Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Biggest Bass You've Laid Eyes On #12596143 01/26/18 01:14 PM
J
Jpurdue Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
J
What's the biggest bass you've laid eyes on? The biggest I've personally handled is 10.5lbs. I hooked one I watched come out of the water I'm confident topped 13. She hit so hard it was nearly jerked the rod out of my hand and then she just started peeling drag. She came 2/3 the way out of the water trying to throw the hook then proceeded to wrapped herself around a post and snap my line before I got a chance to even really process what was going on. Heart-breaker. I had the GoPro going but all this occurred just off frame so all that was captured was the embarrassingly long tantrum I threw immediately after.

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Biggest Bass You've Laid Eyes On [Re: Jpurdue] #12596150 01/26/18 01:23 PM
Chet Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
13-4 caught by guide on Fork
15-3 lawyer in Cuba

Re: Biggest Bass You've Laid Eyes On [Re: Jpurdue] #12596166 01/26/18 01:45 PM
D
dobbin Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Dipped a 10.5 on Amistad his first over 10.... Richland Chambers ready to dip another that looked bigger than the 10.5 but something happened and it came unbuttoned. Fish swam away just out of dipping distance, never made an attempt to dip it as it was not ready.
Biggest one I caught was on Richland fishing for sand bass. I was the only bass fisherman on board all that was said was throw it back. I just wanted to weigh it but they would not dig out the scales. The eyes on that fish were as big as quarters. Guessed it around 11 #'.

Champion Jigs
Re: Biggest Bass You've Laid Eyes On [Re: Jpurdue] #12596177 01/26/18 01:58 PM
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Groovy
I was sitting in the restaurant at Rainswood Marina eating a burger. It was just before dark and I had been on the water with clients all day. I saw this older boat pull into the gas dock and tie up. These two guys fumbled around in the boat and pulled this fish out of the livewell. He starts walking up the bank toward the store.
I run over to the front of the store where Bill Kells is sitting at the cash register and tell him, "A new state record is about to walk around the corner!"

About that time Jerry New & partner rounds the corner carrying this fish and walks into the store.

Lake Fork 17.63 26.25 8/29/1990 Jerry L. New

We go out into the little room where the live minnows were kept and instruct Jerry to put his fish into a bait tank to keep it cool until the GW can get there. Bill and I both agree this fish is well over 17 pounds and could very easily eclipse Stevenson's State Record. Bill calls Gary Duggan and asks him to come witness the catch.

Gary shows up about 30 mins later and Bill & I pull this massive fish out of the bait tank and sit her on the scale. She misses being a new state record by less than one ounce! Being that this was a late summer fish, there is no telling what she would have weighed in Feb but she was STACKED!!!

Last edited by Ken A.; 01/26/18 02:08 PM.

Re: Biggest Bass You've Laid Eyes On [Re: Jpurdue] #12596178 01/26/18 01:58 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
The fish I caught on Waco a little over a year ago was the biggest I've seen, in person. It was over 13 pounds weighed by TPWD. ....after a short debate with what was best for the fish and what my ego wanted, I returned the fish to where I landed it.

I have seen pictures of some true freak giants.....but none first hand.

Lost a really big one on Athens during a tourney. Don't know how big it was, but it was the strongest bass I've ever hooked. That fish was a tail walking BEAST!!!!

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Biggest Bass You've Laid Eyes On [Re: Ken A.] #12596183 01/26/18 01:59 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted By: Ken A.
I was sitting in the restaurant at Rainswood Marina eating a burger. It was just before dark and I had been on the water with clients all day. I saw this older boat pull into the gas dock and tie up. These two guys fumbled around in the boat and pulled this fish out of the livewell. He starts walking up the bank toward the store.
I run over to the front of the store where Bill Kells is sitting at the cash register and tell him, "A new state record is being brought up to the scales!"

About that time Jerry New & partner rounds the corner carrying this fish and walks into the store.

Lake Fork 17.63 26.25 8/29/1990 Jerry L. New

We go out into the little room where the live minnows were kept and instruct Jerry to put his fish into a bait tank to keep it cool until the GW can get there. Bill and I both agree this fish is well over 17 pounds and could very easily eclipse Stevenson's State Record. Bill calls Gary Duggan and asks him to come witness the catch.

Gary shows up about 30 mins later and Bill & I pull this massive fish out of the bait tank and sit her on the scale. She misses being a new state record by less than one ounce! Being that this was a late summer fish, there is no telling what she would have weighed in Feb but she was STACKED!!!
flehan

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Biggest Bass You've Laid Eyes On [Re: Jpurdue] #12596192 01/26/18 02:03 PM
TBassYates Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Was fishing an Open tournament in mid 90's with my team partner Kenny. I kept seeing a fish moving in the water like it was chasing bream or something from a bed. I kept throwing the bait I was using at the time, Phantom Tackle Phish Stick, and couldn't get it to hit. Kenny was throwing a buzzbait through this spawning area and I said next time we see that fish wake throw that buzzbait over there. Within the next 20 or 30 seconds we see movement and he chunks that buzzbait over. About 10 feet from the boat is an explosion and this fish comes right at the boat on top of the water. It is moving off and is pretty much going full speed on it's side. This fish is huge and the biggest I ever saw that close up in the water. I jump down to get the net and when I jump back up on deck I hear something and the buzzbait comes flying right past both of our heads. We fish around for a while longer with no more bites. We go in and tell his step dad where and what happened. He goes out the next day and catches a 13 1/2 lber that was still on a bed in that exact spot.

[Linked Image]
Re: Biggest Bass You've Laid Eyes On [Re: Jpurdue] #12596212 01/26/18 02:10 PM
B
bassmanrudy Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Biggest I've ever touched was my sister's 11 lb 12 oz bass caught on a SK 8.0 crank at Hearthland 10/10 Ranch! Cloudy, windy day and the fish were mostly hitting a spinnerbait but she wanted to throw that and WOW sure glad she did!! That fish so should have gotten off several times as it wrapped itself around timber and it was only 12lb flouro on the line and yeah I think I screamed more than she did as I knew that was def the Biggest fish I had ever seen in person!

My PB is 9lbs and just doesn't even come close.. is in the pic as a side by side comparison. Fishing Heartland 10/10 Ranch at a different time threw a topwater walking bait as the feeders came on and there came a HUGE splash and set the hook and then started stripping line and "snap" there goes 14lb line just thread... next time I go there using at least 20lb line!

Re: Biggest Bass You've Laid Eyes On [Re: Jpurdue] #12596228 01/26/18 02:20 PM
T
teambassmanager Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
13.88 lbs. Sharelunker #558 the last official Sharelunker from Lake Fork in 4+ years..

Bass Manager Staff 🎣
Live Action 24/7 🎥
⬇️⬇️ SIGN UP FREE ⬇️⬇️
"ᴀ sᴏᴄɪᴀʟ ɴᴇᴛᴡᴏʀᴋ ғᴏʀ
 ᴀᴠɪᴅ ʙᴀss ғɪsʜᴇʀᴍᴇɴ"
www.bassmanager.com
Re: Biggest Bass You've Laid Eyes On [Re: Jpurdue] #12596230 01/26/18 02:21 PM
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Groovy
Must have been some fight. Her jeans are all torn up! LOL

Great fish!

Re: Biggest Bass You've Laid Eyes On [Re: Jpurdue] #12596300 01/26/18 03:07 PM
C
coachallentca Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
C
I got to see Ethel when David Campell had her down in Tyler. They had not built the new one in Athens yet. She was a beast..

Re: Biggest Bass You've Laid Eyes On [Re: Jpurdue] #12596307 01/26/18 03:11 PM
gary purdy Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru

The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything. Remember what He has done and remember that He is not done yet!-- GOD IS GOOD
Re: Biggest Bass You've Laid Eyes On [Re: gary purdy] #12596324 01/26/18 03:21 PM
J
Jpurdue Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted By: gary purdy

Cool! I had never seen that video before. For sure that bass was a giant. That net job would haunt me for a lifetime. I would have beat my buddy with my rod then chucked him in the lake. SHAME!

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: Biggest Bass You've Laid Eyes On [Re: Jpurdue] #12596337 01/26/18 03:32 PM
B
bassmanrudy Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
holy heck that was a MONSTER... and that guy with the net NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Re: Biggest Bass You've Laid Eyes On [Re: Jpurdue] #12596346 01/26/18 03:37 PM
Donald Harper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I have two spots on Lake Amistad that I always fish for a couple of hours every time I go about 2 miles apart. In both spots I witnessed a huge Bass that I believe are both over 20 lbs. In both situations they had wounded another fish and was stalking that pray. They were circling the stunned fish as it was quivering on the surface. One of the pray fish was a huge shad at about 1.5 lbs.. The other was a small Bass at about the same size. I am within a short casting distance from this action and using a Spook at day break. These huge Bass would not respond at all to the Spook as they were circling the stunned fish like a shark would do. Each fish gave me at least 30 seconds to witness the explosion on the pray fish and their ritual of circling before eating their pray. Both big Bass turned on their sides and took their pray by the head ever so gentile. Both then pounded themselves across the surface for about 10 feet to get the fish down their throat. This reminded me of a surf board scooting across the surface as they were still on their side. Then they both returned to the upright position and drifted out of sight. I was amazed at how exact this feeding episode was for two different fish in two different areas. I have seen some others that was not so large take the same approach many times.

These two situations and the dying quiver of the bait fish have prompted me to learn how to work the Spook and tweak the Spook to make it mimic this dying action. I have caught many big fish while making the spook do the 180 degree turns while sitting in one spot. There was one other bait that came out in the early 90's which was a Flat Fish with the spring loaded string for the line tie. It laid flat on the water like a dying Shad and the tail fluttered causing the bait to move in a tight circle. I threw this bait back in the river trees on Lake Ivie on a drizzly morning up the Colorado River and never saw that bait again. 50 lb. braid was nothing for this fish to break. I absolutely know that the Dying Quiver action works and Big Bass will respond if you can get on one in the shallows.

The largest fish in Mexico came on a Brush Hog in a 30 mile per hour wind. She was on the first bush just around the corner out of the wind on a small flat. My partner made two attempts to get her in the huge Frabill Net but she would not fit. The wind was pushing the boat away and she was dragging beside the boat. This fish was over 15 lbs. and with one more run she came unbuttoned before he could get down to lip her.

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide