Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: high end reels [Re: wyatt c] #12648712 02/27/18 03:49 AM
R
RiveraTackleCo. Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
R
Get an SLP works or ZPI modified Daiwa or Shimano. Then we can talk about high end

uno uno seis
www.riveratackle.com
[Linked Image]
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: high end reels [Re: wyatt c] #12648728 02/27/18 04:00 AM
R
RiveraTackleCo. Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
R

uno uno seis
www.riveratackle.com
[Linked Image]
Re: high end reels [Re: RiveraTackleCo.] #12648930 02/27/18 11:47 AM
Okie Poke Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: RiveraTackleCo.

Ouch! That thing better wipe after a looong cast, haha! Looks awesome....

😎 Dallas Cowboys....eventual Superbowl Champions 😎

Re: high end reels [Re: Okie Poke] #12648953 02/27/18 12:34 PM
Ken A. Online Content
Groovy
Online Content
Groovy
Originally Posted By: Okie Poke
Originally Posted By: RiveraTackleCo.

Ouch! That thing better wipe after a looong cast, haha! Looks awesome....

Them Asians always messin with a good thing.... grin

Re: high end reels [Re: wyatt c] #12648962 02/27/18 12:48 PM
Ken A. Online Content
Groovy
Online Content
Groovy
All joking aside, I love all of the high end modded up reels from Japan but they fish such finesse tactics over there that their reels are typically set up for 5.33# super thin radioactive spider web. That normally equates to a very shallow spool, which in turn allows the spool to "start up and slow down" faster with less chance of backlash. This makes casting super lightweight baits a breeze.

The problem for me with these reels is that I like to put 15 to 20# Flo or 65 braid on them and you run out of line on a normal cast. This is what I just recently discovered on my new Steez SV. It is an awesome reel if you use line less than 12# test.

I fill my reels full when I spool them. That way you get maximum casting distance. 99% of all the guys I fish with don't fill their reels full which kills your distance.

With the SV Steez, if you load it with 17 or 20# Invisx it is great, Until you cut and retire a few times during the day. Then I feel like I don't have enough line and I am hitting the knot every cast. If you hang up and have to break off a bait it is exacerbated. This is a personal preference but it bugs the carp outta me.

Last edited by Ken A.; 02/27/18 12:51 PM.

Re: high end reels [Re: Ken A.] #12648976 02/27/18 01:03 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted By: Ken A.
All joking aside, I love all of the high end modded up reels from Japan but they fish such finesse tactics over there that their reels are typically set up for 5.33# super thin radioactive spider web. That normally equates to a very shallow spool, which in turn allows the spool to "start up and slow down" faster with less chance of backlash. This makes casting super lightweight baits a breeze.

The problem for me with these reels is that I like to put 15 to 20# Flo or 65 braid on them and you run out of line on a normal cast. This is what I just recently discovered on my new Steez SV. It is an awesome reel if you use line less than 12# test.

I fill my reels full when I spool them. That way you get maximum casting distance. 99% of all the guys I fish with don't fill their reels full which kills your distance.

With the SV Steez, if you load it with 17 or 20# Invisx it is great, Until you cut and retire a few times during the day. Then I feel like I don't have enough line and I am hitting the knot every cast. If you hang up and have to break off a bait it is exacerbated. This is a personal preference but it bugs the carp outta me.

That doesn't sound very "Stressfree or Versitile", which is what SV is supposed to stand for.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: high end reels [Re: Ken A.] #12649031 02/27/18 01:44 PM
Okie Poke Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru

You know, Ken....some people can't afford to fill their spools every time. But I can feel your pain....

😎 Dallas Cowboys....eventual Superbowl Champions 😎

Re: high end reels [Re: Ken A.] #12649046 02/27/18 01:53 PM
Mark Perry Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak

That's odd as a regular Steez and Steez SV only have a 10yd difference in capacity for instance in the 16lb line size and 20yds difference in 14lb size.

Re: high end reels [Re: wyatt c] #12649510 02/27/18 06:17 PM
T
tclay Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
I have an akmibrand new metanium for sale. Posted on the for sale trade page

Re: high end reels [Re: Ken A.] #12649737 02/27/18 08:21 PM
Fishinfellow Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity

That's how the high end Shimano's are as well. Much shallower spool. My metaniums and chronarchs I spool up all the way for the exact reason you stated. After a few re-ties a long cast will hit the knot. In the long run I think you get more bang for your buck. You end up wasting less line.

Thats my money fish
[Linked Image]
Kris Winhold
Re: high end reels [Re: wyatt c] #12650031 02/27/18 10:35 PM
W
wyatt c Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
W
i like the small spool because i plan to use it on a jerkbait rod. didnt know if there were any problems that these reels usually run into or anything. i had a left handed aldebaran i just took off my jerkbait rod because i couldnt get used to it. i normally dont use shimano because theyre too big for my hand, same is true for the metaniums. hence why i was looking at the aldebarans and steez reels.

USAF
Re: high end reels [Re: Okie Poke] #12650058 02/27/18 10:46 PM
Ken A. Online Content
Groovy
Online Content
Groovy
Originally Posted By: Okie Poke

You know, Ken....some people can't afford to fill their spools every time. But I can feel your pain....

Yeah the six times I get to go every year nowadays.... roflmao

Re: high end reels [Re: wyatt c] #12650193 02/27/18 11:58 PM
E
ezbassin Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
E
I have several of the Steez reels and love them.

Re: high end reels [Re: Ken A.] #12650236 02/28/18 12:23 AM
C
cali kid Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C

Ken, if I did fish with you I would be in the 1%. I can't stand fishing with reels that aren't full.

And my favorite reel is the Shimano Core, been using them for several years now. I tried a Steez once and it just didn't do it for me. It didn't palm as well as the Core and I just couldn't love it. I sold it on Ebay. I bought some of the new Curado K reels and I like them a lot so far (even though they are not high end). They hold plenty of line.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide