Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Zebra mussels and silver carp #12591092 01/23/18 01:32 AM
S
Smile-n-Nod Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
S
What effects are zebra mussels and silver carp expected to have on Texas fishing in the years ahead?

Brett
Re: Zebra mussels and silver carp [Re: Smile-n-Nod] #12591291 01/23/18 03:22 AM
C
C.M. Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Positive. There will be fewer boats, clearer water and bigger fish
laugh

Re: Zebra mussels and silver carp [Re: C.M.] #12591444 01/23/18 06:17 AM
T
TXMulti-Species Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: C.M.
Positive. There will be fewer boats, clearer water and bigger fish
laugh

All studies point to Asian Carp harming every native species' population, causing them to decrease in number and size. Please do not advocate for an invasive species, protect our native wildlife.

Catch and release. The dream - to catch one of every species of Freshwater fish in our great state! If only I can resist Carp...
https://txmultispecies.imgur.com/
[Linked Image]
Re: Zebra mussels and silver carp [Re: Smile-n-Nod] #12591470 01/23/18 11:02 AM
RedRanger Online Content
burro desagradable
Online Content
burro desagradable
Originally Posted By: Smile-n-Nod
What effects are zebra mussels and silver carp expected to have on Texas fishing in the years ahead?

Don't believe the hysteria the TPWD tries to feed you about the Zebra Mussel.

Seems as if they for some reason have decided boater are the target for Zebra Mussels and thus have focused on writing tickets to more boaters.

Re: Zebra mussels and silver carp [Re: Smile-n-Nod] #12591597 01/23/18 01:43 PM
B
Bilboinsa Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
I know that the official word for ZM in Canyon Lake came out several months ago. But I can tell you I have found them on branches brought up at the far west end (upriver) of the lake and as far east as Toms Creek. Apears they have been here for quite awhile. Have not heard of any boating problems yet.

Re: Zebra mussels and silver carp [Re: Bilboinsa] #12591959 01/23/18 04:35 PM
T
TXMulti-Species Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: RedRanger

Seems as if they for some reason have decided boater are the target for Zebra Mussels and thus have focused on writing tickets to more boaters.

Originally Posted By: Bilboinsa
I know that the official word for ZM in Canyon Lake came out several months ago. But I can tell you I have found them on branches brought up at the far west end (upriver) of the lake and as far east as Toms Creek. Apears they have been here for quite awhile. Have not heard of any boating problems yet.

While it may seem to simply be an inconvenience now, Zebra Mussels can have a devastating effect on our environment in the future. Just like any other invasive species, they not only threaten to negatively impact our native fish and wildlife, but they've been proven to. In the Hudson river, ZM have caused microzooplankton populations to decrease 70%, and phytoplankton populations to decrease 80%. Not only does this effect the fish that feed on these plankton (like the threatened Paddlefish, Gizzard Shad, and many smaller species), but it disrupts the entire food chain. Plankton make up most of the living matter in a body of water, and serve as the food base for the entire ecosystem. A decrease in plankton is a decrease in everything.

http://texaslivingwaters.org/zebra-mussels-threaten-native-texas-species/
https://www.caryinstitute.org/sites/defa..._fact_sheet.pdf
http://texasaquaticscience.org/lakes-ponds-aquatic-science-texas/

Catch and release. The dream - to catch one of every species of Freshwater fish in our great state! If only I can resist Carp...
[Linked Image]
Re: Zebra mussels and silver carp [Re: Smile-n-Nod] #12592297 01/23/18 08:39 PM
361V Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Bridgeport dropped a few feet after being full the last year or more. The muscles are thick as barnacles in some areas on the newly exposed rocks. Fishing soft plastics shallow around these rocks we did break our line for no apparent reason a couple times but the fish didnt seem to mind them.

Last edited by 361V; 01/23/18 08:42 PM.
Re: Zebra mussels and silver carp [Re: Smile-n-Nod] #12592363 01/23/18 09:36 PM
D
driedmeat Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
D
Wonder if gaspergoo (fresh water drum) will feed on zebra muscles..?..

maybe state will start a gaspergoo stocking program!

Re: Zebra mussels and silver carp [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12592706 01/24/18 01:16 AM
C
C.M. Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Originally Posted By: TXMulti-Species
Positive. There will be fewer boats, clearer water and bigger fish laugh

All studies point to Asian Carp harming every native species' population, causing them to decrease in number and size. Please do not advocate for an invasive species, protect our native wildlife.

Omg! We all are going to die! Aren't you guys tired of all doom and gloom [censored] by now? You hear same song for decades already. There is nothing you can do about mussels, carp and other hot subjects. They've even drained a lake or two dry with zero outcome. Just relax...

Re: Zebra mussels and silver carp [Re: C.M.] #12592827 01/24/18 02:26 AM
T
TXMulti-Species Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Positive. There will be fewer boats, clearer water and bigger fish laugh

Omg! We all are going to die! Aren't you guys tired of all doom and gloom [censored] by now? You hear same song for decades already. There is nothing you can do about mussels, carp and other hot subjects. They've even drained a lake or two dry with zero outcome. Just relax...

I suppose we're just supposed to sit back and let our state be ravaged? Where's your sense of responsibility? Don't you want your children and their children to enjoy the same fisheries you do? Nihilism will only exacerbate our problems.

[Linked Image]
Re: Zebra mussels and silver carp [Re: driedmeat] #12592840 01/24/18 02:31 AM
T
TXMulti-Species Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: driedmeat
Wonder if gaspergoo (fresh water drum) will feed on zebra muscles..?..

maybe state will start a gaspergoo stocking program!

There's been research on this, but it only slows down the inevitable because of the mussel's reproductive rate.
https://pubs.er.usgs.gov/publication/70024213

[Linked Image]
Re: Zebra mussels and silver carp [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12593080 01/24/18 05:07 AM
B
Bilboinsa Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
I believe he is just voicing his opinion that hand-wringing wont solve anything. And unless and until a solution is found, we may as well enjoy the waters as always. Peace.

Re: Zebra mussels and silver carp [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12593163 01/24/18 12:06 PM
RedRanger Online Content
burro desagradable
Online Content
burro desagradable
Originally Posted By: RedRanger

Originally Posted By: Bilboinsa

While it may seem to simply be an inconvenience now, Zebra Mussels can have a devastating effect on our environment in the future. Just like any other invasive species, they not only threaten to negatively impact our native fish and wildlife, but they've been proven to. In the Hudson river, ZM have caused microzooplankton populations to decrease 70%, and phytoplankton populations to decrease 80%. Not only does this effect the fish that feed on these plankton (like the threatened Paddlefish, Gizzard Shad, and many smaller species), but it disrupts the entire food chain. Plankton make up most of the living matter in a body of water, and serve as the food base for the entire ecosystem. A decrease in plankton is a decrease in everything.

http://texaslivingwaters.org/zebra-mussels-threaten-native-texas-species/
https://www.caryinstitute.org/sites/defa..._fact_sheet.pdf
http://texasaquaticscience.org/lakes-ponds-aquatic-science-texas/

Sounds like you need to change your handle to "Chicken Little"

Life will go on and the lakes will adapt.

Lake in Texas are invasive, they are man made.

Get a grip and don't fear the future..........

Re: Zebra mussels and silver carp [Re: RedRanger] #12593618 01/24/18 05:30 PM
P
PKfishin Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
P
Your right Redranger. They never miss an attempt to get more revenue. Licence to fish, $7 to launch and a big fine for something.

John 21:3 Simon Peter saith unto them, I go a fishing. They say unto him, We also go with thee.
Re: Zebra mussels and silver carp [Re: driedmeat] #12593620 01/24/18 05:32 PM
P
PKfishin Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
P
driedmeat: At Lake Murray on OK the water is so clear it looks like a swimming pool. You can see the channel cats eating zebra mussels on the bottom. I've seen this in clear water at Texoma as well. I think those drum eat them as well as Bluegills. A food source that cannot swim away will not go unnoticed.

John 21:3 Simon Peter saith unto them, I go a fishing. They say unto him, We also go with thee.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide