Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Squaw Creek Report [Re: SC-001] #12582499 01/17/18 02:48 PM
Fishingking Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: Bossbowman
Originally Posted By: Fishingking
I am pretty sure all of the net caster are keeping them. Get them off of the lake and I will bet you see an improvement over time. They have personally laid waste to several of my spots.
I've never seen a single one there, now at fairfield thats a different story.
I see 5 to 6 boats with 4 to 5 in the boat everytime I go. realmad

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Squaw Creek Report [Re: cjbles] #12582517 01/17/18 02:56 PM
Gamblinman Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Go to paper tournaments only.

Re: Squaw Creek Report [Re: cjbles] #12582640 01/17/18 04:00 PM
J
JeffLStevens Offline
Angler
Angler
J
The best way to ensure no fish are harmed is to not fish. Everyone has that choice. I read a study a few weeks ago that indicated that the mortality rate on just catching and releasing (due to deep hooked or tongue hooked fish)combined with the fish that you break off while fishing is just as high as the mortality rate caused by weigh in's at tournaments. Some fish for fun, some fish to keep and clean and eat the fish and some fish for tournament competition.....but the simple fact is that if you fish, you ARE going to kill fish.

Personally, I don't know of any tournament fishermen that fish the larger tournaments with bigger payouts that don't do everything they can to ensure the survival of their fish. Those pointing fingers at big tournaments, too many tournaments, etc.....need to focus on what they do and understand that they cause death in fishing as well simply by hooking and releasing and/or breaking off fish. Just because you don't enjoy what some of us enjoy doesn't mean that you are doing any less harm. Best way for YOU to ensure that you are doing all that you can do to not harm any fish is to go golfing instead.

Re: Squaw Creek Report [Re: cjbles] #12582895 01/17/18 06:33 PM
S
Scoundrel Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
Unfortunately Ive killed quite a few things golfing as well. On a serious note perhaps part of the Squaw problem may be too many bass 3 lbs & under for the lake to support. I havent been in a long time but everyone seems to be catching large numbers per trip for several years now...maybe there are too many of that size class.

Last edited by Scoundrel; 01/17/18 07:32 PM.
Re: Squaw Creek Report [Re: JeffLStevens] #12582956 01/17/18 07:06 PM
206champion Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: JeffLStevens
The best way to ensure no fish are harmed is to not fish. Everyone has that choice. I read a study a few weeks ago that indicated that the mortality rate on just catching and releasing (due to deep hooked or tongue hooked fish)combined with the fish that you break off while fishing is just as high as the mortality rate caused by weigh in's at tournaments. Some fish for fun, some fish to keep and clean and eat the fish and some fish for tournament competition.....but the simple fact is that if you fish, you ARE going to kill fish.

Personally, I don't know of any tournament fishermen that fish the larger tournaments with bigger payouts that don't do everything they can to ensure the survival of their fish. Those pointing fingers at big tournaments, too many tournaments, etc.....need to focus on what they do and understand that they cause death in fishing as well simply by hooking and releasing and/or breaking off fish. Just because you don't enjoy what some of us enjoy doesn't mean that you are doing any less harm. Best way for YOU to ensure that you are doing all that you can do to not harm any fish is to go golfing instead.

Well said I agree with you 100% .

Re: Squaw Creek Report [Re: cjbles] #12583048 01/17/18 08:08 PM
J
Jumpin J Offline
Angler
Angler
J
The millions and millions of re-producing, fry/plankton/bait eating, Tilapia are the problem. All the decline coincides with their population explosion. If they would shock for them, and give to the needy, the lake would heal itself.

Re: Squaw Creek Report [Re: James Biggs] #12583111 01/17/18 08:37 PM
PEDRO H. Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted By: James Biggs
Originally Posted By: JWalls
I do know the number of fish between 5 and 8 pounds being brought to weigh in has gone down. I am not sure if they are mostly dead and gone (killed by poor handling or old age) or if they have been enlightened by the number of baits they have bit and seen and just harder to catch. When it first reopened big ones were easy to catch shallow, then they were in 15 ft and now hard to catch in over 30.

There has been only two days since Oct. that there were more than 110 boats and one of them was Fish N Chips (Local Charity Tournament). Most weekends 40-50 of the people with a reservation do not show up. Media is only having one tournament and TTO is only good sized one that I have heard of this year. BLT is done. The opens are down and most only seem to have 25 boats or so in them. Some of them have gone to 3 fish and most of those guys are regulars and know how to fizz a fish. They would probably be out there fishing anyway. Blaming Pros and tournaments for the bigger bass not being caught and not including all the just for fun fisherman seems like a stretch. I have not heard of that on Rayburn, Toledo, Falcon and such. Speaking mainly to large fish dying in weigh-in from not being fizzed.

As to the fee to reduce tournaments. I think the tournaments have reduced themselves already. Does not seem fair to small clubs to have to pay a big fee to fish a warm water lake in winter. Still lots of keepers being caught. Only a couple of lakes in the state where most of fisherman have a limit at weigh in Jan. We got spoiled because of the lake not being fished for several years.

I think all lakes cycle. The bait fish grow good some years; the bass have good spawn other years. Fishing gets good, pressure comes, fishing gets bad pressure leaves. Starts over. Lots of variables. On Squaw these thing happen faster due to the year round warm water. Tilapia are a big issue in my opinion. They have helped some bass lakes like Falcon and wrecked others like Lake Calaveras. I like to blame them for reduction but it is all speculation.

I am curious to know how few tournaments a year the lake should have to bring back the larger bass and how that would be determined. Most clubs or opens do not check in with the park so I am not sure if anyone even knows how many have occurred over last few years.
Sorry cjbles we have gotten a little off topic on your post. I will shoot you a pm to answer that.

I agree 100%

I agree too.
But I think the lake is going through a cycle. I read the average life span of a bass is about 16 years, considering that number is based a regular non power plant lake. I wonder if that number goes down in a hot water lake like squaw creek? I'm no expert though. Just Relax LOL I also agree we got really spoiled when the lake opened back up.

Pete B. Hernandez
Matthew 4:19

www.funnsunboats.com
Re: Squaw Creek Report [Re: PEDRO H.] #12583177 01/17/18 09:15 PM
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Groovy
Originally Posted By: SKEETER_MAN_225
Originally Posted By: James Biggs
Originally Posted By: JWalls
I do know the number of fish between 5 and 8 pounds being brought to weigh in has gone down. I am not sure if they are mostly dead and gone (killed by poor handling or old age) or if they have been enlightened by the number of baits they have bit and seen and just harder to catch. When it first reopened big ones were easy to catch shallow, then they were in 15 ft and now hard to catch in over 30.

There has been only two days since Oct. that there were more than 110 boats and one of them was Fish N Chips (Local Charity Tournament). Most weekends 40-50 of the people with a reservation do not show up. Media is only having one tournament and TTO is only good sized one that I have heard of this year. BLT is done. The opens are down and most only seem to have 25 boats or so in them. Some of them have gone to 3 fish and most of those guys are regulars and know how to fizz a fish. They would probably be out there fishing anyway. Blaming Pros and tournaments for the bigger bass not being caught and not including all the just for fun fisherman seems like a stretch. I have not heard of that on Rayburn, Toledo, Falcon and such. Speaking mainly to large fish dying in weigh-in from not being fizzed.

As to the fee to reduce tournaments. I think the tournaments have reduced themselves already. Does not seem fair to small clubs to have to pay a big fee to fish a warm water lake in winter. Still lots of keepers being caught. Only a couple of lakes in the state where most of fisherman have a limit at weigh in Jan. We got spoiled because of the lake not being fished for several years.

I think all lakes cycle. The bait fish grow good some years; the bass have good spawn other years. Fishing gets good, pressure comes, fishing gets bad pressure leaves. Starts over. Lots of variables. On Squaw these thing happen faster due to the year round warm water. Tilapia are a big issue in my opinion. They have helped some bass lakes like Falcon and wrecked others like Lake Calaveras. I like to blame them for reduction but it is all speculation.

I am curious to know how few tournaments a year the lake should have to bring back the larger bass and how that would be determined. Most clubs or opens do not check in with the park so I am not sure if anyone even knows how many have occurred over last few years.
Sorry cjbles we have gotten a little off topic on your post. I will shoot you a pm to answer that.

I agree 100%

I agree too.
But I think the lake is going through a cycle. I read the average life span of a bass is about 16 years, considering that number is based a regular non power plant lake. I wonder if that number goes down in a hot water lake like squaw creek? I'm no expert though. Just Relax LOL I also agree we got really spoiled when the lake opened back up.

I agree as well. My guess is the average life expectancy of a bass on a powerplant lake is 40% of that. They live fast, love hard, & die young.

Re: Squaw Creek Report [Re: Ken A.] #12583195 01/17/18 09:23 PM
C
Chris G Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
C
Originally Posted By: Ken A.

I agree as well. My guess is the average life expectancy of a bass on a powerplant lake is 40% of that. They live fast, love hard, & die young.

I've gotten to know the TPWD Biologist for the area that includes Cypress Springs, Monticello and Bob Sandlin (Tim Bister) pretty well and he said about the same thing. The reason you don't see DD's coming from most power plant lakes is because they simply don't live long enough to get there. I haven't been on Squaw in years so have no idea what's happened out there. It sounds like there are several factors in play but unless they've done a recent survey there won't be any real science to back up any of the numerous opinions. I just hope it rebounds for those that fish it all the time. I don't go over there because I always forget to turn my lights off when backing down the ramp. bolt

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Squaw Creek Report [Re: Chris G] #12583597 01/18/18 01:31 AM
John175☮ Offline
MACHO MAN
MACHO MAN
Originally Posted By: Chris G
I don't go over there because I always forget to turn my lights off when backing down the ramp. bolt

I don't mind people not turning off their headlights. I have a set of LED spotlights as my backup lights on my trailer.

“Do not pray for easier lives. Pray to be stronger men.” -JFK
Re: Squaw Creek Report [Re: cjbles] #12583643 01/18/18 02:02 AM
Champion1 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
went to squaw last summer and the water temp was 108 how can they survive in that????

www.TuffSkinz.net
www.basscat.com
�It�s all in your head. It doesn�t matter if your 6 or 60. You can participate in this sport."-Rick Clunn
Re: Squaw Creek Report [Re: Champion1] #12583649 01/18/18 02:05 AM
Clark3 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: Champion1
went to squaw last summer and the water temp was 108 how can they survive in that????

By going down 80' deep and heading north

[Linked Image]
Re: Squaw Creek Report [Re: cjbles] #12583857 01/18/18 04:17 AM
LvilleLrat Online Happy
TFF Celebrity
Online Happy
TFF Celebrity

www.sure-life.com
EDGE HEDZ Shaky Head Jigs

Re: Squaw Creek Report [Re: Scoundrel] #12592824 01/24/18 02:24 AM
T
TxDanFishMan Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: Scoundrel
Unfortunately Ive killed quite a few things golfing as well. On a serious note perhaps part of the Squaw problem may be too many bass 3 lbs & under for the lake to support. I havent been in a long time but everyone seems to be catching large numbers per trip for several years now...maybe there are too many of that size class.

OK, let's be serious. Your golf game needs a lot of help. roflmao

Slide right, coming in .... Fish On!
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide