Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Rayburn water color. [Re: Big Ned] #12650030 02/27/18 10:34 PM
K
kellisag Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
Originally Posted By: Big Ned
I hate to say it but Jaret is probably spot on about Toledo. Not to say anything negative about Jaret's comments because he is always spot on. The grass in Toledo (that is there) is going to be greatly impacted by the water levels and the high muddy water. I am going to make a statement and in doing so I want all to know I own a lake house right on the water. In my opinion around June they need to lower the lake to 162 (10" low) and let the vegetation regrow and get the new lake effect. I do realize it will hurt industry etc. When it refills it will be incredible for several years. That's what happened a few years ago. The lake has been trying to come back but if the water releases do not get it 3' low the grass will be gone again. I have talked to people today that say there is extremely muddy water where there has never been and I quote Chocolate Milk. I hope they keep releasing but after the effects south of the dam the last couple years that will probably not happen.

What happens if they drop it 10ft and then we go into another drought like 2009-2012?

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Rayburn water color. [Re: Flooringit] #12650085 02/27/18 11:00 PM
B
Big Ned Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
It's something that is out of human hands. What happens if they don't and there is no grass. I know Toledo will always kick out decent stringers. But in it's hey day with the grass all the way north of the 1215 area it was amazing. I have fished this lake and Rayburn for 4 decades. I am definitely NO biologist but this works throughout the country and there have been many articles wrote about "the New Lake Effect". Science is science and if there was a drought it would be terrible. But looking at the weather patterns of recent months it doesn't look likely. Trust me it is a gamble but look what happened after it refilled last time. #1 lake for 2 years in a row. I wish someone had the answer about the grass in Toledo but there is so many opions I don't know. I did talk with a Biologist that said the problem with Toledo is the heavy flooding and above pool lake rises the last few years. He stated that the agriculture from Dallas south that spray their crops for weeds etc. with herbicides and then the heavy rains washed it down from the north and that is what affected lake Fork and Toledo Bend grass.

Re: Rayburn water color. [Re: Flooringit] #12650106 02/27/18 11:13 PM
T
the skipper Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
A stable water level will grow grass better than any fluctuations. Look at rayburn, it was high for about 2 years straight and the grass is better than it has been in a while. Now if this water coming in clears up pretty quick it will take off again but the muddy water will kill it pretty quick.

Re: Rayburn water color. [Re: Flooringit] #12650119 02/27/18 11:21 PM
D
DBFishing83 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
...not arguing one way or the other.....
BUT,, do you think the folks that control that water and the level of the lake really care about YOUR fishing and what the water level up/down will do to make the fishing GREAT ?
They have a different job and agenda than do the bass fishermen and they are not going to set their agenda on what will be best for the "BASS" in 3 years.
Now, with that being said "I" do not expect them to set the lakes agenda based on my recreational bass fishing. I expect them to do what is best for what their plans are.

Re: Rayburn water color. [Re: Flooringit] #12650122 02/27/18 11:22 PM
B
Big Ned Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
I agree Skipper but Toledo does not clear like Rayburn and in my opinion they need to try to drop it to at least 3' lower than full pool to sustain the grass growth that is currently going on to help promote grass growth.

Re: Rayburn water color. [Re: DBFishing83] #12650272 02/28/18 12:41 AM
T
the skipper Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: flukeman83
...not arguing one way or the other.....
BUT,, do you think the folks that control that water and the level of the lake really care about YOUR fishing and what the water level up/down will do to make the fishing GREAT ?
They have a different job and agenda than do the bass fishermen and they are not going to set their agenda on what will be best for the "BASS" in 3 years.
Now, with that being said "I" do not expect them to set the lakes agenda based on my recreational bass fishing. I expect them to do what is best for what their plans are.

No, but I wish they did. Lol Bit I think we all understand

Re: Rayburn water color. [Re: Big Ned] #12650524 02/28/18 02:30 AM
K
kellisag Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
Originally Posted By: Big Ned
It's something that is out of human hands. What happens if they don't and there is no grass. I know Toledo will always kick out decent stringers. But in it's hey day with the grass all the way north of the 1215 area it was amazing. I have fished this lake and Rayburn for 4 decades. I am definitely NO biologist but this works throughout the country and there have been many articles wrote about "the New Lake Effect". Science is science and if there was a drought it would be terrible. But looking at the weather patterns of recent months it doesn't look likely. Trust me it is a gamble but look what happened after it refilled last time. #1 lake for 2 years in a row. I wish someone had the answer about the grass in Toledo but there is so many opions I don't know. I did talk with a Biologist that said the problem with Toledo is the heavy flooding and above pool lake rises the last few years. He stated that the agriculture from Dallas south that spray their crops for weeds etc. with herbicides and then the heavy rains washed it down from the north and that is what affected lake Fork and Toledo Bend grass.

Dropping it 10 ft isn't out of Human hands.

I'm not arguing that the regrowth allowed from lakes dropping isn't good for the fishery. Just stating that what you suggested isn't realistic.

Re: Rayburn water color. [Re: Flooringit] #12650660 02/28/18 03:42 AM
J
Jarrett Latta Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
The only way to get grass back on toledo is if it stops raining or flooding. If it's stable, it will thrive as it did on rayburn.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide