61 Forums
829795 Topics
12058550 Posts

Max Online: 36273 @ 01/23/13 02:34 PM
Topic Options
#12620415 - 02/10/18 11:41 AM Jack Plate Setting
KevinTM Offline
Green Horn

I have a 2010 Skeeter zx190 DC w/ 150 v-max and I am having a little trouble dialing it in. The Slide Master jack plate(12" set back) has little dot indentions(indicators) on the side of the jack plate. Right now I have 4 dots showing(inside of plate 1" above outside). The center of my prop shaft is 4" below the pad of the boat. This is the setting that came from the factory. I have read alot of post that suggest that the prop shaft center should be 3" to 3.5" below the pad. Running a stock 23m prop. Right now I can run straight at a pretty good clip but when I turn I get alot of blow out or cavitation. I am no where near the 60 mph that everyone else says they run. I have lowered the motor, about an inch, which made the turning alot better. I was wondering if anyone out there with a zx190 would mind sharing their numbers so that I can get some idea where I stand. Had many boats but this is my first with a jack plate. Thanks....................

#12620466 - 02/10/18 12:32 PM Re: Jack Plate Setting [Re: KevinTM]
Pat Goff Online   content
TFF Celebrity

Loc: Marble Falls/Seadrift
First you need to understand that speed claims on the internet are always suspect. A guy makes a downwind run in a empty boat, three gallons of gas and it’s forty degrees. He Wes seventy for a second and from that point forward he has a seventy mph rig and if you’re not running the same you have issues.

Does he have a seventy mph boat? Nope
I want a real speed with a real load. Which means on yours is probably 55-58 mph.

As far as your plate setting every boat has its own best height because no two hulls, motors, loads and especially props are identical. And most props will perform better after a skilled hand has touched them.

Your cavitation in a turn is common and a bit more cup on the blade tips will make a difference.
Get with Steve’s prop at Fork and get it done right. After you get it back take it to the lake and with your regular load raise the plate 1/4” at a time unti you lose speed, lift or water pressure. Back down a click and only then will you know the best height for your rig.

#12620603 - 02/10/18 02:22 PM Re: Jack Plate Setting [Re: KevinTM]
T Bird Offline
TFF Celebrity

Loc: Temple, Texas "Rail Town USA"
Always heard that Skeeter dials them in pretty good from factory. Give them a call with your set up numbers and see what they suggest.

#12620760 - 02/10/18 04:30 PM Re: Jack Plate Setting [Re: Pat Goff]
KevinTM Offline
Green Horn

Thanks!!

#12621037 - 02/10/18 07:23 PM Re: Jack Plate Setting [Re: Pat Goff]
PlanoPaul Offline
Angler

Loc: Plano, TX
Originally Posted By: Pat Goff
First you need to understand that speed claims on the internet are always suspect. A guy makes a downwind run in a empty boat, three gallons of gas and it’s forty degrees. He Wes seventy for a second and from that point forward he has a seventy mph rig and if you’re not running the same you have issues.

Does he have a seventy mph boat? Nope
I want a real speed with a real load. Which means on yours is probably 55-58 mph.

As far as your plate setting every boat has its own best height because no two hulls, motors, loads and especially props are identical. And most props will perform better after a skilled hand has touched them.

Your cavitation in a turn is common and a bit more cup on the blade tips will make a difference.
Get with Steve’s prop at Fork and get it done right. After you get it back take it to the lake and with your regular load raise the plate 1/4” at a time unti you lose speed, lift or water pressure. Back down a click and only then will you know the best height for your rig.

Nice post here, so many good points thumb

#12621138 - 02/10/18 08:29 PM Re: Jack Plate Setting [Re: KevinTM]
SteezMacQueen Online   sleepy
TFF Celebrity

Loc: Red Oak, Galveston, and Pagosa...
Originally Posted By: KevinTM
I have a 2010 Skeeter zx190 DC w/ 150 v-max and I am having a little trouble dialing it in. The Slide Master jack plate(12" set back) has little dot indentions(indicators) on the side of the jack plate. Right now I have 4 dots showing(inside of plate 1" above outside). The center of my prop shaft is 4" below the pad of the boat. This is the setting that came from the factory. I have read alot of post that suggest that the prop shaft center should be 3" to 3.5" below the pad. Running a stock 23m prop. Right now I can run straight at a pretty good clip but when I turn I get alot of blow out or cavitation. I am no where near the 60 mph that everyone else says they run. I have lowered the motor, about an inch, which made the turning alot better. I was wondering if anyone out there with a zx190 would mind sharing their numbers so that I can get some idea where I stand. Had many boats but this is my first with a jack plate. Thanks....................

I have the same boat and motor. With a full load, full fuel and livewells, it is a 55mph boat at best. 57 empty. This is GPS. The boat just can't go 60.

#12621468 - 02/11/18 06:49 AM Re: Jack Plate Setting [Re: SteezMacQueen]
KevinTM Offline
Green Horn

SteezMacQueen, where is your motor set? How many dimples, on the side of jack plate, you have showing? I've had one gut tell me that the difference between the slide part and fixed part is one and three quarter inch. Mine is not quiet an inch. I'm not a speed freak, I just want boat to run at its most efficient rate, whether that's 50 or 55. Thanks....

© 1998-2018 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide