Forums59
Topics1,039,947
Posts13,972,969
Members144,225
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 9 of 18 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 17 18
Re: Mental evaluation for Gun Purchase [Re: MBradford] #12635160 02/19/18 03:01 PM
F
Fishin' Nut Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
F
Originally Posted By: MBradford
One of the first things Trump did when he took office was sign a bill (H.J. Resolution 40) that reversed an Obama-era regulation that made it harder for people with mental illness to buy a gun.

Perhaps it's time to revisit that decision.

That regulation stated that anyone who received SS disability and required assistance to manage their finances, were automatically disqualified from purchasing a gun. No medical evaluation required. The government decided who does and does not have the right to purchase a weapon. Even the ACLU sued to get this regulation over turned. By reversing that order, an estimated 89,000 US citizens had their 2A rights restored.

Originally Posted by OTFF
He is truly a sick individual.
Re: Mental evaluation for Gun Purchase [Re: KQT] #12635165 02/19/18 03:05 PM
F
Fishin' Nut Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
F
Originally Posted By: KQT
I have been a teacher/coach for30 years and I will tell you if teachers carried I would run out the front door. I trust myself but it ends there. I know this will upset some but when we allowed simiautomatic weapon sales we screwed up. I enjoy shooting guns and have had a blast shooting assault weapons but I would gladly give that up if there was a way to remove them. Second amendment fanatics may not understand why we were allowed to have guns. In 1789 if the government abused the people the people had aright to overthrow the tyrinacle government. That simply cant happen today.

No, but time and again the local, state, and federal governments have repeatedly shown they cannot protect it citizens during times of natural disaster. Most recent proof were Hurricane Harvey victims. How many people had to protect their property from looters because of inadequate police protection?

Originally Posted by OTFF
He is truly a sick individual.
Re: Mental evaluation for Gun Purchase [Re: Fishin' Nut] #12635179 02/19/18 03:15 PM
Bigbob_FTW Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Originally Posted By: Fishin' Nut
One of the first things Trump did when he took office was sign a bill (H.J. Resolution 40) that reversed an Obama-era regulation that made it harder for people with mental illness to buy a gun.

That regulation stated that anyone who received SS disability and required assistance to manage their finances, were automatically disqualified from purchasing a gun. No medical evaluation required. The government decided who does and does not have the right to purchase a weapon. Even the ACLU sued to get this regulation over turned. By reversing that order, an estimated 89,000 US citizens had their 2A rights restored.

but let's not introduce simple facts to this discussion.

[Linked Image][Linked Image] FJB
Re: Mental evaluation for Gun Purchase [Re: soggybottom] #12635197 02/19/18 03:25 PM
Duck_Hunter Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: soggybottom
Originally Posted By: Duck_Hunter
there should be no barrier to gun ownership. If it is a constitutional right to bear arms then you have no right to impede it. That includes people in nursing homes, psyche wards, hospitals, or even the mentally handicapped. If this is the way we are going to interpret the 2nd amendment as an INALIENABLE right then this is the way it should be.

Every time. Every single time this topic comes up, we can count on Soggybottom to be disengenuous.

Im not being disingenuous. I am using one sides arguments against them in an honest debate. I am so tired of the hypocrisy of the gun argument that there can be no give on anything then lets go to the absurd contusion of that side of the debate.

The thread is about mental illness and gun ownership. I dont remember anyone advocating for those in a psyche ward or truly mentally handicapped people owning guns. Thats an unfair assertion.

The premise of the OP is what I have a problem with. Disagreeing that there should be a test on mental competency in order to own a firearm is different than believeing or arguing that every person - particularly those who are patients in psyche wards - should own guns.

Its just not the same. I have said this guy should have never owned a gun. The FBI should have actually investigated. There were signs this guy was a danger and that he shouldnt own guns. OP says we should have to past a mental test to purchase a gun.

But youre accusing everyone that disagrees with that of wanting to arm psyche patients. That is not using one sides argument against them at all, and it certainly isnt doing it in an honest way.

[Linked Image]
Re: Mental evaluation for Gun Purchase [Re: donothin] #12635208 02/19/18 03:32 PM
B
Bass&More Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
If you have ever thought about or took a trip down a homemade slip and slide ? you should not be able to have or own a gun.popcorn peep

Last edited by Bass&More; 02/19/18 03:46 PM.
Re: Mental evaluation for Gun Purchase [Re: donothin] #12635226 02/19/18 03:39 PM
Alumacraft 14 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
"the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

What is so hard to understand about that?

Most American have been so dumb down that understanding a simple sentence is hard for them. Government can't even run the post office, it is in 20 trillion dollars worth of debt, but you folks have faith that they and only they can stop mass murder's by removing our rights? Fooking idiots...

Mass murders happen. No law will stop them. Bad guys don't follow laws. There is no fix to this.

Re: Mental evaluation for Gun Purchase [Re: Alumacraft 14] #12635234 02/19/18 03:44 PM
Ghost4BH Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Alumacraft 14
"the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

Most American have been so dumb down that understanding a simple sentence is hard for them. Government can't even run the post office, it is in 20 trillion dollars worth of debt, but you folks have faith that they and only they can stop mass murder's by removing our rights? Fooking idiots...

Mass murders happen. No law will stop them. Bad guys don't follow laws. There is no fix to this.

You are correct but the people who cant figure this out think hugs and talking about ones feelings will stop people from doing evil acts.

Re: Mental evaluation for Gun Purchase [Re: RayBob] #12635235 02/19/18 03:44 PM
R
RayBob Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
R
Originally Posted By: RayBob
How about this:

If you are seeing or have seen a medical professional AND have been diagnosed with a mental disorder or are taking psychotropic drugs for the treatment of a mental disorder, as outlined by DMS coding you may not purchase or possess a firearm until cleared by 2 consenting mental health professionals.

As far as Constitutional Rights , well yes it can. Once one is deemed "healed" then they may exercise their rights under the 2A. Otherwise they are not fit to participate in 2A. Happens all the time. Felons lose rights. These mental ill would not be able to fully participate in militia activities.

As noted by others the US has lots of diagnostic resources.

I posted this earlier and it was only a spur of the moment outline with plenty of add and subtract room.

Advice? Wise men don't need it. Fools won't heed it.

Re: Mental evaluation for Gun Purchase [Re: Fishin' Nut] #12635236 02/19/18 03:45 PM
M
MBradford Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
M

The regulation stated that anyone who received SS disability due to mental illness and required assistance to manage their finances, were disqualified.

[Linked Image]
Re: Mental evaluation for Gun Purchase [Re: Fishin' Nut] #12635243 02/19/18 03:50 PM
R
RayBob Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
R
Originally Posted By: KQT
I have been a teacher/coach for30 years and I will tell you if teachers carried I would run out the front door. I trust myself but it ends there. I know this will upset some but when we allowed simiautomatic weapon sales we screwed up. I enjoy shooting guns and have had a blast shooting assault weapons but I would gladly give that up if there was a way to remove them. Second amendment fanatics may not understand why we were allowed to have guns. In 1789 if the government abused the people the people had aright to overthrow the tyrinacle government. That simply cant happen today.

No, but time and again the local, state, and federal governments have repeatedly shown they cannot protect it citizens during times of natural disaster. Most recent proof were Hurricane Harvey victims. How many people had to protect their property from looters because of inadequate police protection?

As stated earlier law enforcement has no legal obligation to protect you or your property. Multiple SCOTUS cases have decided this. There are lots of cases throughout the US history of individuals banding together for mutual and/or individual protections. example: The Rodney King riots in LS and Little Korea business owners vigilantly protecting their stores. They didn't burn.

Re: Mental evaluation for Gun Purchase [Re: donothin] #12635244 02/19/18 03:50 PM
S
swalker9513 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
Quote:
There were signs this guy was a danger and that he shouldnt own guns.

I can think of a few OTers that fit this description.

Re: Mental evaluation for Gun Purchase [Re: donothin] #12635246 02/19/18 03:52 PM
R
ReelBusy Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
R

Re: Mental evaluation for Gun Purchase [Re: swalker9513] #12635247 02/19/18 03:52 PM
R
RayBob Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
R
Originally Posted By: swalker9513
Quote:
There were signs this guy was a danger and that he shouldnt own guns.

I can think of a few OTers that fit this description.

Names/suggestions please popcorn

Re: Mental evaluation for Gun Purchase [Re: Duck_Hunter] #12635254 02/19/18 03:55 PM
S
soggybottom Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
there should be no barrier to gun ownership. If it is a constitutional right to bear arms then you have no right to impede it. That includes people in nursing homes, psyche wards, hospitals, or even the mentally handicapped. If this is the way we are going to interpret the 2nd amendment as an INALIENABLE right then this is the way it should be.

Every time. Every single time this topic comes up, we can count on Soggybottom to be disengenuous.

Im not being disingenuous. I am using one sides arguments against them in an honest debate. I am so tired of the hypocrisy of the gun argument that there can be no give on anything then lets go to the absurd contusion of that side of the debate.

The thread is about mental illness and gun ownership. I dont remember anyone advocating for those in a psyche ward or truly mentally handicapped people owning guns. Thats an unfair assertion.

The premise of the OP is what I have a problem with. Disagreeing that there should be a test on mental competency in order to own a firearm is different than believeing or arguing that every person - particularly those who are patients in psyche wards - should own guns.

Its just not the same. I have said this guy should have never owned a gun. The FBI should have actually investigated. There were signs this guy was a danger and that he shouldnt own guns. OP says we should have to past a mental test to purchase a gun.

But youre accusing everyone that disagrees with that of wanting to arm psyche patients. That is not using one sides argument against them at all, and it certainly isnt doing it in an honest way.

the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

this is what I am talking about. Duck hunter. You may not be going there but LOTS of others are. LOTS of people believe there is a constitutional right to have whatever weapon they choose and that CANNOT be infringed.

pledge= fishstick
Re: Mental evaluation for Gun Purchase [Re: MBradford] #12635257 02/19/18 03:55 PM
B
Bass&More Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B

The regulation stated that anyone who received SS disability due to mental illness and required assistance to manage their finances, were disqualified.

popcorn2 peep

Page 9 of 18 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 17 18
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide