Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Little help here guys... [Re: ETXfisher91] #12588758 01/21/18 09:59 PM
L
lconn4 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
L
This would also work for you. Too bad its in Houston area.

https://houston.craigslist.org/boa/d/nucanoe-frontier-12-kayak/6465026734.html

A good rule of angling philosophy is not to interfere with another fisherman's ways of being happy, unless you want to be hated.
Zane Grey, Tales of Fishes, 1919

https://vimeo.com/73372194
https://vimeo.com/72859045

Re: Little help here guys... [Re: ETXfisher91] #12589658 01/22/18 04:21 AM
J
Jim Ford Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
He has a kayak already. I know that everybody pushing him at a new yak means well, but the boat he has will work. Let him use it and learn in it; as his skills and knowledge develop he will figure out what he needs to look at for the next boat.

Re: Little help here guys... [Re: Jim Ford] #12589667 01/22/18 04:33 AM
T
Tallgrass05 Offline
bill maher's protege
bill maher's protege
T
Originally Posted By: Jim Ford
He has a kayak already. I know that everybody pushing him at a new yak means well, but the boat he has will work. Let him use it and learn in it; as his skills and knowledge develop he will figure out what he needs to look at for the next boat.

I wonder how many people tried a kayak that didn't fit them, gave up, and never tried kayaking again. They wouldn't know what they missed if only they had the right kayak.

Re: Little help here guys... [Re: ETXfisher91] #12590189 01/22/18 05:08 PM
J
Jim Ford Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
"I wonder how many people tried a kayak that didn't fit them, gave up, and never tried kayaking again. They wouldn't know what they missed if only they had the right kayak."

I wonder how many people got a kayak, got told by all the "experts" that their stuff is all wrong, won't work, is dangerous, etc. etc., and gave up before they ever got started. I understand you mean well. But the man has to learn, and there is absolutely no reason he can't do it in the boat he already has. He said he weighs 250. The boat's capacity is 395. He has ample safe margin there. He will learn what he wants, what he needs (or that the sport isn't for him after all), and what works for him, and trade up to the ideal boat for him -- after he masters the basics. But the boat he has now is a boat he can learn the ropes in. Safely. Don't kill his ambition before he gets started. Your contention that "the kayak doesn't fit him" is way premature.

You know, when I used to hang out on some of the tactical forums I would see over and over, a newb would buy a rifle and scope, sign on to the forum, and post up his new stick (which he was justifiably proud of) and seek some advice on long range precision shooting. Immediately all the gear snobs would tell him his Savage bolt gun was junk (it's actually a great rifle) and his Leupold scope was garbage (it's a great scope), and he'd never get anywhere until he traded up to an AI (or something else with a big name and price tag) and a Nightforce (or something else on the high end)scope, and often the guy would just back out quietly and give up. Not everybody starts with the high end stuff. I know a VERY accomplished guide who fishes out of a 10' bargain basement sit-in yak; one the experts all tell the newbs to stay away from. But he catches all the fish.....

The guy needs some trigger time in his kayak. He needs to learn that the sensation of instability will quickly be overcome. He needs to figure out from his observation of others and trying things out for himself how to organize his boat, and a little experience will tell him whether he needs a wide, stable barge or a sleek, fast, easy-paddling boat. He'll figure it out. And he'll do it a lot more quickly and confidently if all the "experts" aren't telling him his stuff's no good and will never work.

Re: Little help here guys... [Re: Jim Ford] #12590368 01/22/18 07:04 PM
L
lconn4 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
L
Originally Posted By: Jim Ford

It will work if he doesn't take too much gear but I sure wouldn't want to be the one that encouraged him to get out with limited experience and water and air temps what they are now. Obviously he has never practiced any reentries in the kayak. I don't blame him one bit for going out in cold temps as the attraction is too strong once you have the means in hand. My encouragement was based on his saying he would probably just give it to his wife (she must have loved it) and get himself a new one.

I looked at the numbers... 375 lb rating for kayak and 250 lb weight of paddler (without consideration for any additional weight.. winter clothing, rods, anchor, tackle box, ice chest if he keeps fish) and he is at 66.6 of max capacity according to manufacturer. I can only judge by my own experience of loading my own kayak to 70% of manufacturer recommendations, its not fun, even for experienced paddlers. Can it be done, yep. Would you want your own family member trying it this time of year? If it were summer time... I'd say go for it. Its not summertime.

I'm just glad he came here to let us know his thoughts and get the differing opinions so that he will be more careful at whatever he decides. cheers

A good rule of angling philosophy is not to interfere with another fisherman's ways of being happy, unless you want to be hated.

Re: Little help here guys... [Re: ETXfisher91] #12591455 01/23/18 08:01 AM
L
lconn4 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
L
Just watched this, good stuff.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=272&v=PgrifW2w6ac[/video]

Re: Little help here guys... [Re: ETXfisher91] #12603304 01/31/18 04:07 AM
M
MPF Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
M
Austin kayak has demo days in the spring and fall. Go there and try them out before you buy anything.
https://www.austinkayak.com/demo
There are lots of manufactures there with all kinds of kayaks to try out on the water and its free. If you can't make it to them then go to a kayak shop and talk to them. Try before you buy because they are all different.
I have a similar build as you and I found the Ocean Big Game II kayak was a perfect fit for my size and weight and its great for fishing and general paddling. I stay nice and dry with no water coming through the scupper holes getting me wet. Very stable too and holds a lot of extra weight if going on long trips. Its rudder capable but I found I haven't needed it as it tracks pretty good and has decent hull speed.

Re: Little help here guys... [Re: ETXfisher91] #12609381 02/04/18 02:22 AM
Y
yak dog Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Y
you need a bigger yak for sure , for your size go with a wider yak if your wanting to stand. There are so many choices out there just be patient and try some out before you buy. If your buying used check the bottom for large cuts and ask about leaks from adding on stuff. There are always used kayaks on craigslist, TKF texas kayak fisherman and of course here TFF.

Rene
Re: Little help here guys... [Re: ETXfisher91] #12609574 02/04/18 05:20 AM
E
ETXfisher91 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
E
you guys wont kill my ambition... it will be a fun way for me and the wife to get out on the lake a different way besides the boat. I wish the water was warmer so I wouldn't have to worry about freezing my butt off if and WHEN I fall in laugh

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide