Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
PSA for gun owners #12629899 02/15/18 09:26 PM
Uncle Zeek Offline OP
aka "Dad"
OP Offline
aka "Dad"
This is my last semester of law school, and I'm working in the law clinic. Have been seeing some really interesting matters happening with the clients there. Now, I can't discuss confidential matters, but I can share some facts that might be helpful for guys here.

In a case involving stolen firearms, the true owner reported them stolen to police along with a list of serial numbers. The police located the firearms at places like pawn shops, and were able to return them to the true owner with no other documentation than the owners original complaint.

What I found intriguing was that a person might own firearms with no documentation (like a private party purchase), and therefore have no proof that it's actually his own firearm. The police in this instance accepted the owners original statement--made prior to locating the firearms!--as adequate evidence of ownership.

I can't help but think that it might be a good idea to have some sort of documentation of one's firearms, including serial numbers, to provide to police in the event that they are stolen. I'm preparing something analogous to an affidavit for myself that I'll have notarized (to prove the date that it was done), just in case ...

"Decency is not news; it is buried in the obituaries --but it is a force stronger than crime" ~ Robert A. Heinlein
Artim Law Firm, PLLC
Estate planning & tax attorney
2250 Morriss Road, Suite 205, Flower Mound, Texas 75028
972-746-0758 mobile
zac@artimlegal.com
Re: PSA for gun owners [Re: Uncle Zeek] #12629908 02/15/18 09:33 PM
Notaguide Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
You need to work on your law talk. I understood everything you said

Re: PSA for gun owners [Re: Uncle Zeek] #12629909 02/15/18 09:33 PM
SgtDag Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
I need to do this

"If you're going through hell keep going." Winston Churchill

Originally Posted by 1ShotNoKills
I open mouth kiss my sisters
Re: PSA for gun owners [Re: Uncle Zeek] #12629917 02/15/18 09:36 PM
I
I'm The Dude Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
I
I keep a binder with pictures, descriptions, calibers and serial numbers of all my guns. A little piece of mind if stolen or some other crazy circumstance were to happen... Father in law had done the same with his and I thought it was a great idea.

Re: PSA for gun owners [Re: I'm The Dude] #12629922 02/15/18 09:37 PM
Uncle Zeek Offline OP
aka "Dad"
OP Offline
aka "Dad"
Originally Posted By: I'm The Dude
I keep a binder with pictures, descriptions, calibers and serial numbers of all my guns. A little piece of mind if stolen or some other crazy circumstance were to happen... Father in law had done the same with his and I thought it was a great idea.

That's better than my idea. Thank you!

"Decency is not news; it is buried in the obituaries --but it is a force stronger than crime" ~ Robert A. Heinlein
Artim Law Firm, PLLC
972-746-0758 mobile
zac@artimlegal.com
Re: PSA for gun owners [Re: I'm The Dude] #12629926 02/15/18 09:39 PM
TexDawg Online Content
Top Dawg
Online Content
Top Dawg

Same, and i have all that info stored on a stick drive as well

Re: PSA for gun owners [Re: Uncle Zeek] #12629927 02/15/18 09:40 PM
H
Hookem Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
H
Entire home inventory spreadsheet.

Re: PSA for gun owners [Re: Uncle Zeek] #12629931 02/15/18 09:43 PM
G
Gourdbuster Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
G
I use an XL spreadsheet with dates and locations of purchase, previous owner. If I sell one I mark that line in red and put the date and name of purchaser along with their contact info.

“You are not special. You're not a beautiful and unique snowflake.
You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else.
We're all part of the same compost heap.
We're the all singing, all dancing [censored] of the world.”

-Chuck Palahniuk

Re: PSA for gun owners [Re: TexDawg] #12629935 02/15/18 09:44 PM
elcoyote, esq. Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: TexDawg

IF I owned guns, which I don't, because I like being alive and don't want to be killed, I would have an inventory on a thumb drive, as well as that info stored on several different emails, filed in a folder for redundancy.

Team wolfs

Originally Posted by Allison1
I had to perform. It took a minute to get it all in my mouth and another five to swallow it all.

Re: PSA for gun owners [Re: Uncle Zeek] #12629940 02/15/18 09:47 PM
G
GarySHO Offline
Ice Ice Baby
Ice Ice Baby
G
Everyone has a good camera on their phone nowdays, be good to take pictures of them and closups of S/N.

[Linked Image]
A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user- Theodore Roosevelt

Broken Bow Lake Fishing Guide

2020 Caymas CX 20 PRO and 250 SHO
Re: PSA for gun owners [Re: Uncle Zeek] #12629954 02/15/18 09:55 PM
fouzman Offline
Methuselah
Methuselah
May not be that simple depending on where you live. I had five rifles stolen in 2014. Had all the serial numbers, scopes, descriptions right down to the Boyt cases they were in. I went to our local substation, filed the report, and gave them a copy of everything. Sat there and watched the officer enter the info into the database.

2 years later, an individual contacted me and said he had seen one of the guns on my list at a pawn shop in N Houston. I called HPD who told me to go to the pawn shop, wait outside, and dial their non-emergency number for an officer when I arrived. The officer showed up, we went inside, and I indentified my rifle. He put a tag on it and told the pawn shop manager to take it off the shelf, put it in their safe, and a detective would be by to speak with him. I spoke to the detective the next day and he was kind enough to go right to the pawn shop and get my rifle. Even cleaned it up for me thumb

However, I had to wait a couple more months for a property hearing before a Harris County Judge. The judge ruled that the gun was mine and ordered it returned. I then had to go to another part of town, to HPD's property room, and retrieve my rifle.

It was a pita, but I'm tankful to have the most expensive of the five back in my possession. I had all the 411 AND receipts for all these guns, but HPD still wouldn't return it without a hearing. Could have been because of the rifle's value, I'm not sure. But I'll guarantee you had I not had such detailed proof the gun was mine, I don't think Harris County would have ruled in my favor.

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out" - Zachary Troy Schrah - a young man with vision far beyond his years.
Re: PSA for gun owners [Re: elcoyote, esq.] #12629958 02/15/18 10:00 PM
Dan90210 ☮ Offline
Jr Deputy Dan
Jr Deputy Dan
Originally Posted By: elcoyote, esq.
Originally Posted By: TexDawg

IF I owned guns, which I don't, because I like being alive and don't want to be killed, I would have an inventory on a thumb drive, as well as that info stored on several different emails, filed in a folder for redundancy.

This is correct. Keep that info in several places. Electronic and paper and not WITH the weapons or other property. To be super safe keep copies of that info in a place that's not where the property is. A friend or relatives house.

Serial numbers are critical. Pictures of you with the property are great too. So I am told. If you dont have that odds are slim you get your property back. Near zero if you do not have the serial numbers.

Re: PSA for gun owners [Re: Uncle Zeek] #12629962 02/15/18 10:02 PM
V
von rage Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
V
It only takes a couple of hours but I took pictures of everything that we own in case of fire or theft. Put them on a cd which I keep at the office. You will never be able to remember everything you have.

Re: PSA for gun owners [Re: Hookem] #12629973 02/15/18 10:10 PM
U
uncle_bagster Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
U
Originally Posted By: Hookem

Every time a guy buys something of value, he ought to do this. Copy the serial#, take a photo, and file away the sales receipt.
That way if you get robbed, the insurance man is less likely to chizzel you.

Re: PSA for gun owners [Re: Notaguide] #12629974 02/15/18 10:10 PM
P
Pintail711 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
P
Originally Posted By: Notaguide
You need to work on your law talk. I understood everything you said

Lol. Yep.

Re: PSA for gun owners [Re: Uncle Zeek] #12630025 02/15/18 10:35 PM
Der Vorsteher Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
It would help if you put a little flag sticker of your country of origin as well. Make the process faster.

Team Wolfs
Re: PSA for gun owners [Re: Hookem] #12630026 02/15/18 10:35 PM
P
PowerLizard Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
P
Originally Posted By: Hookem

You don't really need a spreadsheet. Just take a picture of the item and then a close up of the serial number. Move a copy of the pictures from your phone to thumb drive or e-mail them to yourself so they are on your phone and somewhere else.

Take a picture of everything that has a serial number: guns, bicycles, lawnmowers, TVs, laptops.

Re: PSA for gun owners [Re: Der Vorsteher] #12630029 02/15/18 10:37 PM
Der Vorsteher Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Der Vorsteher�
It would help if you put a little flag sticker of your country of origin as well. Make the process faster.

That way if it is bought with Bitcoin.

Team Wolfs
Re: PSA for gun owners [Re: Uncle Zeek] #12630072 02/15/18 11:03 PM
O
outfishdya Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
O
Before I sold all my guns to Bob at the gun show, I took an nventory with pics and serial numbers. I still have it here somewhere.

Woke up this morning
Got yourself a gun....
Re: PSA for gun owners [Re: Uncle Zeek] #12630230 02/16/18 01:15 AM
Jacob Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I keep all my Gun serial numbers in my phone/email.

Re: PSA for gun owners [Re: Uncle Zeek] #12630243 02/16/18 01:28 AM
S
Spiderman Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
Thumb drive in a safety deposit box.

Fire could destroy everything, unless it is stored on the cloud.

The Truth is six of the seven Dwarfs are not Happy!
Re: PSA for gun owners [Re: fouzman] #12630244 02/16/18 01:29 AM
J
Jim Ford Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted By: fouzman
May not be that simple depending on where you live. I had five rifles stolen in 2014. Had all the serial numbers, scopes, descriptions right down to the Boyt cases they were in. I went to our local substation, filed the report, and gave them a copy of everything. Sat there and watched the officer enter the info into the database.

2 years later, an individual contacted me and said he had seen one of the guns on my list at a pawn shop in N Houston. I called HPD who told me to go to the pawn shop, wait outside, and dial their non-emergency number for an officer when I arrived. The officer showed up, we went inside, and I indentified my rifle. He put a tag on it and told the pawn shop manager to take it off the shelf, put it in their safe, and a detective would be by to speak with him. I spoke to the detective the next day and he was kind enough to go right to the pawn shop and get my rifle. Even cleaned it up for me thumb

However, I had to wait a couple more months for a property hearing before a Harris County Judge. The judge ruled that the gun was mine and ordered it returned. I then had to go to another part of town, to HPD's property room, and retrieve my rifle.

It was a pita, but I'm tankful to have the most expensive of the five back in my possession. I had all the 411 AND receipts for all these guns, but HPD still wouldn't return it without a hearing. Could have been because of the rifle's value, I'm not sure. But I'll guarantee you had I not had such detailed proof the gun was mine, I don't think Harris County would have ruled in my favor.

fouz, if you'll check chapter 47 (I think; at my age memory is a dangerous thing) of the Texas Code of Criminal Procedure, you'll see that hearing was mandated by law. Funny thing; every time I recover stolen property at a pawn shop they insist on a property hearing, but they never show up......... an aggravating waste of time for everyone involved.

Re: PSA for gun owners [Re: fouzman] #12630292 02/16/18 01:52 AM
JustWingem Offline
Gentleman Jack
Gentleman Jack
Originally Posted By: fouzman

Wasnt due to value but bureaucracy. Father (being DPD) had a off duty snub nose revolver stolen out of his truck. Had to jump through the same hoops 20 years ago.

DON'T GET CONFUSED BETWEEN MY PERSONALITY AND MY ATTITUDE. MY PERSONALITY IS WHO I AM...MY ATTITUDE DEPENDS ON WHO YOU ARE
Re: PSA for gun owners [Re: I'm The Dude] #12630307 02/16/18 02:00 AM
lakeforkfisherman Offline
Elliptical Mechanic
Elliptical Mechanic
I do this. Also, when Ive sold a firearm, there are 2 original bills of sale exactly alike signed by both parties. No questioning the who what and when of gun ownership.

LET’S GO BRANDON!!!
Re: PSA for gun owners [Re: Uncle Zeek] #12630319 02/16/18 02:06 AM
D
dobbin Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
I have serial numbers stored in the cloud on my I phone, I also remove the butt plate and put my name and address and dl number under it and screw it back to the stock.

Champion Jigs
Re: PSA for gun owners [Re: Uncle Zeek] #12630408 02/16/18 02:56 AM
K
KingwoodCat Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
Originally Posted By: Uncle Zeek
This is my last semester of law school, and I'm working in the law clinic. Have been seeing some really interesting matters happening with the clients there. Now, I can't discuss confidential matters, but I can share some facts that might be helpful for guys here.

In a case involving stolen firearms, the true owner reported them stolen to police along with a list of serial numbers. The police located the firearms at places like pawn shops, and were able to return them to the true owner with no other documentation than the owners original complaint.

What I found intriguing was that a person might own firearms with no documentation (like a private party purchase), and therefore have no proof that it's actually his own firearm. The police in this instance accepted the owners original statement--made prior to locating the firearms!--as adequate evidence of ownership.

I can't help but think that it might be a good idea to have some sort of documentation of one's firearms, including serial numbers, to provide to police in the event that they are stolen. I'm preparing something analogous to an affidavit for myself that I'll have notarized (to prove the date that it was done), just in case ...

Or...take pictures of the firearm including the serial number. I have them on all my firearms, including private party purchases.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a look at the American Indian".

Henry Ford
Re: PSA for gun owners [Re: Uncle Zeek] #12630428 02/16/18 03:14 AM
SheldonS Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I thought pawn shops were supposed to check if a gun was stolen.

Re: PSA for gun owners [Re: SheldonS] #12630559 02/16/18 05:00 AM
JustWingem Offline
Gentleman Jack
Gentleman Jack
Originally Posted By: SheldonS

Most due but they are not in the system as quickly as sold so.....

DON'T GET CONFUSED BETWEEN MY PERSONALITY AND MY ATTITUDE. MY PERSONALITY IS WHO I AM...MY ATTITUDE DEPENDS ON WHO YOU ARE
Re: PSA for gun owners [Re: Uncle Zeek] #12630563 02/16/18 05:07 AM
Bee'z Offline
honey boo boo
honey boo boo
Spread sheet and photos on 4 drives. Only one at the house. This is good practice to go by.

[Linked Image]
Re: PSA for gun owners [Re: SheldonS] #12631310 02/16/18 05:29 PM
fouzman Offline
Methuselah
Methuselah
Originally Posted By: SheldonS

What if the pawn shop transposes a letter or number in the serial number? Voila, no hit from TCIC/NCIC. Happens all the time. At least that's what a detective told me.

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out" - Zachary Troy Schrah - a young man with vision far beyond his years.
Re: PSA for gun owners [Re: Uncle Zeek] #12631343 02/16/18 05:45 PM
T
texomaspecial Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
email the info and pictures to yourself. It will be in internet land forever!

Can I get a hot tub
Re: PSA for gun owners [Re: Uncle Zeek] #12631630 02/16/18 08:31 PM
T
Trickster Offline
Super Freak
Super Freak
T
I never liked this word.
analogous

Re: PSA for gun owners [Re: Uncle Zeek] #12631710 02/16/18 09:38 PM
bassfishinglawyer Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
I'm preparing something analogous to an affidavit for myself that I'll have notarized (to prove the date that it was done), just in case ...

So a self-serving affidavit, huh? smile

Based on the way that case was handled, if I made a claim to the guns in your safe and had the serial numbers, would I get them? I'm sure they did the right thing, but it does make you wonder. In that instance, even having a list with all of of your guns do not prove you did not steal them (or, even with bills of sale, that your sellers did not steal them). Of course this is true of any personal property, not just guns.

Re: PSA for gun owners [Re: bassfishinglawyer] #12632040 02/17/18 01:01 AM
Uncle Zeek Offline OP
aka "Dad"
OP Offline
aka "Dad"
Originally Posted By: bassfishinglawyer
I'm preparing something analogous to an affidavit for myself that I'll have notarized (to prove the date that it was done), just in case ...

So a self-serving affidavit, huh? smile

Based on the way that case was handled, if I made a claim to the guns in your safe and had the serial numbers, would I get them? I'm sure they did the right thing, but it does make you wonder. In that instance, even having a list with all of of your guns do not prove you did not steal them (or, even with bills of sale, that your sellers did not steal them). Of course this is true of any personal property, not just guns.

Yeah, I figure the notary will simply be proof of the date the list was compiled. Based on what I saw, the police were concerned about the timing/sequence of events. Having the guns turn up in pawn shops is likely a different burden of proof than having them secured in one's own home.

But yeah, I'm trying to figure out an effective way to document proof of true ownership for a collection accumulated over a lifetime.

Artim Law Firm, PLLC
972-746-0758 mobile
zac@artimlegal.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide