Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Yellowstone ideas and help [Re: hawki213] #12588441 01/21/18 06:51 PM
M
Morpheus Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
M
Originally Posted By: hawki213
It is one of the most cool, awesomeness, beautiful places on earth and everybody should go once. We just spent a week after Labor Day last year thinking it would be less crowded. It wasn't. Just be aware it is a 2 lane blacktop road with no shoulders. Speed limit is 45 mph or less. Very few places to pass slower traffic. It is very crowded. Traffic is really bad. They are always working on some part of the road so expect delays.

If you are camping make reservations or have your first come first serve campsite by noon. If your staying in the park hotels you might want to start making reservations now. If someone sees a chipmunk off the side of the road they will stop to get a picture. Which causes a traffic jam for a mile. A bison several miles, an elk 5 miles, bear or wolf and you could be stuck there for days. The bison are really cool to see they generally have at least 1 or 2 asian people hanging off their horns and they are still clicking away with their cameras. Its just insane watching the people walking right up to the bison. The bison are giant and can fling people a long way with just a flick of their horns. Don't be one of these people.

The best way, time. and places to see animals. Have a couple of good pair of binoculars and a good spotting scope is nice. Get up about and hour before sunrise be at either Lamar Valley for bears, wolves and bison. Hayden Valley for elk. Be there early to get one of the pull out spots they fill up fast. Go see the geysers and mud pots and the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone during the day. Fishing in the park is so so. If you are willing to walk away from the road 1/2 mile or more it gets better. The fear of the bears really cuts down on people getting very far from the road. I have fished there a lot. I have never encountered a bear while I was fishing but I do keep my head on a swivel cause they are around.

West Yellowstone is pretty touristy. Lot places to shop. They have a grizzly and wolf habitat(zoo). Several hotels here. If you still have time go out thru West Entrance and head down hiway 191 when you get to the other side of Hebgen Lake turn and go up to the earthquake area its pretty amazing to see the area. There is an outlook area thats like a little museum that explains everything. Then get back on 191 towards Big Sky its a ski resort where a bunch of rich people have built giant houses up on the side of the mountains and I would skip it and stay on 191 turn onto Spanish Creek Road. You will be passing thru Ted Turners Flying D Ranch. It's about a 10 mile drive there is a good campground at the end. It's way cool road and lots of animals. It's some Big Country. If you are not camping head back out on to 191 head down to four corners.

Stop at the Bozeman Hotsprings relax and take a soak. Next day head into Bozeman lot of neat stuff in Bozeman. Leave Bozeman head down I90 to Livingston turn and come into the east entrance of YNP. Either on the way up or on your way home you have to go thru South entrance of YNP to the Grand Tetons National Park. Its right there. GO trust me you'll thank me later. I agree with the Cody area also some cool stuff.

Not sure when the best time to go is. It really is a beating. There is just too many people and cars. They really should limit the amount of people in the park. But it is definitely worth it once. There are a lot of one of a kind things to see. I lived outside of Bozeman for many years have been to YNP many times. Like I said we were just there in Sept. camping. The first nite the wolves started howling sounded like they were right there with us. The elk were bugling everywhere the whole time we were there it was quite the experience.

This is very accurate. Everyone should go once is correct. We were there the week after Labor Day 2017 and I was amazed at the people there. You have to wait in line to get a parking place at just about all the scenic parking lots. Wait in line to use the outhouse. We stayed in the Park many years ago and won't do that again. There was no air-conditioning or TV. Don't know about now. We stayed at West Yellowstone and it was fine. Had to wait one hour on Sunday morning to eat breakfast at a restaurant. You will have to wait on just about everything. IF you don't want to wait, don't go. The scenery is truly amazing, but the amount of people make one trip enough. Another place to go is Glacier Park and drive the Going to the Sun Road. Again when it is open there are people. One state that doesn't get the same publicity, but is amazing is Idaho. I have traveled there a bunch of times from here in Montana and it is gorgeous.

Re: Yellowstone ideas and help [Re: RATZ] #12588472 01/21/18 07:11 PM
SheldonS Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
You will have a much better experience if you go before or after the peak season. Weather will not be as good.

Re: Yellowstone ideas and help [Re: RATZ] #12588490 01/21/18 07:28 PM
M
MBradford Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
M
Don't swim in the thermal pools.

[Linked Image]
Re: Yellowstone ideas and help [Re: T Bird] #12588507 01/21/18 07:41 PM
J
JCG57 Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted By: T Bird
You should have a Pic-a-nick with Yogi and Boo Boo. roflmao

No, Yogi and Boo Boo reside in Jellystone Park, not Yellowstone Park. The good news is you only have to drive to Burleson!

Re: Yellowstone ideas and help [Re: RATZ] #12588527 01/21/18 07:51 PM
G
Gusick Online Sick
TFF Guru
Online Sick
TFF Guru
G
I you want to get away from the crowds, rent a boat and drive to the SE arm of the lake.

Re: Yellowstone ideas and help [Re: RATZ] #12590667 01/22/18 09:24 PM
Charlie Brown III Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I would go in late May (before kids are out for summer), if you go earlier its going to be really cold. You're still likely to get into a snow storm while at high elevation inside the park. It is much cheaper to fly in to Cody. If I were to do it again, I would rent one of those small RV's and find a camp each night since the park is so big. A lot of time was spent traveling back and forth to our lodge between Cody and the East entrance.

Everything in the park is work seeing. 4-5 days would be ideal to see most of the attractions.

Re: Yellowstone ideas and help [Re: RATZ] #12590701 01/22/18 09:41 PM
S
skeeterK Offline
Angler
Angler
S
We were there the first week of May in 2014 and most of the park was still closed for the winter. The fishing was excellent though.

Re: Yellowstone ideas and help [Re: RATZ] #12590817 01/22/18 10:45 PM
M
MrRoachie Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
M
The inlaws are taking me and Mrs Roachie the end of September.

We are flying into Bozeman and staying at Big Sky.

Have a friend who goes every year and has the radio frequencies of the researchers. Not hard to follow them and see wolves, bear, Elk... whatever.

Looking forward to it.

I wanna find an elk shed and bring back.

God loves you just as much as anybody else!!

Jesus offered His life as a gift for you. Please accept it!
Re: Yellowstone ideas and help [Re: MrRoachie] #12590829 01/22/18 10:50 PM
SheldonS Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: MrRoachie

I wanna find an elk shed and bring back.

Be careful taking one from a National Park.

Re: Yellowstone ideas and help [Re: RATZ] #12590853 01/22/18 11:05 PM
E
eagle 2 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
E
We stayed at Teton Village in a condo, which gave us access to the JD Rockefeller park and Jenny Lake, we commuted daily to YP, we saved big $$$ by cooking our own meals too, be careful driving at sunrise or sunset, bison, moose and elk are invisible this time of day. Usually a band or 2 playing in Jackson Hole on weekends.

My favorite place on earth

I will be back. I'm never truly gone.....Last post by Brad RIP

Re: Yellowstone ideas and help [Re: RATZ] #12590863 01/22/18 11:16 PM
SheldonS Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
You really need to do some of the hikes and not just drive around.

https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/dhsampler.htm

I could spend 10 days there easily. Fairy Falls and Mystic Falls are really nice.

Be prepared for major weather changes in a short period of time.

Try to spend a day or two in Cody and see the museum.

The distances between places are much farther than you think.

Bring good glass.

Would love to visit in September when the elks are bugling.

Re: Yellowstone ideas and help [Re: SheldonS] #12590874 01/22/18 11:28 PM
RATZ Offline OP
Activity Coordinator
OP Offline
Activity Coordinator
Originally Posted By: SheldonS

Do they have some easy hikes as we will have a 9 year old and a 3 year old with us?

We did a few simple ones at Big Bend a year and a half ago, but then my son was able to fit in a on the back baby carrier for when it got too difficult or he got tired. He's probably too big for it now.

If God is your co-pilot then change seats

https://abaltcustomlures.com/

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Yellowstone ideas and help [Re: RATZ] #12590939 01/23/18 12:13 AM
SheldonS Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: RATZ
Originally Posted By: SheldonS

Do they have some easy hikes as we will have a 9 year old and a 3 year old with us?

We did a few simple ones at Big Bend a year and a half ago, but then my son was able to fit in a on the back baby carrier for when it got too difficult or he got tired. He's probably too big for it now.

Both of those I posted are easy.

Re: Yellowstone ideas and help [Re: RATZ] #12590951 01/23/18 12:18 AM
SheldonS Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru

Re: Yellowstone ideas and help [Re: RATZ] #12592203 01/23/18 07:15 PM
jcarring99 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
We are considering a trip there as well. Just kind of figuring out what the best plan would be to spend a week or so in that area. Maybe start out in Cody for a couple of days and then what? Move around to the Tetons area for 3 or 4 days? Just curious about this as well.

Joel Carrington
214-770-7978
email: joel@carringtonroofingdfw.com
Carrington Roofing & Construction, LLC
For financing click: https://app.gethearth.com/partners/carrington-roofing-construction-llc/joel
www.carringtonroofingdfw.com
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide