Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Ultrex or Ulterra [Re: Blindshot54] #12625528 02/13/18 04:16 PM
PEDRO H. Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
ULTREX = game changer.

I used one for the first Time on Saturday.

It was awesome and I will have one soon for my boat

Pete B. Hernandez
Matthew 4:19

www.funnsunboats.com
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Ultrex or Ulterra [Re: PettyBigBass] #12626029 02/13/18 08:54 PM
BlueNitro Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: PettyBigBass

Another thing, the Ultera is mounted so that it hangs off the front of the boat quite a bit . The first time I took it out, I was pulling into a boat slip and I had a problem with my fly by wire on my mercury. They mercury did not go into reverse, so I smacked the brand new $3000 trolling motor into the slip . Fortunately it just popped a plastic cover off that I was able to easily repair. I'm not sure how far the Ultrex hangs over.

For those of you that are concerned with how much the electric steer trolling motors protrude out from the boat, I created the LiftSaver TM Mount for the MG Xi5 but wanted to throw out that it also works for the MK Terrova, Ulterra, PD V2 and Riptide. It helps solve a lot of the mounting issues with these electric steer motors. Take a few minutes to look at the website and PM if I can answer any questions or help you out in any way.

www.liftsavertmmount.com

LiftSaver Trolling Motor Mounting Bracket - Patent Pending and LiftSaver Transducer Pole Mount
www.liftsavertmmount.com
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Works with MG Xi5, Xi3 and MK Terrova, Ulterra, PD V2 and Riptides as well.

Re: Ultrex or Ulterra [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES] #12626123 02/13/18 09:32 PM
T
texasbass1 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES
I have the ultera on my current boat and an ultrex coming on a new boat. I absolutely love these generation of trolling motors . The down side to the Ultera that I have experienced is, If I forget to lock out the keys on the remote, which happens more than I care to admit, I will bump the stow away key on accident while fishing a windy bank, the motor will shut off, begin to stow, and panic begins to rain in my boat due to the fear of slamming into the rocks. Another thing that happens, and this is based on my assumption, but it seems like when the cable gets wrapped around the trolling motor, where it cannot turn anymore, it will shut off the spot lock and here comes panic mode again. My biggest fear, is while I'm running down the lake at 70 miles an hour, I accidentally hit the deploy button and the disaster plays out in slow-motion before my eyes, as a scramble for buttons on the remote , on the next page, in the next menu, with the password , and a thumbprint required to stop it . I'm exaggerating of course, but I'm pretty sure that's what the process would feel like .

I'm also reluctant to just back my boat in the water and deploy the trolling motor to hold it while I park because I've had many times that when I hit the remote deploy button, it doesn't happen . I can visualize my boat floating across the lake as I stand there hopelessly watching at 5am.

Another thing, the Ultera is mounted so that it hangs off the front of the boat quite a bit . The first time I took it out, I was pulling into a boat slip and I had a problem with my fly by wire on my mercury. They mercury did not go into reverse, so I smacked the brand new $3000 trolling motor into the slip . Fortunately it just popped a plastic cover off that I was able to easily repair. I'm not sure how far the Ultrex hangs over.

I do love sitting at the helm , finding a waypoint on my hummingbird and telling the trolling motor to deploy and go to the way point as I sit on my lazy butt. I will miss this part when I get the new boat but with the potential issues I stated above, I think I better just get up off my butt and pull the rope with a brand new boat at stake .

After reading that, and I've stopped laughing (sorry) I'm glad I got the Ultrex. The Ultrex does have lift assist so it's not that big of a deal to deploy and stow.

Turn off the remote and the deploy on the fly problem is solved. LOL

Pat Leach
USAF MSgt Retired
92 Procraft 180 Pro
24 Mercury 150 Pro XS 4 Stroke
Minn Kota Ulterra 80
Re: Ultrex or Ulterra [Re: Blindshot54] #12627088 02/14/18 12:16 PM
P
PettyBigBass Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
Some of the functions are only found in the remote, like the raising and lowering of the trolling motor depth. I have the 50 inch shaft that Is wonderful while fishing on big waves, but again, as the realization sets in that, while your easing up close to the rocks to get your $95 megabass crankbait loose, ( and that fella is concerned about the price trolling motors!) sorry...... back on track, I realize my motor needs to be raised, so I don't break this new $3k trolling motor off on the rocks, going up to retrieve the crankbait, and once again here comes the hearth throbbing rush of adrenaline and a fumbling of buttons on the remote trying feverishly to find the page that controls depth.

Let me put this in perspective.....in one hand is the remote, in my other hand, is the hung up rod. I know I still have control with my foot, but with my foot doing one thing, one hand concerned about the $95 crank bait, the slack line of that rod getting caught up in the trolling motor, the other hand just gives up on thumbing through menus and begins to just freak out and start hitting all the buttons, and "d?$&!! The thing shuts down and begins to stow away and the boats drift speed increases toward the rocks again!!!! I race back to the helm, try to get the key in the ignition, still holding the hung up rod in one hand, start the big motor and get back out to where life is once again calm. I re-deploy ultera, spot lock it, and lay down on the deck of the boat until I get myself together and think, what I would give to just have a rope to pull at times like this.

The sad part is, this is a true story, you can't make this stuff up, with the exception of the price of the cranckbait and the part about laying on the deck. I didn't actually do that, but I did want to!!! 😩

Being successful is achieving that which you set out to accomplish!
Re: Ultrex or Ulterra [Re: Blindshot54] #12627091 02/14/18 12:19 PM
P
PettyBigBass Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
Oh, and I just cut my line and abandon the crank bait. Not worth the risk.

Being successful is achieving that which you set out to accomplish!
Re: Ultrex or Ulterra [Re: Blindshot54] #12627107 02/14/18 12:43 PM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: Blindshot54
Whats the difference? Which do you prefer and why?

Neither...I would go buy the Terranova with Ipilot link...it is very easy to deploy the Terranova (up and down) manually, relative to most Cable steer TMs. The options available with the ipilot link will make you wonder how you ever got along without it, once you learn to use them. First thing I do when getting another boat...find a Terranova for the front...makes it relatively easy to back off stumps from standing at the transom. (20 speed settings) plenty of options for trolling speed, no sore back/foot at the end of the day., 360 degree rotation capability...basically, you cant run fast enough to give me a cable operated unit...I do have a backup hand control for each of my boats, just in case.

Re: Ultrex or Ulterra [Re: crapicat] #12627155 02/14/18 01:21 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted By: crapicat
Originally Posted By: Blindshot54
Whats the difference? Which do you prefer and why?

Neither...I would go buy the Terranova with Ipilot link...it is very easy to deploy the Terranova (up and down) manually, relative to most Cable steer TMs. The options available with the ipilot link will make you wonder how you ever got along without it, once you learn to use them. First thing I do when getting another boat...find a Terranova for the front...makes it relatively easy to back off stumps from standing at the transom. (20 speed settings) plenty of options for trolling speed, no sore back/foot at the end of the day., 360 degree rotation capability...basically, you cant run fast enough to give me a cable operated unit...I do have a backup hand control for each of my boats, just in case.

You do realize the Ultrex and Ulterra does all of what you're saying, and more, right?

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Ultrex or Ulterra [Re: Blindshot54] #12627302 02/14/18 02:32 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
I haven't figured out a way to fish while holding a remote but thankfully both of my feet can operate the foot control as needed and that allows me to cast/retrieve with my hands. That thought process was the reason I bought a Ultrex. I have the remote and have used it while sitting in the drivers seat and watching my Helix so that was nice but if I'm fishing I use the foot control. Buy what you like, it's your money and your boat.

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Re: Ultrex or Ulterra [Re: Blindshot54] #12640540 02/22/18 04:13 AM
JBranham Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Ultrex!!! Wont leave home without it!

Re: Ultrex or Ulterra [Re: PettyBigBass] #12640547 02/22/18 04:15 AM
JBranham Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
This is awesome! I would fish from the back just to watch all of this go down! Lol
popcorn

Some of the functions are only found in the remote, like the raising and lowering of the trolling motor depth. I have the 50 inch shaft that Is wonderful while fishing on big waves, but again, as the realization sets in that, while your easing up close to the rocks to get your $95 megabass crankbait loose, ( and that fella is concerned about the price trolling motors!) sorry...... back on track, I realize my motor needs to be raised, so I don't break this new $3k trolling motor off on the rocks, going up to retrieve the crankbait, and once again here comes the hearth throbbing rush of adrenaline and a fumbling of buttons on the remote trying feverishly to find the page that controls depth.

Let me put this in perspective.....in one hand is the remote, in my other hand, is the hung up rod. I know I still have control with my foot, but with my foot doing one thing, one hand concerned about the $95 crank bait, the slack line of that rod getting caught up in the trolling motor, the other hand just gives up on thumbing through menus and begins to just freak out and start hitting all the buttons, and "d?$&!! The thing shuts down and begins to stow away and the boats drift speed increases toward the rocks again!!!! I race back to the helm, try to get the key in the ignition, still holding the hung up rod in one hand, start the big motor and get back out to where life is once again calm. I re-deploy ultera, spot lock it, and lay down on the deck of the boat until I get myself together and think, what I would give to just have a rope to pull at times like this.

The sad part is, this is a true story, you can't make this stuff up, with the exception of the price of the cranckbait and the part about laying on the deck. I didn't actually do that, but I did want to!!! 😩
popcorn popcorn

Re: Ultrex or Ulterra [Re: JBranham] #12640722 02/22/18 12:42 PM
TxPanhandle Offline
Angler
Angler
The Ulterra can be deployed, stowed and trimmed from the remote or foot control and if connected to a Humminbird unit via I pilot link can be stowed from the HB Unit. I have had mine for two years and had no problems with it.

Last edited by TxPanhandle; 02/22/18 12:44 PM.

Retired to Fish
10 Skeeter ZX22 Bay
200 HP Yamaha Sho
Hummminbird Electronics
2015 GMC 2500HD
Re: Ultrex or Ulterra [Re: TxPanhandle] #12641119 02/22/18 04:06 PM
Big Kahuna Fishing Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted By: TxPanhandle
The Ulterra can be deployed, stowed and trimmed from the remote or foot control and if connected to a Humminbird unit via I pilot link can be stowed from the HB Unit. I have had mine for two years and had no problems with it.

Do you use the "follow the contour" feature a lot ?

Living the American Dream in central Texas !
Re: Ultrex or Ulterra [Re: Big Kahuna Fishing] #12641226 02/22/18 05:01 PM
TxPanhandle Offline
Angler
Angler
I do sometimes if I want to follow a shore line and fish a certain depth.

Retired to Fish
10 Skeeter ZX22 Bay
200 HP Yamaha Sho
Hummminbird Electronics
2015 GMC 2500HD
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide