Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Whos the next KVD? [Re: JC Skeeter] #12624009 02/12/18 08:20 PM
921 Phoenix Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
I think its like asking who will be the next dynasty in the NFL after the Patriots. I do not think you can replace some of these great teams or individuals. I do not think we will see another KVD, Patriots, Tiger at the top of his game, or Jack. Their is just some things it was great to watch it happened. Their are so many great bass fishermen and golfers it's going to be hard to out do what was done by some of these guys and teams. I would settle for another great lake to get to fish in my life time like Fork was in it's hey day.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Whos the next KVD? [Re: JC Skeeter] #12624033 02/12/18 08:36 PM
J
Jarrett Latta Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
Never.....no more information rule fixed that. The amount of info traded in the last 25 years is incredible.

Re: Whos the next KVD? [Re: fouzman] #12624064 02/12/18 08:53 PM
C
ChanceHuiet Online Happy
TFF Celebrity
Online Happy
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: fouzman
No one.

Originally Posted by lakeforkfisherman
I can backlash toilet paper.
Re: Whos the next KVD? [Re: JC Skeeter] #12624086 02/12/18 09:09 PM
B
Brad R Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
One general rule when you see someone dominate for a very long time is they get one of their wins, here a Classic, on the books at a very early age. So, Al Oerter would be a great example (first Olympian to win 4 gold medals in consecutive Olympics - Discus) as he won the 1956 Olympics as a sophomore in college. You might say the same thing for Usain Bolt: he got off to a fast start at an early age.

But, I think there is a bigger statistical argument than "everybody is better these days," meaning that it is simply more competitive. And, that is the more we "assign" winning competitive events to luck, the less chance, by definition, we assign to skills.

I can compete with Lebron James flipping quarters to see how many heads I can get out of a hundred flips (pure luck); but, I can't compete with him to see how many free throws I can make out of a hundred shots (almost pure skill).

Just in general, the more you think luck has to do with winning a slew of Classics, the less chance we see another KVD. The more skill you think anglers have, the more likely we will see another Martin or Clunn or KVD.

I think we will see another one day. To me, it has quite a high skill rating.

Brad

Re: Whos the next KVD? [Re: JC Skeeter] #12624159 02/12/18 09:58 PM
B
Bill Durham Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
I don't think there will be another KVD.. not because their isn't any anglers with his skill set.. but because the competition is at such a high level now that it will be extremely hard for anybody to dominate the sport. All of the fishermen say it.. the guys on the Elite Series are the best in the world.. top to bottom.

Re: Whos the next KVD? [Re: Jarrett Latta] #12624176 02/12/18 10:07 PM
John175☮ Online Happy
MACHO MAN
Online Happy
MACHO MAN
Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta
Never.....no more information rule fixed that. The amount of info traded in the last 25 years is incredible.

^^^This.

“Do not pray for easier lives. Pray to be stronger men.” -JFK
Re: Whos the next KVD? [Re: kellisag] #12624187 02/12/18 10:12 PM
C
crankn101 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: kellisag
BP would be hard to bet against but so would many others....
Lee Brothers, Lucas, Dustin Connell just to name a few

Everyone you listed has already failed at being the next KVD.

Re: Whos the next KVD? [Re: John175☮] #12624191 02/12/18 10:16 PM
James Biggs Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted By: John175

^^^This.

roflmao yall really believe these guys dont get info anymore?

Re: Whos the next KVD? [Re: JC Skeeter] #12624201 02/12/18 10:22 PM
R
Ripinlip Offline
Angler
Angler
R
I believe there is someone who could be the next KVD or at least he thinks he as good!!! But you wont find him on TV need to go to squaw creek to see this guy in action!!! clap

Last edited by Ripinlip; 02/12/18 10:23 PM.

Cross Timbers Bass Club
Re: Whos the next KVD? [Re: JC Skeeter] #12624207 02/12/18 10:25 PM
B
Big Ned Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
I agree with Durham going to be hard to ever duplicate what KVD has done. The off limits rule applies to really only places like or similar to the Sabine most reservoirs these guys are going to find them. Big delta systems may throw a curve ball but all these guys do their homework. The internet does help tremendously in location of stuff going on and with BASS going to diverse fisheries the timing of the year can change that. There are some guys on the Elite series that may get close but I think the bar has been set by KVD. Jordan is amazing and will have his time as is Dustin Connell but this is a new era and every tournament will prove to be a different venture. That is what makes BASS great. The one person I think that can adapt and maybe be close is Palunik he really seems to be able to read the water, weather , etc. but to match KVD don't see it happening.

Re: Whos the next KVD? [Re: Brad R] #12624210 02/12/18 10:26 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Brad R
One general rule when you see someone dominate for a very long time is they get one of their wins, here a Classic, on the books at a very early age. So, Al Oerter would be a great example (first Olympian to win 4 gold medals in consecutive Olympics - Discus) as he won the 1956 Olympics as a sophomore in college. You might say the same thing for Usain Bolt: he got off to a fast start at an early age.

But, I think there is a bigger statistical argument than "everybody is better these days," meaning that it is simply more competitive. And, that is the more we "assign" winning competitive events to luck, the less chance, by definition, we assign to skills.

I can compete with Lebron James flipping quarters to see how many heads I can get out of a hundred flips (pure luck); but, I can't compete with him to see how many free throws I can make out of a hundred shots (almost pure skill).

Just in general, the more you think luck has to do with winning a slew of Classics, the less chance we see another KVD. The more skill you think anglers have, the more likely we will see another Martin or Clunn or KVD.

Brad

I have to agree with just about everything you said Brad. The big difference from the other sports and fishing is you're dealing with a live opponent that can see, hear, feel and to an extent think and reason. Some guys have instincts about how, when and where to fish during different seasons and they are pretty successful. KVD may be blessed with those instincts. A fisheries biologist might have an advantage locating fish and learn the techniques necessary to catch them and be a contender. But unlike other sports there is the luck factor involved in catching bass which I have experienced to a small extent, but you can't be as successful as KVD with just luck. One thing for sure you have to be extremely dedicated, be able to spend countless hours devoted to TOW, have a butt load of confidence in what you're doing and be financially able to hang in until you garner some support from sponsors. If there's another KVD out there he's probably still in high school or college and training right now to be the next GOAT but it may be another 10-15 years before we know his name. Right now KVD is still the GOAT and I'm enjoying watching him ply his trade just like I enjoyed watching Nicklaus, Earnhardt, Emmitt and Nolan be the best at their sport.

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Re: Whos the next KVD? [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES] #12624299 02/12/18 11:18 PM
B
Brad R Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES
Originally Posted By: Brad R

Brad

I have to agree with just about everything you said Brad. The big difference from the other sports and fishing is you're dealing with a live opponent that can see, hear, feel and to an extent think and reason. Some guys have instincts about how, when and where to fish during different seasons and they are pretty successful. KVD may be blessed with those instincts. A fisheries biologist might have an advantage locating fish and learn the techniques necessary to catch them and be a contender. But unlike other sports there is the luck factor involved in catching bass which I have experienced to a small extent, but you can't be as successful as KVD with just luck. One thing for sure you have to be extremely dedicated, be able to spend countless hours devoted to TOW, have a butt load of confidence in what you're doing and be financially able to hang in until you garner some support from sponsors. If there's another KVD out there he's probably still in high school or college and training right now to be the next GOAT but it may be another 10-15 years before we know his name. Right now KVD is still the GOAT and I'm enjoying watching him ply his trade just like I enjoyed watching Nicklaus, Earnhardt, Emmitt and Nolan be the best at their sport.

I totally agree, actually, that there is definitely a bigger element of luck in fishing than, say, shooting free throws in my prior example. In the latter, two competitors have the exact same circumstances. On the water, this can't be so.

But, enough skills in angling that I suspect someone will catch a few breaks added to their mad skills, get dialed up as another KVD. I sure hope so! It'd be great for the sport.

Brad

Re: Whos the next KVD? [Re: JC Skeeter] #12624318 02/12/18 11:30 PM
W
westxbass82 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
W
Brent Ehrler will come close.

Look at his career in FLW, then look at how much he has already accomplished in his short career in BASS. He may not be the next KVD, but he will go down as a legend at the end of his career.

Re: Whos the next KVD? [Re: JC Skeeter] #12624348 02/12/18 11:50 PM
M. Alexander Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I don't think there'll be another VanDam, but there's a lot of great, young anglers on tour. Jordan Lee would be my pick as a legend in the making. Had the pleasure of sharing a boat with him in the Opens...talent, desire, humility -- it's all there.

Mark
Re: Whos the next KVD? [Re: James Biggs] #12624513 02/13/18 01:21 AM
J
Jarrett Latta Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
Originally Posted By: James Biggs
Originally Posted By: John175

^^^This.

roflmao yall really believe these guys dont get info anymore?

I know they do, just saying it may never be to the extent it was in the 90's and 2000s with the change.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide