Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Biggest Bass You've Laid Eyes On [Re: Jpurdue] #12596351 01/26/18 03:39 PM
J
Jarrett Latta Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
A year after I caught my Sharelunker my buddy hooked one in the same spot on a large swimbait. She swam alongside the boat and was clearly as big as my 13. Nac fish are notoriously long. Mine was 27". His fish went under and surfaced on the other side while clipping the trolling motor and breaking him off. Epic loss. He sat silent for 15-20 min.

For me the largest I've ever seen, even bigger than the 3 13+ I've landed, was on toledo in Bassnbucks 2015 at it's peak. She was on a bed in 7-8ft of water under a thick haygrass mat near the river channel. She would slowly ease out when you got close to the mat alongside a 4lb male. I've seen hundreds of big fish on beds and nothing comes close to this fish. It reminded me of the fish that Mike long videos in California. Once they get 13-15+ it seems their tail becomes huge. That's how I described this fish. I honestly thought it was carp the first couple times I saw her. Cold front came in morning of the tournament and I never saw her again due to 2-3ft waves on her. She was possibly a lake record. I did end up catching a 10+ that day for the Toledo Lunker program at least.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Biggest Bass You've Laid Eyes On [Re: Jpurdue] #12596408 01/26/18 04:21 PM
S
SC-001 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
I saw a bag that had two 10 lbers in it at tourney on waco once, those are the #1 and 2 biggest fish I've seen.

Re: Biggest Bass You've Laid Eyes On [Re: Jpurdue] #12596410 01/26/18 04:22 PM
B
BigCrank+1 Offline
Angler
Angler
B
I saw two at Toledo that I guessed were over 13#s. Both on beds both in the same trip. The one in Indian Mounds was the biggest. Fish was a freak. Had a 4+ male with her. She never would stay put. The other one was in Six Mile underneath a walkway behind a dock. I thought it was a carp from a distance till I got closer and saw the male. I never could get her to bite, but she's the one that got me hooked on bed fishing. I also lost one at Falcon that was a giant too.

Hooksets are free!
Certified bent pole hunter!
Re: Biggest Bass You've Laid Eyes On [Re: Jpurdue] #12596417 01/26/18 04:28 PM
Ken A. Online Content
Groovy
Online Content
Groovy
Originally Posted By: Jpurdue
Originally Posted By: gary purdy

Cool! I had never seen that video before. For sure that bass was a giant. That net job would haunt me for a lifetime. I would have beat my buddy with my rod then chucked him in the lake. SHAME!

I bet the net-man was a tennis player the way he swatted that fish. There is an art to netting fish. My guess is they had already seen the fish surface and knew it was an Orca so I am sure they were as nervous as a long-tail-cat in a room full of rocking chairs before the camera man started rolling.

A freaking Monster for sure.

Re: Biggest Bass You've Laid Eyes On [Re: Jpurdue] #12596425 01/26/18 04:32 PM
krawlin 47 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I saw two 11's in one day when Mafouz and Harelson wrecked them on Falcon while I stayed hung up all day cheers

Whether you think you can or you can't, you are probably right.
Re: Biggest Bass You've Laid Eyes On [Re: Jpurdue] #12596429 01/26/18 04:35 PM
5-20 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
During a club tourney on Lake Austin, me and my partner fished a spot for around 20-30 mins and then decided to move along the flat. About 100-150 feet down, by chance I just happened to look behind me and I see this absolutely massive fish leap out of the water. My eyes popped out. I told my buddy to turn the boat around and head back to that spot. I tied on a topwater, had a feeling it wasnt the right one, cut that off and tied another one on.

Second cast to the spot I got a beautiful 10.5 to blow up on my bait and that ended up being a new club record.

The thing Ive always wondered about.... the fish that I saw jump behind me honestly looked several pounds bigger. Like it could have been one of those 15-18 lb fish.

Toads for breakfast, lunch and dinner!
Re: Biggest Bass You've Laid Eyes On [Re: Jpurdue] #12596435 01/26/18 04:37 PM
R
RJF1423 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
I love these threads. Surely some claims are exaggerated but it is still interesting to hear.

I've netted a 9.5 and held one 10. Lost a few fish that I believe were over 10. One that still haunts me to this day was at Lake AH. Was about mid day, fishing had gotten tough and then I hooked into a fish that I was not able to control. 20 lb fluorocarbon and drag set as tight as possible. Hooked into it fought it for about 10 seconds, peeling drag the entire time, dove into a bush and then the dreaded PING... Didn't really get a great look at it but it was HUGE.

Re: Biggest Bass You've Laid Eyes On [Re: Ken A.] #12596495 01/26/18 05:18 PM
L
LSUfan Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
L
Originally Posted By: Ken A.
I was sitting in the restaurant at Rainswood Marina eating a burger. It was just before dark and I had been on the water with clients all day. I saw this older boat pull into the gas dock and tie up. These two guys fumbled around in the boat and pulled this fish out of the livewell. He starts walking up the bank toward the store.
I run over to the front of the store where Bill Kells is sitting at the cash register and tell him, "A new state record is about to walk around the corner!"

About that time Jerry New & partner rounds the corner carrying this fish and walks into the store.

Lake Fork 17.63 26.25 8/29/1990 Jerry L. New

We go out into the little room where the live minnows were kept and instruct Jerry to put his fish into a bait tank to keep it cool until the GW can get there. Bill and I both agree this fish is well over 17 pounds and could very easily eclipse Stevenson's State Record. Bill calls Gary Duggan and asks him to come witness the catch.

Gary shows up about 30 mins later and Bill & I pull this massive fish out of the bait tank and sit her on the scale. She misses being a new state record by less than one ounce! Being that this was a late summer fish, there is no telling what she would have weighed in Feb but she was STACKED!!!

your talking about "Carol"!

My dad, J.E. Hamm, was the guy who had taken Jerry fishing that night. He missed a bite and told Jerry to throw in behind him, and well the results of that cast will live in history forever. She was so big that she wouldn't fit in the net so dad had to lift her in the boat! They did a local TV show that showcased Jerry and my dad releasing her back into the lake a few months later.

I can't tell you the number of double digit fish that my dad pulled out of that lake and several were caught off of that spot. I enjoy looking through his old pictures of all of them and I can remember one instance we had just launched the boat into Little Caney and he caught one that was between 14-15lbs. I asked him if he was going to keep it and turn it in and he smiled and said "After you have lipped a 17lb+ you only have one goal while fishing", he then said "thank you" to her and put her back in the water. I thought the other guys who were in another boat but fishing with us were going to come unglued because they saw the size of it and couldn't believe he released her lol.

That lake was an amazing place back in those days and I was blessed with a dad that would drive 3+ hrs one way 2 times a week with me in tow to fish it. He spent years driving around that lake with paper graphs gathering information, bringing it home and studying it! I swear he knows almost every bend in every creek out there, but that was his way of doing things. It is and always will be a special place and I have revisited the spot several times where "Carol" came from in hopes history will repeat itself!

Jerry and dad were partners for a long time and both were given replicas of "Carol".

Here is the picture of "Carol" held by Jerry New and J.E. Hamm

Last edited by LSUfan; 01/26/18 05:22 PM.
Re: Biggest Bass You've Laid Eyes On [Re: Jpurdue] #12596501 01/26/18 05:23 PM
D
Dr JL Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Fortunate for my sanity the biggest fish I have seen in the water while sight fishing I caught-14.60.
I also saw my 15.5 and 15.25 from Bell but they had totally different bodies.
I might go nuts if I lost one any bigger but that might happen I guess.

Re: Biggest Bass You've Laid Eyes On [Re: Jpurdue] #12596502 01/26/18 05:25 PM
Huckleberry Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
When I was just a kid I caught a 14+ in a small 5 acre pond in Loxahatchee Fla., weighed it on one of those old time Zebco spring loaded scales. Since then I have not broke a double digit which is mind boggling with the amount of hours on the water I've put in since. I've got (5) fish that are in the 9 to 9.85 range.

Re: Biggest Bass You've Laid Eyes On [Re: Jpurdue] #12596525 01/26/18 05:37 PM
fivebites Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Netted a 12.4 at Fork. 30 yards from Duplechain when he caught his 14+.

2019 Chevy Tahoe
2018 Basscat Eyra 250 Proxs
PB Wife of 32 years!
PB Largemouth 9.56 Ray Roberts
Re: Biggest Bass You've Laid Eyes On [Re: fivebites] #12596536 01/26/18 05:59 PM
senko9S Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
i spent a decade basically living with 18 bass over 13 pounds at bps. the gvine record got real close to world record size and was well trained. saw a few cruisers and spawners on the cali delta well over 20 pounds

Re: Biggest Bass You've Laid Eyes On [Re: LSUfan] #12596592 01/26/18 06:39 PM
D
Dr JL Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Originally Posted By: LSUfan
I was sitting in the restaurant at Rainswood Marina eating a burger. It was just before dark and I had been on the water with clients all day. I saw this older boat pull into the gas dock and tie up. These two guys fumbled around in the boat and pulled this fish out of the livewell. He starts walking up the bank toward the store.
I run over to the front of the store where Bill Kells is sitting at the cash register and tell him, "A new state record is about to walk around the corner!"

About that time Jerry New & partner rounds the corner carrying this fish and walks into the store.

We go out into the little room where the live minnows were kept and instruct Jerry to put his fish into a bait tank to keep it cool until the GW can get there. Bill and I both agree this fish is well over 17 pounds and could very easily eclipse Stevenson's State Record. Bill calls Gary Duggan and asks him to come witness the catch.

Gary shows up about 30 mins later and Bill & I pull this massive fish out of the bait tank and sit her on the scale. She misses being a new state record by less than one ounce! Being that this was a late summer fish, there is no telling what she would have weighed in Feb but she was STACKED!!!

My dad, J.E. Hamm, was the guy who had taken Jerry fishing that night. He missed a bite and told Jerry to throw in behind him, and well the results of that cast will live in history forever. She was so big that she wouldn't fit in the net so dad had to lift her in the boat! They did a local TV show that showcased Jerry and my dad releasing her back into the lake a few months later.

I can't tell you the number of double digit fish that my dad pulled out of that lake and several were caught off of that spot. I enjoy looking through his old pictures of all of them and I can remember one instance we had just launched the boat into Little Caney and he caught one that was between 14-15lbs. I asked him if he was going to keep it and turn it in and he smiled and said "After you have lipped a 17lb+ you only have one goal while fishing", he then said "thank you" to her and put her back in the water. I thought the other guys who were in another boat but fishing with us were going to come unglued because they saw the size of it and couldn't believe he released her lol.

That lake was an amazing place back in those days and I was blessed with a dad that would drive 3+ hrs one way 2 times a week with me in tow to fish it. He spent years driving around that lake with paper graphs gathering information, bringing it home and studying it! I swear he knows almost every bend in every creek out there, but that was his way of doing things. It is and always will be a special place and I have revisited the spot several times where "Carol" came from in hopes history will repeat itself!

Jerry and dad were partners for a long time and both were given replicas of "Carol".

Thanks for sharing that story!
I didnt know anything about it but always see that name on the top 50 list.

Re: Biggest Bass You've Laid Eyes On [Re: Jpurdue] #12596668 01/26/18 07:45 PM
1oldbassguy Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
My PB was the biggest @ 12.4lbs , she was so fat , she didn't really put up much of a fight . My second is a cool story . I catch a 11.3lbs on a spinnerbait , absolute beast of a fighter . I am by myself , and knowing my son wouldn't believe me if I didn't get a pic , I move about 200yards down in this cove and there was a 16 year old and a 12 year old in a 12 foot john boat , anchored up , I get close enough to ask them if they could take a pic of a really big bass ---of course they say yes . I pull this bass out and both these boys freak out -- the younger one is beside himself with joy . After the pics , I ask the younger one if he would release it --- I give him the bass -- and he is shaking , I calm him down and tell him how to make sure she is OK , then he lets her swim away . It was just about dark and as I head off , I hear these two boys talking about how big she was . I take my boat out of the water , and the boys are right after me . The 12 year old is sitting in truck next to my truck and thanks me again for letting him handle the bass , I say OK , walk over and hand him the spinnerbait I used to catch her and tell him it brought me good luck and I hope he can do the same . I am pretty sure they will never forget that bass .

Re: Biggest Bass You've Laid Eyes On [Re: LSUfan] #12596689 01/26/18 08:00 PM
Ken A. Online Content
Groovy
Online Content
Groovy
Originally Posted By: LSUfan

I remember Jerry & your father. Very nice men.

As we waited on the GW to arrive, I was congratulating Jerry on his catch and telling him that his fish might very well be THE ONE. He asked me what I meant and I told him I thought he had just broken the State Record. He looked at me in shock & disbelief. I don't think he had any idea how truly big his fish was before we weighed it.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide