Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Patagonia fly fishing trip #12596881 01/26/18 10:11 PM
F
flycast Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
F
Hey everyone im headed to Bariloche Argentina in the Patagonia region at the end of February. This will be my first time to Patagonia and im am a well seasoned trout fishermen. I Lived in colorado 6 years and was on the water at least 4 days a week! Anyhow, i am looking for advice on DIY wade fishing Rio Limay or Rio Manso. Do i really need a guide? I have a rental car, can i find open water? I think im gonna book a day trip with www.troutbariloche.com but wanted to see if anyone has some first hand information to save some $$, and perhaps the overall fishing scene in bariloche. Thanks in advance!

Tight Lines!

Re: Patagonia fly fishing trip [Re: flycast] #12597833 01/27/18 05:41 PM
krawlin 47 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
How freaking exciting...I have no clue but I have looked at Patagonia on line many times and it looks insane.

I just bought a place in CO and am just starting...so much to learn

Hope you have the trip of a life time flycast!

Whether you think you can or you can't, you are probably right.
Re: Patagonia fly fishing trip [Re: flycast] #12598527 01/28/18 07:26 AM
R
Robert Hunter Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
Well welcometo the forum. I hope you stick around long enough to post some pictures of the results! Somebody will come along soon that has been to that region. Im sure No one has to tell you to consider yourself lucky cant wait to see the results!

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [url=https://postimages.org/][img]https://i.postimg.cc/bsQJFvLj/
Re: Patagonia fly fishing trip [Re: flycast] #12598844 01/28/18 04:29 PM
J
Jesse10 Offline
Angler
Angler
J
Hey flycast, I spent a month down there back in 2006. The Limay would be a great option if youre staying around Bariloche. By buddy caught a 31 inch brown on our first day fishing the Limay, complete fluke imo. I like the Esquel area because it has a ton of options. Los Alerces Park is incredible. Theres countless rivers and streams in that area. The Rivadavia is a great 1 day float. It has a spring creek branching off of it and the terrestrial fishing is insane. In the early season (December), the fish ate like they were starving. El Boliche de Alberto in Bariloche is a steakhouse you must try. Steaks are cheap and its some of the best beef Ive had. I could go on and on about Patagonia, but I wont bore everyone. Pm me if you would like more info. Hope I can help.

Re: Patagonia fly fishing trip [Re: Jesse10] #12599080 01/28/18 08:28 PM
F
flycast Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
F
Thanks so much for the positive vibes everyone, I am truly blessed to have this oppurtunity! Jesse10 thanks for your advice and recommendations! I'm going to Def book a day float trip on the limay, otherwise with all the creeks and streams around bariloche I'm sure I will have no problem finding some easy access points. I will Def follow up and share some pictures of my trip. I will be back at the end of feb, so stay tuned!

Re: Patagonia fly fishing trip [Re: Jesse10] #12602121 01/30/18 04:57 PM
J
justhrowit Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
I don't think you'd bore anyone if you continued on....

Originally Posted By: Jesse10
Hey flycast, I spent a month down there back in 2006. The Limay would be a great option if youre staying around Bariloche. By buddy caught a 31 inch brown on our first day fishing the Limay, complete fluke imo. I like the Esquel area because it has a ton of options. Los Alerces Park is incredible. Theres countless rivers and streams in that area. The Rivadavia is a great 1 day float. It has a spring creek branching off of it and the terrestrial fishing is insane. In the early season (December), the fish ate like they were starving. El Boliche de Alberto in Bariloche is a steakhouse you must try. Steaks are cheap and its some of the best beef Ive had. I could go on and on about Patagonia, but I wont bore everyone. Pm me if you would like more info. Hope I can help.

This is my signature.
Re: Patagonia fly fishing trip [Re: flycast] #12603009 01/31/18 01:57 AM
F
Fwt Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F
How's your Spanish?

Re: Patagonia fly fishing trip [Re: flycast] #12603065 01/31/18 02:17 AM
J
Jesse10 Offline
Angler
Angler
J
Ok. I guess those of you who would enjoy reading my poor writing will have a choice. The idea of taking an extended trip to Patagonia started on a weekend trip to Beavers Bend. I had researched this dream a tad before proposing this trip to my two buddies. After a long day fishing and a couple of beers, I layed it down. They both asked, When do we leave?!!! We planned out everything and bought our plane tickets in less than 8 months. The anticipation was brutal! We left out the day after thanksgiving and arrived in Buenos Aires in the afternoon. We jumped on a 20 hour bus ride to Bariloche. We arrived in Bariloche early morning and started hunting a decent rental car place. We fished the Limay the next day from the bank and my buddy landed a 31 inch brown. I though to myself, if this is any indication of what Patagonia is going to be like, I may never leave! The steakhouse, El Boliche de Alberto, was incredible. I ordered one thing all three times we went, a salad, filet mignon, plates full of fries, and Malbec of course. They put like three 6oz filets on your plate. It was like 25 US per person, oh and dessert, vanilla ice cream topped with caramel and fresh raspberries. Enough of that, we headed to Esquel the next morning (3 1/2 hours south of Bariloche.) We drove to Alerces Park to fish the Rivadavia. As we were traveling down this rocky mountain road, I felt a strong breeze from the back of our Volkswagen Golf. We stopped the car and discovered the hatchback was open, we had not lost our backpacks, gear, or our boats. Dodged that bullet. Our plans were to float different rivers and hitch hike back to the car. While enroute to the Rivadavia, we came across a big family cooking near their residence (actually on Lago Verde.) We pulled up and did our best to communicate with this family. We finally arranged to camp there at Rauls place on the lake. Raul agreed to drop us off above the Rivadavia. As we were driving to the launch, we blew one of many tires. Raul jumped out and threw our spare on in 5 minutes it seemed. Raul was about 4 foot tall and approximately 80 years young. After we made it to the launch, Raul checked out our alpacka rafts with amazement. I guess not many people float these rivers in such small rafts. We fished the Rivadavia and its spring creek that day. The Rivadavia spring creek was nothing short of amazing. Rainbows and Browns would levitate from the depths, slowly to eat your fly in slow motion it seemed. We spent a lot of time on this spring creek. Camping on the river was prohibited, but we couldnt help ourselves. We decided to build a fire on the bank that evening, get warm, and start cooking. After we ate our normal bread, pasta, and wine, we buried hot coals under our tent to keep warm. We stayed toasty all night and had no damage to our tent luckily. We fished this area several days and decided to drive south. We tried to fish Tres Lagos, but the wind blew us away. We managed several 24-28 inch fish on streamers one evening when the wind layed.. We crossed over the Futaleufu into Chile and floated the Futaleufu one day (flows were extremely high that time of year.) We Loaded up our gear and went back to Alerces Park area near Esquel and fished a couple days. We ran into a couple guys we knew from New Braunfels on the Rivadavia spring creek, very small world! They were actually guiding for a lodge in San Martin de los Andes. They invited us to the lodge up north, so we took them up on the offer. They let us borrow a 3 man pontoon and dropped us off on a private lake. We smoked brook trout all day on dry droppers. These brookies averaged between 2 and 3 pounds. We stayed at the lodge 2 nights, returned our car to Bariloche, and caught a bus back to Buenos Aires the next day. We flew home, depression set in, and weve been wanting to go back since we left. I apologize for the horrible writing and punctuation. I hope some of you will enjoy. Cheers!

Re: Patagonia fly fishing trip [Re: flycast] #12603771 01/31/18 04:23 PM
J
Jesse10 Offline
Angler
Angler
J
We swung streamers to 18-22 inch rainbows on the crystal clear waters of the Rivadavia. These fish would follow the fly 20 feet before they ate. The Rivadavia spring creek fished like a spring creek that no one had fished in 100 years. The brook trout in this creek were so fat and colorful. I could have stayed at this creek and never fished anywhere else for the rest of my life. I caught my best brown on a leech. I saw this fish, rushed a crappy cast, the fish moved 10 feet and ate. I have a ton of pics. Ill try to post soon.

Re: Patagonia fly fishing trip [Re: Jesse10] #12604584 02/01/18 01:46 AM
J
justhrowit Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
All of that typing and not one single photo? RUDE.
Patagonia is way high on my bucket list. I was in Santiago in 2007 for a grad school trip. Stayed 11 days. I still kick myself for not taking another 10 days to get into Argentina and fish. Back then, I had no kids and an already failing marriage. Would have been good timing. I had another opportunity this past November. I had a trip to Cordoba all planned for a wing shoot. I tried to combine a fishing trip, but it wouldn't work out back here at home with some other commitments. I ended up cancelling the trip altogether. SOME DAY. Great write up. How bout photos of that 31"er?

Originally Posted By: Jesse10
Ok. I guess those of you who would enjoy reading my poor writing will have a choice. The idea of taking an extended trip to Patagonia started on a weekend trip to Beavers Bend...

This is my signature.
Re: Patagonia fly fishing trip [Re: flycast] #12604605 02/01/18 01:55 AM
J
Jesse10 Offline
Angler
Angler
J
I know. I know. These pictures are incredible. Ive since moved twice. Ill text my buddy and get the pics. I actually gave my ex wife the gate right before we left for Argentina. If you get the opportunity to go, I would recommend at least a 2 week stay. You may never get another opportunity, so make the best of now.

Re: Patagonia fly fishing trip [Re: Jesse10] #12605027 02/01/18 01:47 PM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Two weeks? Sounds like a place to have a two month visit, or a vacation house...maybe even buy a new rod for the occasion! Great story, waiting on the pics....

Re: Patagonia fly fishing trip [Re: Jesse10] #12605028 02/01/18 01:48 PM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Two weeks? Sounds like a place to have a two month visit, or a vacation house...maybe even buy a new rod for the occasion! Great story, waiting on the pics....

Re: Patagonia fly fishing trip [Re: flycast] #12605123 02/01/18 02:46 PM
J
Jesse10 Offline
Angler
Angler
J
Hey crapicat, my pockets dont have hundred dollar bills falling out of them like yours! Why dont you buy a cabin down there and Ill come visit? PLEASE?!!!

Re: Patagonia fly fishing trip [Re: flycast] #12605127 02/01/18 02:47 PM
J
Jesse10 Offline
Angler
Angler
J
Im trying to get this brown posted, but forgot how to post pics. Stand by.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide