texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,013
TexDawg 119,783
Bigbob_FTW 95,321
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,326
Mark Perry 72,486
Derek 🐝 68,321
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,881
Posts13,954,755
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Biggest Bass You've Laid Eyes On [Re: BlueNitro] #12619177 02/09/18 08:45 PM
C
cali kid Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
Originally Posted By: BlueNitro

This gal was 14.8 and caught the first of January by me. She was skinny (look how my hand sunk into her belly) but was 29 7/8" long with a 31" girth (if I remember correctly). I wish she was in better shape or had eggs in her because the biologist said she would have been in the 18 lb range.

I lost a couple of 18 lb fish at the boat and one that was close to 20 as guessed by the biologist that was fishing with me. This was on Vail Lake in California back in 95 through 99 and I only wish I had better line and equipment to get some of the pigs I stuck into then. I had close to 50 double digit bass that came from Casitas, Castiac, Hodges, Perris and Dixon from California. I have seen 20 lb plus bass swimming in Dixon in the spring that would make you almost fall out of your boat.

I hear ya! I haven't posted on this thread yet because most people would not believe what I have seen in the waters of Cali. The land of the Giants for sure.

The biggest I saw in Texas was either the one swimming leisurely in Mustang on Fork, or the one that jumped and broke my line and my heart on Falcon. Both looked in the 13 lb range.

I almost forgot, saw a couple with their backs near the surface at the Bell...those were probably mid teen fish.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Biggest Bass You've Laid Eyes On [Re: BlueNitro] #12619542 02/10/18 01:24 AM
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Groovy

This gal was 14.8 and caught the first of January by me. She was skinny (look how my hand sunk into her belly) but was 29 7/8" long with a 31" girth (if I remember correctly). I wish she was in better shape or had eggs in her because the biologist said she would have been in the 18 lb range.

Great fish by the way.

I caught a 15.0 from Cam Bell that was 27 long by 23 girth that was an absolute beast. Maybe yours was 21" girth. My waist is 32" if that puts it into perspective. wink

Re: Biggest Bass You've Laid Eyes On [Re: Ken A.] #12619937 02/10/18 06:19 AM
BlueNitro Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Ken A.

Great fish by the way.

I caught a 15.0 from Cam Bell that was 27 long by 23 girth that was an absolute beast. Maybe yours was 21" girth. My waist is 32" if that puts it into perspective. wink

Yeah, I looked at the info on the back of the photo in my album and it was a 21 1/2" girth. Looking for the photo with the fish with the 31" girth. It was in the 13 lb range but was stuffed with Lake Perris stocker trout. Man, I miss those days when they would stock the trout and you would sit in the cove throwing Castaic Trout baits for the big girls. I was always surprised when you would catch a 6 lb bass off them big baits but loved when a 10 plus would latch on.

LiftSaver Trolling Motor Mounting Bracket - Patent Pending and LiftSaver Transducer Pole Mount
www.liftsavertmmount.com
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Works with MG Xi5, Xi3 and MK Terrova, Ulterra, PD V2 and Riptides as well.

Re: Biggest Bass You've Laid Eyes On [Re: BlueNitro] #12619968 02/10/18 10:45 AM
RedRanger Offline
burro desagradable
burro desagradable

I lost a couple of 18 lb fish at the boat and one that was close to 20 as guessed by the biologist that was fishing with me. This was on Vail Lake in California back in 95 through 99 and I only wish I had better line and equipment to get some of the pigs I stuck into then. I had close to 50 double digit bass that came from Casitas, Castiac, Hodges, Perris and Dixon from California. I have seen 20 lb plus bass swimming in Dixon in the spring that would make you almost fall out of your boat.

I would give up Bass Fishing in Texas if that is what you were catching, it would be a killjoy to fish for Bass here after catching so many big fish there.

Re: Biggest Bass You've Laid Eyes On [Re: Jpurdue] #12624876 02/13/18 03:23 AM
B
Bassonly Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
Bad execution and inexplicable mishaps have been the cause of a lot of heartbreak for me.

The first was at Amistad in October of 2006 or 2007. Fishing a ridge in the afternoon, a low-pressure system moved in and the shad started popping over one end of what I where I was. As I trolled over I could see stripers and pods of 2-5 pound bass pushing the shad up, and I began casting a bone Super Spook in front of them.
It was one of those moments where you are looking at the right place, at just the right time. 30 feet in front of me I saw a shad bust out of the water and get eaten by a 2 pounder and immediately a giant bass engulfed both of them. I started shaking and backlashed while trying to cast to the spot. Once I picked it out I threw in and instantly got such a strike that my spook launched several feet up in the air and came back with a bent line tie and hook hanger.
I saw several other huge fish over the next few minutes and caught fish almost every cast. Never hooked up with one of those bigs though. I have seen 17's and 18's up close and in person, and I would match that with the average size of the 8-12 bass I looked at that day.

I've had over close calls, but have been fortunate and blessed to have boated most of my big fish hookups. Had a day at Fayette years ago in the summer when my partner and i found a mega school. We caught 19 over 7 pounds inlcuding a 10.4 and an 11.2. We did break off and lose several that were bigger, but in the heat of the moment it didn't hurt too bad.

Re: Biggest Bass You've Laid Eyes On [Re: RedRanger] #12627151 02/14/18 01:20 PM
BlueNitro Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: RedRanger

I would give up Bass Fishing in Texas if that is what you were catching, it would be a killjoy to fish for Bass here after catching so many big fish there.

Yep, that is why I Crappie fish now. Vail Lake had some big crappie too.

I did fish Texas lakes quite a bit and caught a few double digit bass including a 13.91 but didn't know about the SAL program so I took a few pictures and let her go. splat

Here are 4 bass from Vail Lake that were all over 10lbs that were caught on the same day. The lake biologist wanted to go out with me to learn how I was catching all the big bass. That was the day I lost the one that was close to 20.

I just wish we had camera phones/Go-Pro's back then so I had more pics of all the DD bass I caught.

LiftSaver Trolling Motor Mounting Bracket - Patent Pending and LiftSaver Transducer Pole Mount
www.liftsavertmmount.com
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Works with MG Xi5, Xi3 and MK Terrova, Ulterra, PD V2 and Riptides as well.

Re: Biggest Bass You've Laid Eyes On [Re: Jpurdue] #12629678 02/15/18 07:25 PM
Do-Nothin Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
In college at Lake Talquin in February in Florida. Arm stretch this and that... two biggest fish I've ever seen. I did not catch the biggest one, but wasn't turning down a photo op. With our scale, weighed the biggest at 13.06 and the other one just shy of 10.

[Linked Image]
Re: Biggest Bass You've Laid Eyes On [Re: Do-Nothin] #12630207 02/16/18 01:01 AM
B
BassObsessed Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Originally Posted By: Do-Nothin
In college at Lake Talquin in February in Florida. Arm stretch this and that... two biggest fish I've ever seen. I did not catch the biggest one, but wasn't turning down a photo op. With our scale, weighed the biggest at 13.06 and the other one just shy of 10.

That lake has some chunks caught out of there lately.

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide