Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12607865 02/02/18 10:46 PM
U
uncle_bagster Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
U
I've always heard that smoked carp is pretty tasty. I wonder if anyone on the forum has tried it?

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? [Re: uncle_bagster] #12607894 02/02/18 11:04 PM
M
Max_S Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
Originally Posted By: uncle_bagster
I've always heard that smoked carp is pretty tasty. I wonder if anyone on the forum has tried it?

I've had it and it is pretty good. In fact, even fried carp, while not the tastiest fish in the world, is by no means bad (I'd rather have it than fish farm tilapia from HEB, but I guess that's not saying much). The biggest drawback of carp for me has never been the flavor (as long as they're from clean water and as long as you cut out the fatty layer along the lateral line), it's dealing with the hair-thin Y-bones in the meat.

The next time I feel inclined to keep a carp, I may try pickling the fillets. Done right, the vinegar breaks down the bones.

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? [Re: Bobby Milam] #12607899 02/02/18 11:07 PM
M
Max_S Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
Originally Posted By: Bobby Milam
There are two kinds of bow fishermen. Those who do it to take fish to eat and those who do it just because they like killing something. I have no problem with the first type.

I make one exception to that. People should be encouraged to kill as many silver Asian carp as they can in the Midwest. The alleged damage caused by common carp to ecosystems is greatly overblown - common carp coexist just fine with other freshwater game fish. The Asian carp are different story, they pretty much cause a collapse of the food chain wherever they establish by eating all the plankton. A friend of mine in the St. Louis area says that they're the biggest threat to paddlefish in particular for this reason.

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? [Re: Max_S] #12607997 02/03/18 12:59 AM
T
TXMulti-Species Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted by Max_S
Originally Posted by Bobby Milam
There are two kinds of bow fishermen. Those who do it to take fish to eat and those who do it just because they like killing something. I have no problem with the first type.

I make one exception to that. People should be encouraged to kill as many silver Asian carp as they can in the Midwest. The alleged damage caused by common carp to ecosystems is greatly overblown - common carp coexist just fine with other freshwater game fish. The Asian carp are different story, they pretty much cause a collapse of the food chain wherever they establish by eating all the plankton. A friend of mine in the St. Louis area says that they're the biggest threat to paddlefish in particular for this reason.

I thoroughly recommend everyone do this:

Catch and release. The dream - to catch one of every species of Freshwater fish in our great state! If only I can resist Carp...
https://txmultispecies.imgur.com/
[Linked Image]
Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12608190 02/03/18 03:33 AM
D
DancesWithSquirrels Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
Originally Posted By: TXMulti-Species
Is it fair, or is it unfair and why?
Bowfishing certain species can certainly be fair, depending upon the time of year. When it comes to gar, bowfin, and other air breathers, there is certainly an advantage on the part of the bowfisherman. In addition, spawning fish move into shallows, lose all sense of caution, and therefore become easy targets for bowfisherman to pick off.

Compared to "regular" fishing, is it more or less of a sport?
Bowfishing is a different kind of game. You certainly use different skills when standing up waiting for a fish to come into your line of sight compared to twitching a lure in just the right manner in just the right place to tempt a fish into biting. When comparing the skills and experience needed to hook a fish on rod and reel, simply
being accurate with a bow and arrow just doesn't compare.

Are there any unique situations present when bowfishing that aren't with hook and line?
As mentioned above, spawning and air breathing make a tremendous impact on bowfishing. Whereas with hook and line these things would just give you an idea of where the fish is and where to throw your bait, you'd still have to "get lucky" to hook into one, with a bow and arrow you just aim, draw, and release. It also goes without saying that when bowfishing, you cannot "catch and release." Bowfisherman must be aware of this and be ready to consume any fish they decide to take.

In addition to these, should there or should there not be rules strictly for bowfishing and why or why not?
There should most certainly be rules that apply to bowfishing and perhaps even a few more for hook and line. The idea that you can take any size and amount of rough or "trash" fish is absurd. They should be regulated just as any other resource would. Any sportsman would get pissed if someone came and took home a cooler (or several) of trophy sized bass, catfish, or crappie. Why shouldn't we get upset over someone taking several trophy sized buffalo, carp, drum, or gar?

On the subject of bowfishing specifically, there should certainly be some sort of "season," just as there is a season for deer, duck, or any other game. These seasons would either be built around the spawn of certain species or simply prevent anyone from bowfishing during the spawn.

On to the topic of waste that inevitably comes up during these discussions, this crime should get much more enforcement and punishment than it does now. Whether you be a hook and line angler or bowfisherman, there is simply no excuse to dump your catch or your trash anywhere. As stated above, you must be prepared to consume whatever you take, and no, you are not "chumming" with your boatload of alligator gar and buffalo, nor are you "consuming" when you're using a (whole) fish as fertilizer. There are other, and better, options for both. Just imagine, for a second, that someone took a deer legally, dug a hole, and buried the entire thing - meat, skin, and all - as fertilizer. Surely you'd be fuming. Fish are no different. It's not unreasonable to eat the meat then use the remains as fertilizer. It should go without saying that we never waste something with potential use, and there should be clear and reasonable priorities/requirements for use much like the ones I've stated above.

For those who enjoy taking boatloads of fish... for both bowfishing and hook and line, we should encourage the taking of invasive species from our waters. No limits on size or amount when it comes to invasive fish, as long as one has taken a short one-time class on how to properly identify the species both in and out of the water. On the topic of classes, we've got "hunter's education," so why not "fisherman's education?"

I'm not against the sport of bowfishing, but I personally can't give the same amount of respect to a bowfisherman that shoots an 80lb buffalo as I can to an angler that hooks an 80lb buffalo and lands it. We should still be able to do both of these things, and for fish that cannot be landed by any other means (paddlefish), snagging and bowfishing should certainly be an option (once populations recover). We need to understand that rules are in place for a reason, and that we shouldn't follow them just because we're supposed to or even argue about whether or not literal or implied interpretations are correct. We should understand that we are managing a natural resource, and representing our sport in whatever we do concerning it. If we still want there to be fish, and still be able to fish for them, we should be responsible, reasonable, and most importantly, honest.

10000000% agree with the seasons. As a hard core gar fisherman, I enjoy taking home some gar to eat. Kinda hard when the majority of ‘em are scattered around the banks with puncture wounds. Especially alligator gar, these species, depending on the circumstances, have a longer growth period and reproduction period which makes keeping a stable population difficult at times.

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12627212 02/14/18 01:47 PM
B
bluesea112 Offline
Angler
Angler
B
I run bowfishing trips on my airboat, and I am the guide who has a list of people who will take all the carp and buffalo I give them if my customers don't want them. I have seen the rotting fish from guides who toss the fish in the water after pictures are taken at the boat ramp. That makes me mad. If you ever see a guide or anybody else do that, then call the game warden immediately.

As long as I am here I might as well get a plug in. My guided bowfishing trips are on the Brazos River, $125/Person with 2 person minimum. Trips start at sundown and last 4 hours. I supply everything you need. Once you take a trip in a 400hp airboat, bass boats will seem boring. (817) 929-7636 - Charles

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12637068 02/20/18 02:16 PM
J
Jake Blood Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
J
I think we all have our opinions on what is fair and not fair and even what people do with the fish they catch legally... so I will reserve my opinion on that aspect... but this is ridiculous. These were left right on the boat ramp. I had to move them to back my boat down to the water. So you didn't want your fish, I get it.. dump them somewhere where it is not someone else's problem to care for. All of these fish were hunted with a bow.

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? [Re: Jake Blood] #12638676 02/21/18 06:59 AM
T
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: Jake Blood
I think we all have our opinions on what is fair and not fair and even what people do with the fish they catch legally... so I will reserve my opinion on that aspect... but this is ridiculous. These were left right on the boat ramp. I had to move them to back my boat down to the water. So you didn't want your fish, I get it.. dump them somewhere where it is not someone else's problem to care for. All of these fish were hunted with a bow.

Alternatively, if you don't want your fish, don't kill it. It isn't just an inconvenience to others by dumping it (whether on the ramp or in the middle of nowhere), it's illegal.

Catch and release. The dream - to catch one of every species of Freshwater fish in our great state! If only I can resist Carp...
[Linked Image]
Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12638837 02/21/18 01:35 PM
B
BMART Offline
Angler
Angler
B
The idiots that dump and cause a nuisance should be dealt with, hope the warden get these deplorables

If it's legal ain't no way in hell it's catch and release, it's CATCH & GREASE, except ROUGH (TRASH) Fish
Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12639034 02/21/18 03:27 PM
Jimbo Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
When I hear and see something like that, it's seems like someone probably did it that has an agenda.
The penalties for doing something like that need to be more severe.

Just one more cast!

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12639168 02/21/18 04:43 PM
J
JIM SR. Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
I think there's bow fishing, and then there's bow killing.
all the differences are posted above.. bow killing is not good.
realmad

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? [Re: Max_S] #12641741 02/22/18 09:23 PM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: Max_S
Originally Posted By: uncle_bagster

The next time I feel inclined to keep a carp, I may try pickling the fillets. Done right, the vinegar breaks down the bones.

When I was a kid, our neighbor was a commercial fisherman...they took the carp, gutted them, cut their heads off, put them in a pressure cooker, and canned them in pint jars...made salmon croquettes out of them...better than salmon croquettes made from salmon. Carp are excellent table fare prepared this way. Buffalo rib meat is fantastic eating, as well....

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12641790 02/22/18 09:45 PM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Almost forgot to give my opinion on bowfishing...with the demise of commercial fishing on most, if not all of the fresh water lakes, it seems bow fishing fulfills a need to reduce the number of roughfish in a given body of water. If you have ever spent any time speaking with a commercial fisherman, you will understand that over regulation by the TPW was a primary element in the demise of commercial fishing. Therefore, I could not in good conscience support more restrictive regulations on the sport of bow fishing, lest I would partly to blame for destroying a needed service of reducing the rough fish population within our lakes. I do however believe that those who engage in the practice should learn to utilize the resources they have taken, even if they give them to a soup kitchen...

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? [Re: crapicat] #12642150 02/23/18 01:25 AM
T
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: crapicat
Almost forgot to give my opinion on bowfishing...with the demise of commercial fishing on most, if not all of the fresh water lakes, it seems bow fishing fulfills a need to reduce the number of roughfish in a given body of water. If you have ever spent any time speaking with a commercial fisherman, you will understand that over regulation by the TPW was a primary element in the demise of commercial fishing. Therefore, I could not in good conscience support more restrictive regulations on the sport of bow fishing, lest I would partly to blame for destroying a needed service of reducing the rough fish population within our lakes. I do however believe that those who engage in the practice should learn to utilize the resources they have taken, even if they give them to a soup kitchen...

Rough fish are a necessary part of the ecosystem. Baby carp provide excellent forage for bass, and studies have shown that the bass are better off with carp than without. Of course, that's just one example, though there are plenty.

[Linked Image]
Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12642221 02/23/18 01:55 AM
Notaguide Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Kill all the grass carp you can

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide