I have a question on the Current rules and regulations for getting a trailer registered. Looking for feedback from people who have done this recently in the past couple years (because I've heard they are becoming more strict). I have been through this process before, but was 7 years ago or more. Here are the particulars:
* I am purchasing an oldish trailer.
* Assume this is a home-made trailer (no VINs anywhere on the trailer)
* It is less than 4,500 lbs (no title is required for the trailer).
* Two scenarios: First - the trailer has no plates and not registered in the owners name. Second scenario - assume it does have plates and registered in the owners name.
* This will be in Williamson County if that matters
Are there any roadblocks that would prevent me from getting this trailer registered in my name? I have read the Tax Assessor guidelines, but they are not real clear on what are big issues that would block me from getting it registered. I understand I have to go get it inspected for potential theft, but concerned on the prior owner registration issue, assume they don't have one.https://www.wilco.org/Elected-Officials/Tax-Assessor-Collector/Motor-Vehicle/Trailers
What has been your first-hand experience on the process?