Page 1 of 2 1 2
What bass fishing books or articles helped you? #12649083 02/27/18 02:26 PM
J
Jake Blood Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
J
So besides countless YouTube videos and fishing shows and forums such as this one, I have a thirst to know as much about bass fishing as I can. The problem I find with the internet, is that you can get 10 different videos with ten different opinions on how to catch the same fish. I have to say that I never trust what I see on TV (fishing shows) as I feel everything is about selling me something. So... I turn to books or magazines as my primary source of learning...

I have a handful of books that I have read, but here are the two that I really like and that have made the most impact on my fishing. The first is pretty simplistic and general, and helped me when I just started fishing, but I still look at it today when I am in a slump to see if there is anything I am forgetting.

The second one is a great read... Lots and lots of information about LMB and reading a lake, baits, how to's... I have read it a couple times and read pieces of it over and over as it applies to whatever I am trying to do. A must have.

Anyway, was wondering what other books are out there that some of you might have read and found impactful to your fishing. I guess at the end of the day nothing replaces just getting out there with different people and learning that way, but it helps with the 'cabin fever' for sure.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: What bass fishing books or articles helped you? [Re: Jake Blood] #12649160 02/27/18 03:10 PM
G
G Pope Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
I just purchased "knowing Bass" by Keith Jones. It has not arrived yet, but I am looking forward to reading it over spring break on the Texas coast. It's pretty pricey so I hope it worth the $$. I have heard good things about it and it is highly rated on many sites.

I have also read "High percentage Fishing" by Josh Alwine. This one was pretty basic but did have some small nuggets of gold. No real aha moments.

Have not heard of the 2 you mentioned above. Will have to check these out as well. Thanks for the post.

Re: What bass fishing books or articles helped you? [Re: Jake Blood] #12649180 02/27/18 03:17 PM
J
Jpurdue Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
J
"Small nuggets of gold..." Haha, I'll take it!

John Hopes Track'n trophies is tough to beat if you are a Texas Fisherman.

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: What bass fishing books or articles helped you? [Re: G Pope] #12649447 02/27/18 05:36 PM
J
Jake Blood Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
J
Originally Posted By: G Pope

Have not heard of the 2 you mentioned above. Will have to check these out as well. Thanks for the post.

If you are experienced, then maybe just the bottom one will be of value, and I agree with the nuggets statement. I am going to check out the ones mentioned though... I need all the nuggets I can get lol

Last edited by Jake Blood; 02/27/18 05:37 PM.
Re: What bass fishing books or articles helped you? [Re: Jake Blood] #12649500 02/27/18 06:09 PM
TajChauvin Online Content
Angler
Online Content
Angler
I think that you will enjoy Knowing Bass (cant believe the current price as I only paid $15 or so years ago). It will give you an in-depth (scientific) understanding of a bass senses which is just as importing as finding their location. Along with In-Fisherman, it has been one of the best bass reads Ive had.

Re: What bass fishing books or articles helped you? [Re: Jake Blood] #12649503 02/27/18 06:12 PM
Sinkey Online Content
Tidy Scoop
Online Content
Tidy Scoop
NONE! Time on the water will help you the most!

Re: What bass fishing books or articles helped you? [Re: Sinkey] #12649646 02/27/18 07:29 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted By: Sinkey
NONE! Time on the water will help you the most!
exactly what I was gonna post.

They are good entertainment for when the wife is watching something I'd rather not watch on tv. I can read a book that interests me. But, time fishing is where you learn how, what, when, and where.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: What bass fishing books or articles helped you? [Re: Jake Blood] #12649683 02/27/18 07:45 PM
J
Jpurdue Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
J
Of course time on the water is important, but you can vastly shorten the learning curve on just about any pursuit in life by absorbing the wisdom of folks who have done it before. It's the whole idea of mentors, the reason we invented language, and the sole reason that our species has achieved the heights it has.

Absolutely, spend as much time on the water as you can... But if you are like most folks you don't get as many chances as you'd like to get on the water so reading books can be a great way to ensure when you do get the chance you are maximizing the effectiveness of your time.

Obviously I'm a bit bias towards my books, but outside of that here are some of my favorites:

"Hannon's Big Bass Magic - Paperback June, 1986 by Douglas Hannon (Author)
"Doug Hannon's Field Guide for Bass Fishing - Paperback 2000 by R. Douglas Hannon (Author)
"Big Bass Zone - Paperback February, 2005 by Bill Siemental (Author), Larry Jones (Author), Michael Jones (Author)
"In Pursuit of Giant Bass - Paperback 1999 by Bill Murphy (Author)
Sowbelly: The Obsessive Quest for the World-Record Largemouth Bass" - Paperback February 28, 2006 by Monte Burke (Author)
"Knowing Bass: The Scientific Approach to Catching More Fish - Paperback July 1, 2005 by Keith A. Jones PhD (Author)
"The Scientific Angler - Hardcover October, 1984 by Paul C. Johnson (Author)
"John Hope's Trackin' Trophies - Paperback 2001 by Jesse Miller (Author)
"Lunker! - Hardcover October, 1975 by Bob A. Underwood (Author)
"Spoonplugging - Paperback 1979 by Buck Perry (Author)

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: What bass fishing books or articles helped you? [Re: Jake Blood] #12649696 02/27/18 07:51 PM
buda13 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
When I was around 8 years old, my first BASS subscription came with a book called "Bassin Magic". I read that thing cover to cover more times than I can remember, never had anyone to take me fishing or teach me anything so my buddies and I rode our bikes to Denton Creek or stock ponds to fish. I learned how to tie knots, how to rig baits, and basic presentation techniques from the book. While I agree time on the water is the best way to refine your skills and learn how to pattern fish, books and other information certainly have their place. IMHO.

Re: What bass fishing books or articles helped you? [Re: Jake Blood] #12649723 02/27/18 08:11 PM
Reel Addict Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
High percentage Fishing and Lunker Lore by Josh Alwine are both very good reads.

Time on the water is always the best

PB Largemouth 8.56 Lake Fork
PB Largemouth 8.98 Sam Rayburn (Big Bass Splash)

Re: What bass fishing books or articles helped you? [Re: Jake Blood] #12649746 02/27/18 08:26 PM
R
RayBob Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
R
I really like this site:

https://scout.com/outdoors/bass-fishing

Always good reading.

Advice? Wise men don't need it. Fools won't heed it.

Re: What bass fishing books or articles helped you? [Re: Reel Addict] #12649753 02/27/18 08:28 PM
senko9S Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
books are ok with fundamentals like terminology, how to rig/tie etc. if you are wanting to become a better angler, you'll need to build your confidence in the more advance parts of angling. for example, understanding weather and forage as relating to bass, locating fish, electronics, confidence in lure selection, boat control, mood of the fish etc etc. I could go on and on but my point is that books cant teach confidence. TOW is the fastest learning curve exponentially.

Re: What bass fishing books or articles helped you? [Re: Jake Blood] #12649763 02/27/18 08:34 PM
J
Jpurdue Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
J
Different opinion here. There's been lots of times I've read something, watched something, talked to somebody, then when out and tried something I learned. I never would have had the confidence to chuck giant swimbaits for instance, without first having read about it. Who in their right mind would sit on a funnel point and stitch for two hours without having read about Bill Murphy's and John Hope's techniques and successes? Do books instill confidence? In my case they sure spark it anyway. Read away folks. "The person you'll be in 5 years is based on the books you read and the people you surround yourself with today." Choose wisely.

Last edited by Jpurdue; 02/27/18 08:35 PM.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: What bass fishing books or articles helped you? [Re: Jpurdue] #12649777 02/27/18 08:44 PM
senko9S Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I haven't read a book in decades, guess im a goner... violin

Re: What bass fishing books or articles helped you? [Re: Jpurdue] #12649899 02/27/18 09:42 PM
J
Jake Blood Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
J
Originally Posted By: Jpurdue
Do books instill confidence? In my case they sure spark it anyway. Read away folks. "The person you'll be in 5 years is based on the books you read and the people you surround yourself with today." Choose wisely.

I think it's a great point.. lots of great points. I agree that there is no better way than time on the water, but I can't be on the water as much as I can be in a good book, so to fill that time, and pick up some things to try, books do that for me. I see a few here I will definitely take a look at. You know, I fish a lone a lot, and what I find is that if I didn't get an idea from a book, I would probably do the same thing that caught fish last time and not that one thing that might catch me more fish next time...

And just to add to the time on the water comments.. time on the water with new people that I have not fished with... I have learned so much picking up a back seat every once in awhile.

Thanks for all of the comments.. got what I came for.. and got some ordering/reading to do.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide