cove, a small pocket within a cove that has water 57 degrees and above that, will start holding white crappie, this time of year.

Mark's report is spot on, the majority of fish are still in deep water.

Try it, it just might work and remember crappie are always where you find them.

Thanks again Mark for your thoughts.

Re: 3N | SPAWN [Re: Mckinneycrappiecatcher] #12657461 03/04/18 02:39 PM
L
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher
Youre crazy if you think water temperature has no effect on the crappie spawn, while I agree that not all fish spawn shallow, and that just because they are shallow does not mean they are spawning yet(yet being the key word, theyre likely looking around), water temp is THE key factor when it comes to ALL fish species, even if your theory about the shad is true (most shad wont spawn until the water really warms up, usually the second half of the crappie spawn in my observations), its the WATER TEMPERATURE that sparks the shad spawn. There is too much biological research behind the water temperature sparking a spawn to argue otherwise. Granted they are fish, they do adapt, and Ive seen it happen in spring ranges anywhere from 56-75 degrees, but most spawners do their thing about 65 degrees and that is usually a pretty safe bet.

let me ask you this, do you believe fish can generate thier own heat, even though they are considered cold blooded? you likely would say no, but there is scientific proof that they can.ever notice baitfish turn lighter in cold weather, why do you think this is?

in my experience, at 65 degrees, the party is pretty much over.
back to your post, there really hasnt been much real scientific research on temp spawn relationship, moreso it has been repeated opinions over the years. the mere fact that the warmest water on any lake or reservoir DOES NOT always or usually hold the majority of spawning crappie rules this misinformation out definitively. This misinformation has been repeat so often it has become ingrained in peoples mind, but it simply isnt true. check it out for yourself, go find the warmest creek on your lake, and see if its teaming with crappie. I chased that rabbit down the wrong hole on several lakes over several years and the crappie just were not there. when you quit being concerned abt the warmest water, and start being concerned with the richest nutrient water, you will find crappie at various depth in many temperature ranges. you know, were talking abt a fish that can adapt in 100 degree water or near freezing water. Crappie can thrive in canadian waters that stay on the verge of freezing most of the year. ever see folks icefishing? when they cut an 18 inch plug out of the ice, how cold do you think the water is under that hole, 34. 35. 36? for 5-12 months out of the year?

Last edited by leanin post; 03/04/18 03:01 PM.

Re: 3N | SPAWN [Re: Three Nails Guide] #12657472 03/04/18 02:46 PM
L
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
L
if you want to locate spawning shad, go cruise the banks abt one hour before sunrise, as soon as first light hits, they stop. when spawning it sounds like crawfish poping around in an icechest and the water is making small gurgling noises. crappie will feed on then heavily until they disperse , sometimes you can do good fishing while this is happening, but sometimes there is so much shad, your one bait in a million. try something with some flash, like a roadrunner.

Re: 3N | SPAWN [Re: leanin post] #12657682 03/04/18 05:32 PM
Txmedic033 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted By: leanin post
ever notice baitfish turn lighter in cold weather, why do you think this is?

Because they are deeper in the water column and don't get as much sunlight. Just like every other fish. Shallow fish are always darker than the deep fish? I hope this answers one of your questions.

Re: 3N | SPAWN [Re: Three Nails Guide] #12657757 03/04/18 06:35 PM
S
SheCrappieKilla Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
LeaningPost,

Is crystal clear water the typicaly the richest nutrient water?

Re: 3N | SPAWN [Re: Three Nails Guide] #12657808 03/04/18 07:27 PM
K
Ken Gaby Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
K
This thread was started by one of the most respected fishing guides in the State giving some advice based on his knowledge gained from thousands of hours on the water.

Leanin Post, when you post on a thread like this stating the opinion given is just a myth, that takes a direct shot at the poster. That could account for the negative responses you seem to receive. If you want to argue, perhaps the bunker section would be a good place.

Instead of hi-jacking someone else's thread, start your own thread with your opinions. And maybe show some proof of your opinions. I see the beginning of this thread has a nice pic with some true slabs. And just because someone posts some pics doesn't mean they are bragging. That's why this forum has that emoji "this thread is useless without pics".

And I seem to remember a post from you a couple years ago about the limit of crappie you caught and the picture of the fish and your boat where you stenciled "fifty fillets" on the side. Guess that wasn't bragging back then.

A life without God is like an unsharpened pencil, it has no point. Billy Graham
www.thermoclinelures.com "Helping YOU catch MORE & LARGER fish!"
http://www.crazyanglertackle.com Premium crappie baits and jig tying accessories
http://www.proanglertackle.com Best crappie and catfish rods/reels
http://www.beereadys.com World's Best Rod Holders
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide