Print Thread
Replacing/Fixing Moulded in Bait well #12615046 02/07/18 03:00 PM
M
MamaTried-ATX Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
M
I have a 2007 Triton LTS. The bait well is giving me problems. Water leaks out of the bait well and into the bilge anytime there is water in the bait well. Fill and recirc pump operation doesn't seem to affect the leak. I think it may be where the piping affixes to the well. I had a shop try to fix it. They said yes there was a leak but cant physically get to it to fix it and that someone will have to cut the bait well out, fix leak and then fix the fiberglass. They couldn't do that and didn't know anybody that would. I've been just not using the bait well and using the live well instead. It's that time of year where I "try" to get everything in shape for spring and summer an having a messed up baitwell is an annoyance. Anyone have ideas on how to approach this or know of a shop that could help in a reasonable time period? Bait well appears to be either molded in or covered by a modeled piece. It looks line this.

Re: Replacing/Fixing Moulded in Bait well [Re: MamaTried-ATX] #12616180 02/08/18 02:20 AM
Gamblinman Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
May have to "plumb around" the leaking part if its inaccessible.

Re: Replacing/Fixing Moulded in Bait well [Re: MamaTried-ATX] #12669361 03/12/18 09:30 PM
M
MamaTried-ATX Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
M
Well, I finally got the boat out of the slip and on the trailer in the driveway. Put in the drain plug, filled up the baitwell and immediately found the leak. There is a 90 degree drain fitting out the bottom of the tank. The threaded coupler that clamps the fitting in place is missing. I assume it must have cracked and eventually broke off. The drain fitting has shifted and leak is between the fitting flange and the bottom of the baitwell. Relatively easy to find but more difficult to access. The baitwell drain is maybe 1 1/4" dia and connects to a short piece of hose, maybe 4"long, that tee's into a larger hose from the deck drain to the transom through hull. Access really is a mess. I'm not sure I can physically get to any of the hose fitting. I think most of this plumping was put in place before the deck was attached to the hull. So, a lot of the hose clamps are turned wrong for access through the tiny deck access and it all has to be done blind. I'm going to try to remove the baitwell recirc pump to gain room and disconnect the main drain hose at the deck drain to flex the main rain but I'm not confident.

Looking at options, I was thinking of prying the existing outlet up a bit into the baitwell and then putting some sealant underneath the flange. Maybe something like butyl RV roof tape. Its super sticky and I can work it into a gasket. I could then drill some small holes through the flange into the baitwell fiberglass and screw the flange in place with some stainless screws. Thoughts?

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide