Forums59
Topics1,039,320
Posts13,962,817
Members144,199
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 6 of 18 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 17 18
Re: Mental evaluation for Gun Purchase [Re: JCBfromTHF] #12634373 02/18/18 10:41 PM
L
LoneStarSon Online Content
Private Dancer
Online Content
Private Dancer
L
Originally Posted By: JCBfromTHF
Well while we are assaulting ones right to own a firearm, can we go after ones right to vote as well?? I mean I think you should be free and clear of mental issues if you are going to make decisions that will affect everyone elses freedoms. We cant even get a voter ID law passed on that though. roflmao
I support this idea. thumb

Re: Mental evaluation for Gun Purchase [Re: fishslime] #12634380 02/18/18 10:47 PM
M
Mckinneycrappiecatcher Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
M
Originally Posted By: fishslime
I think anyone who has sought/treated for mental issues or has blemishes of any kind on their record especially under the age of 21 should be reviewed. This guy had been expelled from school - that would be a blemish to me. Being expelled from school these days takes a lot. I also think some kind of controls should be put on the ability to purchase a gun under the age of 21 - gun training/safety class requirements, grant probationary licenses that must be under supervision/permission of parents or guardians, etc. After all, drinking age is 21 and teen drivers must go through a probationary period before getting a license. Guns should no be any different in my mind.

The Florida shooting may be the straw that broke the camel's back on this issue - it is becoming a too common occurrence. If young people and mothers mobilize, there will be some changes made if they put pressure on the right people.
except for the fact that driving is a privelage and gun ownership is a right. Drinking is a privelage, and again, gun ownership is a right.......so, I respectfully disagree, rights have to be very very carefully dealt with. Part of me believes requiring a license to carry is even a bit overreaching.

Re: Mental evaluation for Gun Purchase [Re: LoneStarSon] #12634558 02/19/18 01:42 AM
donothin Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted By: LoneStarSon
I wonder if there could be a rule put into place where a person would have to have 2 living relatives that have known them at least 10 years to sign an affidavit confirming their mental capacity before being able to purchase certain firearms.

At least that is a thoughtful idea and one that may actually have merit. The fact that we have seen so few suggestions is an indication of how difficult it will be to screen on the basis of mental stability.

Re: Mental evaluation for Gun Purchase [Re: deerfeeder] #12634596 02/19/18 02:05 AM
F
Flooringit Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Originally Posted By: deerfeeder
I wonder if maybe people who don't like guns, are afraid of guns, or don't want other people to have guns should be the ones that need to have the examination?

Im not a gun guy. But that doesnt make me think everyone shouldnt own one. Im not
Scared of them either. I have owned some for hunting. Why would I need a examination ? Own S many guns S you like, just dont punish me cause I dont like what you do

2013 Phoenix 920xp
Re: Mental evaluation for Gun Purchase [Re: donothin] #12634648 02/19/18 02:37 AM
921 Phoenix Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
will you be able to correctly evaluate every single person so their is never another murder? The really evil people like the nut in Florida can pass these test. The people he lived with say they had no clue he was like this. Ted Bundy got his law degree and no one knew how evil he was. Ted work for people running for office along with other jobs in society. Hitler got millions to follow him till it was to late. I guess my point all things we can put in place can still be flawed. The person doing the test may not all be good tester and let bad people through that want to do evil.

Yes we have a problem taking guns and test have never stop evil people before. Their is only one thing that has ever stop evil people willing to do harm, that is good people willing to stand up and stop them with guns. Thats how Ted, Hitler and others were eventually taken down.

So to end until someone can figure out how to spot the next Ted Bundy or Hitler then this will never work.

You want to stop them do like they do in Israel, train people to guard the kids. Israel people live under a constant threat and know what to do. They all know how to use a actual automatic rifle, and not a semi auto AR 15, from when they were in the military. You stop the evil force with a bigger force.

I know this doesn't sit well with our Liberal friends but know one knows threats like the Jewish people do every day.

Israeli people will never give up their guns either. They know they need them to protect their families. I guess only a fool gives up his or her right to protect them selves to someone promising they will always take care of you. That lie has been told every time right before countries lost all their rights. I hate to say it but as the older folks keep dying off their won't be enough left to fight this and the younger people who know nothing about protecting them selves will wake up one day to have all their rights gone, because they wouldn't listen to us old right wing nuts who grew up with Grand dads that did fight in the great War and knew of the lives lost so the left can try and ruin the country they fought so hard for. Theses arguments would not have happen 30 years ago.

Re: Mental evaluation for Gun Purchase [Re: Scagnetti] #12634653 02/19/18 02:41 AM
P
patriot07 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
P
Originally Posted By: Scagnetti
The United States has MORE mental health professionals, MORE sources to assist the mentally disabled, MORE protocols in place to identify people with mental health problems, spend MORE money on treating mental health issues, THAN ANY OTHER COUNTRY similar to us.

Yet, those other countries don't have any where near the number of mass shootings that the United States does.

So if you think mental health is the issue, have at it.

Your point speaks to the obscenely expensive nature of the healthcare industry in this country.

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.
- Soren Kierkegaard
Re: Mental evaluation for Gun Purchase [Re: donothin] #12634661 02/19/18 02:43 AM
Notaguide Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
If the average American had to pass a mental health test for just about anything Im convinced at least 75% of yall would be strapped to a bed.

Re: Mental evaluation for Gun Purchase [Re: Mckinneycrappiecatcher] #12634664 02/19/18 02:45 AM
P
patriot07 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
P
Originally Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher
This is a very tricky subject as the reality is that as soon as we make mental health exceptions that are more easily enforced it broadens the power of the government to limit the sale of weapons and restricts the liberties of individuals. However, chastise me if you want, but unless you have made a terroristic type threat and are placed on a watch list that logistically limits your rights, I find it unconstitutional for the government to limit the rights of those who have mental health issues if they havent formally committed a crime. I refuse to give up even an inch of constitutional rights in the name of safety, and I dont see a way to screen people for mental illness that doesnt come dangerously close to violating someones rights.
You give up constitutional rights in the name of safety every day. It's just a question of whether we're going to stop giving semi-automatic weapons to crazy people or if we want to keep being stupid.

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.
- Soren Kierkegaard
Re: Mental evaluation for Gun Purchase [Re: Notaguide] #12634675 02/19/18 02:55 AM
donothin Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted By: Notaguide
If the average American had to pass a mental health test for just about anything Im convinced at least 75% of yall would be strapped to a bed.

Lol, interesting thought.

Re: Mental evaluation for Gun Purchase [Re: patriot07] #12634683 02/19/18 03:05 AM
M
Mckinneycrappiecatcher Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
M
Originally Posted By: patriot07
Originally Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher
This is a very tricky subject as the reality is that as soon as we make mental health exceptions that are more easily enforced it broadens the power of the government to limit the sale of weapons and restricts the liberties of individuals. However, chastise me if you want, but unless you have made a terroristic type threat and are placed on a watch list that logistically limits your rights, I find it unconstitutional for the government to limit the rights of those who have mental health issues if they havent formally committed a crime. I refuse to give up even an inch of constitutional rights in the name of safety, and I dont see a way to screen people for mental illness that doesnt come dangerously close to violating someones rights.
You give up constitutional rights in the name of safety every day. It's just a question of whether we're going to stop giving semi-automatic weapons to crazy people or if we want to keep being stupid.
and I would agree with you, we as people have allowed governing authorities to take away too many of those rights to keep us safe, however, I would rather them not be allowed to decide who gets rights, whether it be voting, bearing arms, right to life, etc. based on our own personal private medical information.

Re: Mental evaluation for Gun Purchase [Re: GROD] #12634684 02/19/18 03:05 AM
K
KQT Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
I have been a teacher/coach for30 years and I will tell you if teachers carried I would run out the front door. I trust myself but it ends there. I know this will upset some but when we allowed simiautomatic weapon sales we screwed up. I enjoy shooting guns and have had a blast shooting assault weapons but I would gladly give that up if there was a way to remove them. Second amendment fanatics may not understand why we were allowed to have guns. In 1789 if the government abused the people the people had aright to overthrow the tyrinacle government. That simply cant happen today.

Common carp 26
Goldfish 9.78lb
Mirror Koi 14lb
Koi 16lb
Channel Catfish 26lbs
Blue Cat 30lb
Bass 9.5lb
Re: Mental evaluation for Gun Purchase [Re: donothin] #12634685 02/19/18 03:06 AM
M
MBradford Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
M
One of the first things Trump did when he took office was sign a bill (H.J. Resolution 40) that reversed an Obama-era regulation that made it harder for people with mental illness to buy a gun.

Perhaps it's time to revisit that decision.

[Linked Image]
Re: Mental evaluation for Gun Purchase [Re: donothin] #12634689 02/19/18 03:09 AM
Duck_Hunter Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: donothin
Originally Posted By: LoneStarSon
I wonder if there could be a rule put into place where a person would have to have 2 living relatives that have known them at least 10 years to sign an affidavit confirming their mental capacity before being able to purchase certain firearms.

At least that is a thoughtful idea and one that may actually have merit. The fact that we have seen so few suggestions is an indication of how difficult it will be to screen on the basis of mental stability.

You are acting like your question was relevant, well-worded and that anyone agrees with its premise.

As more and more info comes out about the shooter, nothing says he shouldve had access to guns. He was obviously crazy to anyone that spent any amount of time with him, except, apparently, the people he was living with the last three months, but they come off as not wanting any blame.

Quote:
The night before the massacre seemed just like any other, they said.

Cruz had some odd eating habits. He quietly put a chocolate chip cookie in his steak and cheese sandwich. He went to bed around 8 p.m., which wasnt unusual.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/browar...0217-story.html

Nothing was done and plenty couldve been done.

Lets start with enforcing the rules on the books before we start making up reasons to restrict the rights of everyone else.

[Linked Image]
Re: Mental evaluation for Gun Purchase [Re: KQT] #12634718 02/19/18 03:24 AM
donothin Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted By: KQT
I have been a teacher/coach for30 years and I will tell you if teachers carried I would run out the front door. I trust myself but it ends there. I know this will upset some but when we allowed simiautomatic weapon sales we screwed up. I enjoy shooting guns and have had a blast shooting assault weapons but I would gladly give that up if there was a way to remove them. Second amendment fanatics may not understand why we were allowed to have guns. In 1789 if the government abused the people the people had aright to overthrow the tyrinacle government. That simply cant happen today.

Finally someone who actually understands. Thanks.

Re: Mental evaluation for Gun Purchase [Re: donothin] #12634722 02/19/18 03:27 AM
Duck_Hunter Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Understands what? Your view point that you havent really explained in this thread?

[Linked Image]
Page 6 of 18 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 17 18
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide