Forums59
Topics1,039,218
Posts13,961,133
Members144,196
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 7 of 18 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 17 18
Re: Mental evaluation for Gun Purchase [Re: donothin] #12634730 02/19/18 03:31 AM
K
KingwoodCat Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
Originally Posted By: donothin
Hope this stays civil so it doesn't end up in bunker. What should be used to evaluate a person's stability for purchasing firearms? It seems that most agree that should be considered. Can it be done without walking all over one's constitutional rights?

The FBI was given warning signs and did nothing. Planned Parenthood kills an average of 880 babies a day and no one says squat. Im not sure where you get most would agree from.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a look at the American Indian".

Henry Ford
Re: Mental evaluation for Gun Purchase [Re: Duck_Hunter] #12634737 02/19/18 03:34 AM
donothin Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted By: Duck_Hunter
Originally Posted By: LoneStarSon
I wonder if there could be a rule put into place where a person would have to have 2 living relatives that have known them at least 10 years to sign an affidavit confirming their mental capacity before being able to purchase certain firearms.

At least that is a thoughtful idea and one that may actually have merit. The fact that we have seen so few suggestions is an indication of how difficult it will be to screen on the basis of mental stability.

You are acting like your question was relevant, well-worded and that anyone agrees with its premise.

What you just said is beyond me.

As more and more info comes out about the shooter, nothing says he shouldve had access to guns. He was obviously crazy to anyone that spent any amount of time with him, except, apparently, the people he was living with the last three months, but they come off as not wanting any blame.

"Nothing says he should've had access to guns." That is not the way it works. It would have to say he should not have access to guns.

I seriously doubt that if the FBI had investigated as they should have done, they would have found evidence to take his guns away. I has to be pretty tangible evidence.

Quote:
The night before the massacre seemed just like any other, they said.

Cruz had some odd eating habits. He quietly put a chocolate chip cookie in his steak and cheese sandwich. He went to bed around 8 p.m., which wasnt unusual.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/browar...0217-story.html

Nothing was done and plenty couldve been done.

Lets start with enforcing the rules on the books before we start making up reasons to restrict the rights of everyone else.

Re: Mental evaluation for Gun Purchase [Re: donothin] #12634801 02/19/18 04:10 AM
Duck_Hunter Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Your premise is not something I agree with.

You seriously doubting something doesnt make it true. The FBI and the sheriffs department couldve done more. The school wouldnt let him bring a backpack to school.

Authorities missed big time. You just seem hellbent on adding new laws when laws were already in place and they did nothing.

[Linked Image]
Re: Mental evaluation for Gun Purchase [Re: donothin] #12634802 02/19/18 04:10 AM
921 Phoenix Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: KQT
I have been a teacher/coach for30 years and I will tell you if teachers carried I would run out the front door. I trust myself but it ends there. I know this will upset some but when we allowed simiautomatic weapon sales we screwed up. I enjoy shooting guns and have had a blast shooting assault weapons but I would gladly give that up if there was a way to remove them. Second amendment fanatics may not understand why we were allowed to have guns. In 1789 if the government abused the people the people had aright to overthrow the tyrinacle government. That simply cant happen today.

Finally someone who actually understands. Thanks.

not really first automatic hand guns which most understand as semiautomatic, were produced in 1890's. AR's have never been fully automatic to the public. AR 15 are no different then any other semi auto gun except they can hold more rounds. The BAR is a semi auto rifle that has been sold since the early 1900. I think the first were WW1, also as is a ton of other rifles. I will say it again a pump shotgun with a 40 round clip will do much more damage then any AR 15 in close quarters. People should be glad he didn't go through that same hall way with a shotgun with 40 rounds of buckshot and killed 50 people in just a short time.

Their is not going to be gun grab in this day in age in the USA with us having the right to own them. They were band in the 90's and we still didn't give them up. I guess until people decide they want to come up with a good answer we will just keep on arguing over this. We have rights that most will not give up so people can deceive them selves into believing taking guns will stop evil people.

Last edited by 921 Phoenix; 02/19/18 04:13 AM.
Re: Mental evaluation for Gun Purchase [Re: KQT] #12634814 02/19/18 04:19 AM
M
Mckinneycrappiecatcher Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
M
Originally Posted By: KQT
I have been a teacher/coach for30 years and I will tell you if teachers carried I would run out the front door. I trust myself but it ends there. I know this will upset some but when we allowed simiautomatic weapon sales we screwed up. I enjoy shooting guns and have had a blast shooting assault weapons but I would gladly give that up if there was a way to remove them. Second amendment fanatics may not understand why we were allowed to have guns. In 1789 if the government abused the people the people had aright to overthrow the tyrinacle government. That simply cant happen today.
the main purpose of the second amendment is no self protection but designed so that the American people have access to arms similar to that of the government so we have the means to fight back in the case the government becomes tyrannical, I dont believe our government is safe in the sense of it cant become tyrannical, because it certainly can, and I dont think any true constitutionalist American would like to be fighting that government which has access to assault weapons with knives and sticks. The reality is, the second amendment is here to stay, and so are the assault weapons. There is no logical way to ramp up mental health screening without greatly compromising the rights of Americans and the government crossing the boundary of interference in our lives

Re: Mental evaluation for Gun Purchase [Re: 921 Phoenix] #12634823 02/19/18 04:26 AM
S
Scagnetti Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted By: 921 Phoenix
You want to stop them do like they do in Israel, train people to guard the kids. Israel people live under a constant threat and know what to do. They all know how to use a actual automatic rifle, and not a semi auto AR 15, from when they were in the military. You stop the evil force with a bigger force.

I know this doesn't sit well with our Liberal friends but know one knows threats like the Jewish people do every day.

Israeli people will never give up their guns either. They know they need them to protect their families. I guess only a fool gives up his or her right to protect them selves to someone promising they will always take care of you. That lie has been told every time right before countries lost all their rights.

Population of Israel: 8,819,200
Population of USA: 325,719,178

Area of Israel: 8,522 sq mi
Area of USA: 3,796,742 sq mi

Passenger Airports in Israel: 16
Passenger Airports in USA: 5,194

It is patently absurd to take the Israeli approach to security and think you can apply it to the USA. The mere size, scope, and cost to implement such a plan would be astronomical and destined for failure

[Linked Image]

Re: Mental evaluation for Gun Purchase [Re: Scagnetti] #12634830 02/19/18 04:39 AM
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Scagnetti
You want to stop them do like they do in Israel, train people to guard the kids. Israel people live under a constant threat and know what to do. They all know how to use a actual automatic rifle, and not a semi auto AR 15, from when they were in the military. You stop the evil force with a bigger force.

I know this doesn't sit well with our Liberal friends but know one knows threats like the Jewish people do every day.

Israeli people will never give up their guns either. They know they need them to protect their families. I guess only a fool gives up his or her right to protect them selves to someone promising they will always take care of you. That lie has been told every time right before countries lost all their rights.

It is patently absurd to take the Israeli approach to security and think you can apply it to the USA. The mere size, scope, and cost to implement such a plan would be astronomical and destined for failure

Thats stupid if we want to it would not be hard at all. they use the people who are already there. they know what is at stake. I guess we can just say we CAN'T do it and let them kill more. We could take just a little of the money we give away every year and fund it. We already have armed security had airports. We only need a few of those guys at the schools. not hard if we want to try something instead of writing in a post we CAn'T we CAn't We can't

Re: Mental evaluation for Gun Purchase [Re: donothin] #12634831 02/19/18 04:40 AM
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
They are called TSA LOL I guess you haven't been in airport in the USA in about 20 years.

Re: Mental evaluation for Gun Purchase [Re: donothin] #12634833 02/19/18 04:42 AM
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
The TSA is already trained in what to watch for and are already in most all towns just hire a few more and put in schools.

Re: Mental evaluation for Gun Purchase [Re: donothin] #12634840 02/19/18 04:51 AM
Alumacraft 14 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Freedom isn't free folks.

Sh*t happens, taking guns away from crazy folks won't fix it. Plenty of ways to kill folks without using a gun.

As Americans we let the government go to far with gun registration and license. Now you have to take a mental test? No.

Re: Mental evaluation for Gun Purchase [Re: 921 Phoenix] #12634847 02/19/18 04:59 AM
S
Scagnetti Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S

Thats stupid if we want to it would not be hard at all. they use the people who are already there. they know what is at stake. I guess we can just say we CAN'T do it and let them kill more. We could take just a little of the money we give away every year and fund it. We already have armed security had airports. We only need a few of those guys at the schools. not hard if we want to try something instead of writing in a post we CAn'T we CAn't We can't

More government, higher taxes, more regulation, more bureaucracy, yeah that always fixes everything

[Linked Image]

Re: Mental evaluation for Gun Purchase [Re: Scagnetti] #12634854 02/19/18 05:06 AM
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru

More government, higher taxes, more regulation, more bureaucracy, yeah that always fixes everything

TSA is already here no body said anything about higher taxes said take money we give to third world countries and use that here, No one said anything about more regulation just putting guards in place to protect kids.

I guess if you can't get the guns you aren't worried about the kids

Re: Mental evaluation for Gun Purchase [Re: donothin] #12634965 02/19/18 12:29 PM
T
Tallgrass05 Offline
bill maher's protege
bill maher's protege
T

Re: Mental evaluation for Gun Purchase [Re: Tallgrass05] #12635056 02/19/18 02:03 PM
donothin Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted By: Tallgrass05

Please avoid confusing facts.

Re: Mental evaluation for Gun Purchase [Re: Tallgrass05] #12635073 02/19/18 02:15 PM
Bigbob_FTW Offline
Big Sprocket Bob
Big Sprocket Bob

[Linked Image][Linked Image] FJB
Page 7 of 18 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 17 18
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide