Page 1 of 2 1 2
Ultrex or Ulterra #12623995 02/12/18 08:14 PM
B
Blindshot54 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
What’s the difference? Which do you prefer and why?

Blindshot,

Fishing is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it.
-Harry Middleton
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Ultrex or Ulterra [Re: Blindshot54] #12624056 02/12/18 08:48 PM
9094 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
I have an Ulterra because I like the auto stow and deploy and trim. But in truth the Ultrex is better suited for bass fishing. It has a true cable type steer that responds a lot faster. Which can be pretty important in heavy stumps.
That said I am used to my Ulterra so I have zero problems in heavy cover. I just have to pay closer attention to the water.

Re: Ultrex or Ulterra [Re: Blindshot54] #12624070 02/12/18 08:56 PM
B
Bobby Milam Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Ultrex is like your traditional foot control with added features like spot lock.

Ulterra is electronic steer like the terrova but with auto deploy and stow of the trolling motor. It has a foot control but it an electric steer not pressure steer.

I have ulterra because I am not a tournament guy and like to fish casually but not wear my back out on the trolling motor.

Re: Ultrex or Ulterra [Re: Bobby Milam] #12624074 02/12/18 09:01 PM
D
DBFishing83 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Originally Posted By: Bobby Milam
Ultrex is like your traditional foot control with added features like spot lock.

Ulterra is electronic steer like the terrova but with auto deploy and stow of the trolling motor. It has a foot control but it an electric steer not pressure steer.

I have ulterra because I am not a tournament guy and like to fish casually but not wear my back out on the trolling motor.

*** This exactly ***
I never used a cable steer before my Terrova --- I always had a hand control because I was not good (coordinated enough) at controlling the directions with my foot and cable steer. The Terrova with electronic steer for me is perfect. I just use the remote control. I never run it on continuous so I do not worry about running into stumps.
it is whatever you like and are used to .......

Re: Ultrex or Ulterra [Re: Blindshot54] #12624075 02/12/18 09:01 PM
SkeeterHawk Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
2 grand for a trolling Really?

Re: Ultrex or Ulterra [Re: Blindshot54] #12624081 02/12/18 09:07 PM
ssmith Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
on a bass boat ultrex

Re: Ultrex or Ulterra [Re: Blindshot54] #12624102 02/12/18 09:20 PM
Guide Richie White Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I have an ulterra for $1,000 that went out of warranty last year.

Re: Ultrex or Ulterra [Re: SkeeterHawk] #12624143 02/12/18 09:47 PM
B
Bobby Milam Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Originally Posted By: SkeeterHawk
2 grand for a trolling Really?

It isn't just a trolling motor. It is a trolling motor, a deep water anchor and a shallow water anchor plus much more. They still make regular TMs but these are worth what they are asking for them once you use them you'll never go back.

Re: Ultrex or Ulterra [Re: Blindshot54] #12624154 02/12/18 09:55 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
I have a Ultrex and it's the best thing that ever happened to a bass boat. No experience with either a Terrova or a Ulterra but recent threads on here say the spot lock on those two are not as accurate as Ultrex. They also have a smaller base but it's pretty cool to have the auto stow and deploy which the Ultrex doesn't have. The Ultrex does have the hand held remote with ipilot like the other two which is nice.

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Re: Ultrex or Ulterra [Re: Blindshot54] #12624399 02/13/18 12:22 AM
Clark3 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
If I️ had to choose between my 250 sho and Ultrex, I’d pick the Ultrex. Luckily my boat has both

[Linked Image]
Re: Ultrex or Ulterra [Re: Clark3] #12624947 02/13/18 03:58 AM
B
Blindshot54 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
Thanks guys this is the feed back I was looking for. Thanks for the help.

Blindshot,

Fishing is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it.
-Harry Middleton
Re: Ultrex or Ulterra [Re: Blindshot54] #12625136 02/13/18 12:16 PM
P
PettyBigBass Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
I have the ultera on my current boat and an ultrex coming on a new boat. I absolutely love these generation of trolling motors . The down side to the Ultera that I have experienced is, If I forget to lock out the keys on the remote, which happens more than I care to admit, I will bump the stow away key on accident while fishing a windy bank, the motor will shut off, begin to stow, and panic begins to rain in my boat due to the fear of slamming into the rocks. Another thing that happens, and this is based on my assumption, but it seems like when the cable gets wrapped around the trolling motor, where it cannot turn anymore, it will shut off the spot lock and here comes panic mode again. My biggest fear, is while I'm running down the lake at 70 miles an hour, I accidentally hit the deploy button and the disaster plays out in slow-motion before my eyes, as a scramble for buttons on the remote , on the next page, in the next menu, with the password , and a thumbprint required to stop it . I'm exaggerating of course, but I'm pretty sure that's what the process would feel like .

I'm also reluctant to just back my boat in the water and deploy the trolling motor to hold it while I park because I've had many times that when I hit the remote deploy button, it doesn't happen . I can visualize my boat floating across the lake as I stand there hopelessly watching at 5am.

Another thing, the Ultera is mounted so that it hangs off the front of the boat quite a bit . The first time I took it out, I was pulling into a boat slip and I had a problem with my fly by wire on my mercury. They mercury did not go into reverse, so I smacked the brand new $3000 trolling motor into the slip . Fortunately it just popped a plastic cover off that I was able to easily repair. I'm not sure how far the Ultrex hangs over.

I do love sitting at the helm , finding a waypoint on my hummingbird and telling the trolling motor to deploy and go to the way point as I sit on my lazy butt. I will miss this part when I get the new boat but with the potential issues I stated above, I think I better just get up off my butt and pull the rope with a brand new boat at stake .

Being successful is achieving that which you set out to accomplish!
Re: Ultrex or Ulterra [Re: PettyBigBass] #12625139 02/13/18 12:23 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: PettyBigBass
I have the ultera on my current boat and an ultrex coming on a new boat. I absolutely love these generation of trolling motors . The down side to the Ultera that I have experienced is, If I forget to lock out the keys on the remote, which happens more than I care to admit, I will bump the stow away key on accident while fishing a windy bank, the motor will shut off, begin to stow, and panic begins to rain in my boat due to the fear of slamming into the rocks. Another thing that happens, and this is based on my assumption, but it seems like when the cable gets wrapped around the trolling motor, where it cannot turn anymore, it will shut off the spot lock and here comes panic mode again. My biggest fear, is while I'm running down the lake at 70 miles an hour, I accidentally hit the deploy button and the disaster plays out in slow-motion before my eyes, as a scramble for buttons on the remote , on the next page, in the next menu, with the password , and a thumbprint required to stop it . I'm exaggerating of course, but I'm pretty sure that's what the process would feel like .

I'm also reluctant to just back my boat in the water and deploy the trolling motor to hold it while I park because I've had many times that when I hit the remote deploy button, it doesn't happen . I can visualize my boat floating across the lake as I stand there hopelessly watching at 5am.

Another thing, the Ultera is mounted so that it hangs off the front of the boat quite a bit . The first time I took it out, I was pulling into a boat slip and I had a problem with my fly by wire on my mercury. They mercury did not go into reverse, so I smacked the brand new $3000 trolling motor into the slip . Fortunately it just popped a plastic cover off that I was able to easily repair. I'm not sure how far the Ultrex hangs over.

I do love sitting at the helm , finding a waypoint on my hummingbird and telling the trolling motor to deploy and go to the way point as I sit on my lazy butt. I will miss this part when I get the new boat but with the potential issues I stated above, I think I better just get up off my butt and pull the rope with a brand new boat at stake .

After reading that, and I've stopped laughing (sorry) I'm glad I got the Ultrex. The Ultrex does have lift assist so it's not that big of a deal to deploy and stow.

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Re: Ultrex or Ulterra [Re: Blindshot54] #12625439 02/13/18 03:42 PM
T
texasbass1 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
I just purchased an Ulterra for several reasons over the Ultrex. One being I have an older boat without a recessed foot control pit and didn't want to cut into my deck so the low profile foot control fit my needs. Some of the others were the stow and deploy as well as the ability to trim the motor depth. I'll have it on by this weekend and I can't wait to use it.

All of my choices were personal preferences, I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Pat Leach
USAF MSgt Retired
92 Procraft 180 Pro
24 Mercury 150 Pro XS 4 Stroke
Minn Kota Ulterra 80
Re: Ultrex or Ulterra [Re: SkeeterHawk] #12625447 02/13/18 03:47 PM
L
LinkLowrance Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
L
Originally Posted By: SkeeterHawk