Forum Stats
107992 Members
60 Forums
860857 Topics
12269685 Posts

Max Online: 36273 @ 01/23/13 02:34 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#12639066 - 02/21/18 09:50 AM Pros at what?
TxRanger1 Online   content
Angler

Loc: Humble,Tx
The weather is nasty outside so I am sitting here thinking. Pro tournaments always trying new formats or challenges and local ones doing the same old thing or whatever. What if there was a tournament, be it local or pro that actually made you use your fishing skills. No electronics allowed to be used. Maybe the pros are not that good at fishing but rather pros at using electronics. Fish a lake you never fished before or even if it is your home lake and have to depend on your knowledge of behaviors and or ability to read a shoreline to determine where a channel is. Kind of makes you wonder if they are good at fishing or good at electronics.
Now people would say yea, but you wouldn't have the numbers or sizes but that just makes my point. Can they catch fish based on experience of fishing and knowledge of fishing or do they catch fish because of knowledge of using the electronics. I bet the fish are smarter than the fishermen.
I believe that it would make for an entertaining event. I notice that like everything else a lot of people do, they cant function without that camera, cell phone, computer or whatever electronic that they are tethered to. Same with a fish finder machine. Can you have a fun productive day of fishing without the electronics?
There is always going to be that guy that throws up the safety card, cant run the lake safely, what if this, what of that. Yea, you have to learn the lake or river first but it can be done.
Anyway, just some thought for fodder.

#12639088 - 02/21/18 10:02 AM Re: Pros at what? [Re: TxRanger1]
hunter1st Offline
Outdoorsman

Loc: Burleson
Be like deer hunting with no feeder or cameras.

#12639091 - 02/21/18 10:02 AM Re: Pros at what? [Re: TxRanger1]
I'm The Dude Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: Midland, Texas
That sounds like a great tournament for locals and guides and nobody else.

#12639122 - 02/21/18 10:17 AM Re: Pros at what? [Re: hunter1st]
RayBob Online   content
TFF Guru

Loc: Pineywoods
Originally Posted By: hunter1st
Be like deer hunting with no feeder or cameras.

That's not hunting without a feeder. And just forget it without cameras. How can a man hunt like that?

#12639125 - 02/21/18 10:18 AM Re: Pros at what? [Re: TxRanger1]
Doug R. Offline
TFF Celebrity

Loc: back in the day
Great idea, but if you know anything about "pro" bass tournaments then you know the only real reason they exist is corporate sponsorship dollars. So, you strip the "pros'" boats down of their electronics, whereas these electronic companies are HUGE sponsors, then you are kind of shooting yourself in the foot (so to speak).

It's a cool idea though, maybe make a "vintage circuit" where they fish with the exact equipment they had to use in the first few years "the tour" started. Including boats and motors laugh

#12639136 - 02/21/18 10:24 AM Re: Pros at what? [Re: TxRanger1]
fouzman Offline
Methuselah

Loc: Houston, TX
Originally Posted By: TxRanger1
I bet the fish are smarter than the fishermen.

If the fish were smarter than the fishermen, how would we have any tournaments? Or catch some fish for dinner? On a coke can and a string. Or catch the same fish twice in a day? Or even the same hour?

#12639239 - 02/21/18 11:19 AM Re: Pros at what? [Re: TxRanger1]
5X3Phoenix Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: Porter, TX
Kind of makes you wonder if they are good at fishing or good at electronics.

My opinion is that the vast majority of the Elite and FLW pros are so much better at just about everything fishing related than the average you and I. They would still catch 'em. Of course TOW helps with that, but most of them just have that talent either naturally or learned that makes them better. I have found the same in other sports/games as well. The disparity between Elite level performance at the high school, college, and pro level in just about anything (golf, baseball, football, basketball, fishing, etc) grows beyond what most people comprehend.

#12639246 - 02/21/18 11:22 AM Re: Pros at what? [Re: TxRanger1]
Brad Hardt Online   content
TFF Team Angler

Loc: Paradise, TX
How could they get to their waypoints and trails they were given?

#12639301 - 02/21/18 11:45 AM Re: Pros at what? [Re: TxRanger1]
BrockstaRama Offline
Outdoorsman

Loc: Houston, Tx
I feel like there is a certain degree of safety involved when using electronics so I doubt that format would be good for Texas unless they are locals.

#12639335 - 02/21/18 11:59 AM Re: Pros at what? [Re: 5X3Phoenix]
GIG'EM AGGIES Online   content
TFF Team Angler

Loc: texas
Originally Posted By: 5X3Phoenix
Kind of makes you wonder if they are good at fishing or good at electronics.

My opinion is that the vast majority of the Elite and FLW pros are so much better at just about everything fishing related than the average you and I. They would still catch 'em. Of course TOW helps with that, but most of them just have that talent either naturally or learned that makes them better. I have found the same in other sports/games as well. The disparity between Elite level performance at the high school, college, and pro level in just about anything (golf, baseball, football, basketball, fishing, etc) grows beyond what most people comprehend.

Agree with this. Lots of people can find'em but the pro's know how to catch'em. Therein lies the difference.
I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I don’t have to go to school or work. I get an allowance every month. I don’t have a curfew I have a driver’s license and my own car. The people I hang around with are not scared of getting pregnant. And I have a bass boat.
Life is great!

#12639339 - 02/21/18 12:02 PM Re: Pros at what? [Re: TxRanger1]
James Biggs Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: DFW area
Pros know how to adjust to condition changes way faster than the average bass angler.

Edited by James Biggs (02/21/18 12:02 PM)

http://www.xcitebaits.com

#12639360 - 02/21/18 12:17 PM Re: Pros at what? [Re: TxRanger1]
Txduckhunter Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: Lake Fork
The weather is nasty outside so I am sitting here thinking. Pro tournaments always trying new formats or challenges and local ones doing the same old thing or whatever. What if there was a tournament, be it local or pro that actually made you use your fishing skills. No electronics allowed to be used. Maybe the pros are not that good at fishing but rather pros at using electronics. Fish a lake you never fished before or even if it is your home lake and have to depend on your knowledge of behaviors and or ability to read a shoreline to determine where a channel is. Kind of makes you wonder if they are good at fishing or good at electronics.
Now people would say yea, but you wouldn't have the numbers or sizes but that just makes my point. Can they catch fish based on experience of fishing and knowledge of fishing or do they catch fish because of knowledge of using the electronics. I bet the fish are smarter than the fishermen.
I believe that it would make for an entertaining event. I notice that like everything else a lot of people do, they cant function without that camera, cell phone, computer or whatever electronic that they are tethered to. Same with a fish finder machine. Can you have a fun productive day of fishing without the electronics?
There is always going to be that guy that throws up the safety card, cant run the lake safely, what if this, what of that. Yea, you have to learn the lake or river first but it can be done.
Anyway, just some thought for fodder.

Continue to tell yourself that they can't catch fish without the "help" if it makes you feel better. The fact is that even the lowest Pro is usally going to be better than 95% of everyone on this board.

#12639379 - 02/21/18 12:25 PM Re: Pros at what? [Re: TxRanger1]
BMCD Offline
TFF Team Angler

Loc: Katy, Texas US
True duck. And then why does the electronic part not apply to the rest of us. sure electronics has opened up areas that we did not know about, but it did it for all. The pros just catch them better.

I for one do not think it would add entertainment value.

#12639381 - 02/21/18 12:26 PM Re: Pros at what? [Re: Txduckhunter]
TxRanger1 Online   content
Angler

Loc: Humble,Tx
[/quote]

Continue to tell yourself that they can't catch fish without the "help" if it makes you feel better. The fact is that even the lowest Pro is usally going to be better than 95% of everyone on this board. [/quote]

No one is saying that, just a point to ponder.

#12639474 - 02/21/18 01:10 PM Re: Pros at what? [Re: TxRanger1]
the skipper Online   content
TFF Team Angler

Loc: nederland, TX
Just call it the bank beater trail.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 1998-2018 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide