Print Thread
Whisker Seeker ROD REVIEW #12631827 02/16/18 10:54 PM
S
Smoky Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
S
I posted last week looking for advice concerning the Whisker Seeker rods. I was able to use a couple of the Heavy versions paird with Abu 6500 trophy reels. I would like to start off by saying this rod is a very nice rod, I believe it would be a great rod for a lot of people! However after using it, it's just not quite what im looking for!

The good:
Lightweight: If you were using these rods with punch bait or something where you had to hold the rod for long periods of time the S-glass composite construction makes for an ultra light nice feeling rod!

Eye Appeal/Color: The black and orange combo is very sharp! Most people could care less, but its nice to have a rod thats easy on the eyes.The orange really glows at night under the lights!

Action: Great action, if your looking for a rod that has plenty of bend with a 5-10 pound fish but can still bring in the occasional big fish this is a good choice! Cast 2-4 ounces of weight great...

The bad:

ACTION: I dont have a lot of bad to say about the rod, its not what I was looking for but doesnt mean that its not the perfect rod for some! Like mentioned above, this is a perfect rod for those wanting to feel the fight of smaller fish and still feel confident the could land a trophy (occasionally)! Even though I was using the Heavy action I dont feel its geared toward constantly catching trophy fish, I could not see myself fishing heavy timber with confidence to horse a 50+ pound fish out of the junk.

Price:
I feel like for the $ ($85+shipping) this rod is missing a few key componens that other "catfish" rods in this price range are not! Like locking aluminum reel seats & stainless steel eyes. This rod does however come with a great warranty.

Overall:
I feel like this rod is almost identical to the ProAngler rod. They are very similar in action & backbone. The Whisker Seeker is almost twice the price without any more features other than "S-glass composite" and the warranty.

Check out this link to a quick clip of a 12pound fish taking down the Whisker Seeker Rod (Hit that like button)!!!

I'm gonna miss her....

Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: Whisker Seeker ROD REVIEW [Re: Smoky] #12631921 02/16/18 11:46 PM
J
J Lowe Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
J
You act like you catch 50lb+ fish every time you go out.. roflmao

Re: Whisker Seeker ROD REVIEW [Re: J Lowe] #12631953 02/17/18 12:04 AM
S
Smoky Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
S
Originally Posted By: J Lowe
You act like you catch 50lb+ fish every time you go out.. roflmao

No, but I go after 50+ pounders every time smile

I'm gonna miss her....

Re: Whisker Seeker ROD REVIEW [Re: Smoky] #12631971 02/17/18 12:11 AM
L
Littlefeather Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
L
I've used the medium heavy and the heavy'. I found them to be good rod's but haven't time tested any on large fish. They do have a good warranty and a fair price for a smaller company that isn't mass producing for the big box stores. I personally use the 7' Ugly Sticks but I'm generally not catching huge fish in heavy timber. The Uglies have drawbacks too but the price is reflective of it. I'm planning on adding more eyelets toward the tip for heavy bending on bigger fish. All in all I'd say the Whisker Seeker is a good rod priced fair in a world where we all have to make a living! Like all things fishing related, we have our personal preference's on what we have faith in. If I'm dead set on wrangling toads out of heavy timber I'll pull out my tuna jigging rod's that absolutely have the bend and backbone to get-r-done! Of course they sell for $300 each so I generally don't throw them around in my cat boat! Thanks for your review. Fish on Brother!

Those who dance are considered mad by those who cannot hear the music.
Re: Whisker Seeker ROD REVIEW [Re: Smoky] #12631997 02/17/18 12:28 AM
S
Smoky Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
S
Just to clear things up, this rod will catch any fish in Tx! But I am looking for a rod that I feel confident in catching large trophy fish time after time in ALL conditions/areas! If I were out with clients this would be a perfect rod for my customer to "feel" the fight....

Im getting hate mail, HAHA!!!!!!

I'm gonna miss her....

Re: Whisker Seeker ROD REVIEW [Re: Smoky] #12632333 02/17/18 03:42 AM
D
Drawout Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
D
The man gave a honest review of a rod , the good and the bad in his personal opinion,no need for hate mail or arguments. THANKS SMOKY, lots of people want honest reviews

Re: Whisker Seeker ROD REVIEW [Re: Smoky] #12632353 02/17/18 03:52 AM
JasonB23 Offline
Angler
Angler
Did you even test the rod before you wrote your review. You said the heavy whisker seeker is identical to the pro angler. They are like apples and oranges. Absolutely nothing alike. By the way Pro Angler don't even have a heavy 7'6" rod to compare it too.
Something is missing or wrong if you say the whisker seeker heavy is identical to the pro angler medium heavy.

Last edited by JasonB23; 02/17/18 04:03 AM.
Re: Whisker Seeker ROD REVIEW [Re: JasonB23] #12632418 02/17/18 04:33 AM
S
Smoky Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
S
Originally Posted By: JasonB23
Did you even test the rod before you wrote your review. You said the heavy whisker seeker is identical to the pro angler. They are like apples and oranges. Absolutely nothing alike. By the way Pro Angler don't even have a heavy 7'6" rod to compare it too.
Something is missing or wrong if you say the whisker seeker heavy is identical to the pro angler medium heavy.

roflmao
I dont care what it says on the side of the rod or what they have it listed as!
Funny thing is, Chad Ferguson himself compared them to the ProAnglers when I asked him about them earlier this week. You know more than the man that helped designed them!! Impressive!!!

Oops heres the link to the Whisker Seeker and 12 pound blue takedown.
https://www.facebook.com/trophyfish/videos/561075364257826/

I'm gonna miss her....

Re: Whisker Seeker ROD REVIEW [Re: Smoky] #12632560 02/17/18 01:36 PM
🍀El Gato Azul🍀 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
I started running the WS medium Heavy 2 yrs ago and fish weekly. I liked em so much I bought me 5 more. Ive caught thousands of cats on em and landed many big fish with em and they have held up great so far. Im not landing 50lbrs every day but I have caught some 50s and a ton of 20-40 lbrs on em and they have handled them good. Another reason I like whisker seeker is that it is one of the few companies that is putting an effort into research and development of new and innovative catfish gear. The only WS product that I dont like are the Versa 2 rattles which leak and the steel balls rust. To their credit they did redesign the versa 2 and sent me the updated version but unfortunately they also leak. Big pain in the arse since I already rigged 20 Santee rigs with em and stored em in my rig wraps. I have yet to hear of someone who actually owns and runs WS rods that doesnt like them. To each his own but I love mine!!

There is a fine line between fishing and floating around like an idiot!!
texas Check out out my YouTube channel El Gato Azul TV texas
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg0aV-uOxzxKxeqFFfREzKg
⚓️⚓️⚓️⚓️ Home of little boys holding big catfish! ⚓️⚓️⚓️⚓️
Re: Whisker Seeker ROD REVIEW [Re: Smoky] #12632661 02/17/18 02:48 PM
S
serj5150 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
I like what LF said about "in a world where we all have to make a living". I have 12 pro anglers and love them. But it's also what I can afford. I often wonder if I would just switch up rods and try different ones out, of course the ole paycheck dictates that. Maybe in the future I will try different ones. I only pull out the occasional 40+ pounder. But so far I'm happy with my P.A's.
But I still thank you Smoky for the review even if you are getting hate mail. That would be something I look for in the future should I choose to try them out.. You know what I might do it now cause the rusty gears in my head are starting to turn..lol!!! hammer nuts

Last edited by serj5150; 02/17/18 02:48 PM.

Checkout my Youtube channel for tips and techniques on
crappie and catfish
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKsHpQ1vQP7HRC_sw0fXopQ?view_as=subscriber
Re: Whisker Seeker ROD REVIEW [Re: serj5150] #12632796 02/17/18 04:25 PM
S
Smoky Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
S
Originally Posted By: serj5150
I like what LF said about "in a world where we all have to make a living". I have 12 pro anglers and love them. But it's also what I can afford. I often wonder if I would just switch up rods and try different ones out, of course the ole paycheck dictates that. Maybe in the future I will try different ones. I only pull out the occasional 40+ pounder. But so far I'm happy with my P.A's.
But I still thank you Smoky for the review even if you are getting hate mail. That would be something I look for in the future should I choose to try them out.. You know what I might do it now cause the rusty gears in my head are starting to turn..lol!!! hammer nuts

If you like the proanglers you will be very pleased with the Whisker Seeker, its only $, can make more tomorrow! Ive never seen a hearse with a luggage rack!!

I'm gonna miss her....

Re: Whisker Seeker ROD REVIEW [Re: Smoky] #12632812 02/17/18 04:31 PM
S
serj5150 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
Originally Posted By: Smoky
Originally Posted By: serj5150

If you like the proanglers you will be very pleased with the Whisker Seeker, its only $, can make more tomorrow! Ive never seen a hearse with a luggage rack!!

haha!!!!Nice I'm liking that outlook right there!!!! thumb

Checkout my Youtube channel for tips and techniques on
crappie and catfish
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKsHpQ1vQP7HRC_sw0fXopQ?view_as=subscriber
Re: Whisker Seeker ROD REVIEW [Re: Drawout] #12633015 02/17/18 06:51 PM
O
OPTIMUS PRIME Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
O
Originally Posted By: Drawout
The man gave a honest review of a rod , the good and the bad in his personal opinion,no need for hate mail or arguments. THANKS SMOKY, lots of people want honest reviews

Word Johnny buddy worrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrd!!!!!!!!!!!! roflmao roflmao roflmao roflmao cheers fish fish fish

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide